No-Bake SunButter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

SunButter and Chocolate Chip Granola Bars - 4

Being severely allergic to peanuts/nuts, along with the fact that most granola bars contain some kind of nut anyway even if they’re not processed in a facility with them, I can tell you that there are virtually no granola bars at the grocery store that I can eat – and believe me, I’ve looked. The closest I came were Special K breakfast bars, but after reading through an ingredient list filled with things I can’t pronounce, I decided to go another way. Fortunately, making your own granola bars at home is incredibly easy! You don’t even have to bake them (although you can if you like). I made these at the beginning of the week, and I still have plenty left for the next week and a half or so. A perfect quick breakfast to have on hand for when you’re on the go!

In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, salt, and chocolate chips. Add in the honey and mix until combined. Stir in the warm SunButter. (If the mixture isn’t sticking together well enough, just add more honey.)

SunButter and Chocolate Chip Granola Bars - 1

Press the mixture evenly into a greased 9×13″ baking dish and refrigerate at least 60 minutes.

SunButter and Chocolate Chip Granola Bars - 2

Cut them into bars, and then wrap them into single servings. Store them in the refrigerator so that they stay nice and chewy!

SunButter and Chocolate Chip Granola Bars - 3

Posted by on March 25, 2011.

Tags: , ,

Categories: breakfast & brunch

1. gorgeous! they are so so pretty :)

by tiffany (food finery) on Mar 25, 2011 at 12:03 am

2. What a great snack, I love granola bars. I like how easy these are to make too.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Mar 25, 2011 at 2:44 am

3. Love how you wrapped these! So cute!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Mar 25, 2011 at 6:35 am

4. These sound lovely! I love the idea of a “no-bake” bar. Yum!

by Katrina on Mar 25, 2011 at 7:07 am

5. I love these! I’ve been looking for a peanut butter bar for my husband (ironic) and these might work.

by Beth @ 990 Square on Mar 25, 2011 at 7:10 am

6. If there’s one thing I’m happy about, it’s that I’m not allergic to nuts. Mostly because they are EVERYWHERE! Even in the places you would least expect them.

I’m a big fan of make-your-own, even though I have no food allergies, and these sound super delicious and super easy! I love that I don’t even have to turn on the oven for them. Score.

by Joanne on Mar 25, 2011 at 7:27 am

7. This looks so so simple! I really should be making my own granola bars. I’ve never had sunbutter, but I think I’d probably love it, given I love sunflower seeds.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Mar 25, 2011 at 7:37 am

8. Nice, healthy snack…just what I need. I have been wanting to try and make granola bars (one of these days). These sound great:) Love your pretty packaging too.

by Raina on Mar 25, 2011 at 8:27 am

9. Hi, Tracy ~
    Mmmmm! Since I blog for SunButter, of course I love this recipe. And since I’m a mom always looking for new ideas (especially when you can sneak in wheat germ!), I really appreciate the inspriation! Thanks. So enjoying your posts!

by Elizabeth, blogger for SunButter on Mar 25, 2011 at 8:39 am

10. I was just thinking I needed to use the granola I made to whip up some bars… and now that I see this post I know I have to! :) Beautiful job!

by Amanda on Mar 25, 2011 at 8:48 am

11. I can’t imagine life with peanut allergies – be careful! :) Glad you took matters into your own hands. I’ve never tried Sunbutter but my sister loves it!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Mar 25, 2011 at 9:31 am

12. Even though I haven’t used sun butter before, it looks so great! Lovely recipe!

by Jenny Flake on Mar 25, 2011 at 9:32 am

13. Love the way you packaged these! They look and sound so good!

by megan @ whatmegansmaking on Mar 25, 2011 at 9:35 am

14. Thanks! I have the same trouble finding stuff for my son to eat that we can take with us…and this is a great option!!! I might try baking them so that they get a little crispy…;)

by Anna on Mar 25, 2011 at 9:43 am

15. I love, love, love making my own graonla bars! These look so healthy and yummy! I have never tried sun butter before, I will have to keep my eye out for it so I can make these yummy bars! :)

by Christina @Sweet Pea's Kitchen on Mar 25, 2011 at 10:07 am

16. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Question: can I use quick oats and other butter (like almond butter)? Would it changes the flavor or texture? I have been looking for an easy granola recipe and this sounds like a winner :)

by Grace on Mar 25, 2011 at 11:13 am

17. Homemade granola bars are the best. Love these!

by Maria on Mar 25, 2011 at 11:53 am

18. These look yummy! I have one child with a severe peanut allergy who is also allergic to almonds, and I am allergic to pecans. I’ll definitely be giving these a try! :)

by Michelle Smith on Mar 25, 2011 at 12:18 pm

19. I’ve never used SunButter before but this recipe looks great!

by Melissa @ Melissa Bakes on Mar 25, 2011 at 12:28 pm

20. SunButter is the best, and these bars look so yummy! I’m allergic to peanuts and tree nuts, so I miss out on granola bars too. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I’ll definitely make them sometime.

by Lindsay on Mar 25, 2011 at 12:47 pm

21. Tracy, this is such a lovely recipe! Your photos and new banner are beautiful, too. Love those tulips! :)

by Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on Mar 25, 2011 at 12:57 pm

22. Thank you for posting this! I ‘m always looking for safe snack ideas for my nut allergic son. This looks yummy!

by Nancy on Mar 25, 2011 at 1:21 pm

23. This is awesome! It’s impossible to find a granola bar for my son who is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, soy and dairy! I can see this being a staple in our household! You made my day!

by Stacey on Mar 25, 2011 at 1:59 pm

24. Easy indeed! I’ve got to whip these up with my boys for a snack.

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Mar 25, 2011 at 2:00 pm

25. Yum! How cute are these mini granola bars? :)

by Amanda @ Kevin & Amanda on Mar 25, 2011 at 2:23 pm

26. mmm wicked pretty! and I bet wicked tasty!

by stephchows on Mar 25, 2011 at 2:26 pm

27. Could you substitute ground flax seed for the wheat germ? We have a gluten allergy in our home.

by Amory on Mar 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm

28. Grace – I have not tried quick oats, so I’m not sure about those…but if you do and they hold up well, let me know! As far as using a different butter though, go for it! :-)

Amory – You can definitely sub in flax. Enjoy!

by Tracy on Mar 25, 2011 at 3:38 pm

29. I tried the granola bar recipe! And is excellent for my mom who has to eat only organic food and natural. My mom is fighting thyroid cancer.

by Elena T on Mar 25, 2011 at 5:26 pm

30. Yum!! Thanks for posting all your peanut/nut – free recipes.. My son is allergic, and I’m always excited to see them!

by Jenna Pitt on Mar 25, 2011 at 5:31 pm

31. I have never made homemade granola bars but I know my kids would love them. I should get on the stick and give them a try!

by Kristen on Mar 25, 2011 at 6:48 pm

32. I’m sad that you’re so allergic to nuts… must be very tough. You have to become a good label reader, I guess. Love the idea of homemade granola bars- my little guy eats so many of those packaged sort that I just pick up on the fly. These look much healthier!

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Mar 26, 2011 at 10:25 am

33. I am so inspired by your baking creations! I LOVE that you don’t let your food allergies hold you back in the kitchen.

I made these granola bars just this morning and they are fabulous! They are easy to make and a joy to eat! I’m gluten-free and was still able to make the bars by subbing out a gluten-free oatmeal. Delish!

Can’t wait to see what other nut/peanut-free creations you come up with!

by The Food Allergy Mom on Mar 26, 2011 at 4:05 pm

34. I bet those are terribly addictive! Yummy.

Cheers,

Rosa

by Rosa on Mar 26, 2011 at 8:30 pm

35. I have to reiterate what some of the others have already said, but thank you for posting! My son is also allergic to peanuts and tree nuts, so I’m always on the look out for nutritious snacks for him to have! I think my non-allergic girls would love them too!

by Mo'Betta on Mar 27, 2011 at 6:39 pm

36. These look absolutely delicious and such a great alternative for those with peanut allergies.

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Mar 27, 2011 at 7:55 pm

37. I’m in the same boat as you — yea for a nut-free granola bar :) Thank you!!

by SnoWhite on Mar 27, 2011 at 8:26 pm

38. Yay, after our little chat about SunButter on twitter I totally forgot. Then I saw this in my email and went out and bought some!! I can’t wait to try baking with it!! These look so yummy!!!

by Courtney on Mar 27, 2011 at 9:11 pm

39. What pretty pictures, Tracy. I have been wanting to make my own granola bars for awhile – you are inspiring me to get cracking.

by Cookin' Canuck on Mar 27, 2011 at 11:42 pm

40. ooooh. Those look lovely. I’m gluten-free, and trying to find a healthy snack in the grocery store is an exercise in frustration! I’ve been seeing a lot of recipes for granola bars floating around the ‘net, but these sound wonderful!

by Catherine N. on Mar 28, 2011 at 9:04 am

41. As soon as I saw these gorgeous bars you made, I knew I had to add them to my must make list! These look sooooo good and I love how they’re no bake and made with SunButter. Thank you so much for the recipe, I can’t wait to try them out.

by Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels on Mar 28, 2011 at 11:00 am

42. These look incredible… I’ve been making more and more granola bars lately, so I’ll definitely have to add these to the list. :)

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Mar 28, 2011 at 4:31 pm

43. Great recipe but I am wondering what else you put into the bowl. I recognize the oats but there is another, darker flake in the bowl. What is it?

by Sandi on Mar 29, 2011 at 7:09 am

44. Sandi – Everything in the granola bars is listed in the ingredients – oats, salt, wheat germ, SunButter, honey, and chocolate chips. Enjoy!

by Tracy on Mar 29, 2011 at 9:05 am

45. Homemade granola bars are the best and soo easy. Love the wrapping!

by Megan on Mar 29, 2011 at 9:52 am

46. I’m so excited to try these! I developed an allergy to peanuts in college and it’s been aweful. I miss peanuts and especially peanut butter – so excited to try making my own granola bars that I can actually eat without getting sick!
    Do you have any recommendations for other items you could mix in, other than choc. chips?
    And finally, What’s sunbutter? I’ve never heard of it before

by Danielle on Mar 31, 2011 at 11:54 am

47. Danielle – SunButter is a seed butter that’s made from roasted sunflower seeds. And, you can mix in anything you want! Other kinds of nuts if you can have them, like almonds, flax seeds, dried fruit, coconut, etc. Enjoy!

by Tracy on Mar 31, 2011 at 11:57 am

48. Oh My!! I know what I am making this weekend. The are perfect lunch snacks for the monkeys :)

by Tickled Red on Apr 2, 2011 at 2:08 pm

49. I have already made three batches and love it!
    I eat them every morning for breakfast and then as a snack in the afternoon and I feel so healthy doing it.
    Thank you for this simple and delicious recipe

by CAT on Apr 10, 2011 at 6:13 pm

50. I LOVE these “bars.” I put that in quotes because I ended crumbling up the bars, like regular granola. This is the perfect granola to me soft and “clumpy.” My favorite way to eat the granola is with milk poured over it as cereal. SO DELICIOUS!! Thanks for the great recipe!!

by melissa on Apr 14, 2011 at 4:40 pm

51. Did anyone else have trouble with their bars crumbling? They tasted delicious, but were a mess. How can they stick better?

by Cristina on Jun 11, 2011 at 10:04 am

52. Cristina – Try adding more honey or brown rice syrup! Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Jun 14, 2011 at 8:01 pm

53. These were wonderful!!! My husband and I are totally addicted!

by Andrea Brown on Aug 14, 2011 at 4:03 pm

54. I think I want to make these for my boss for Christmas. She’s allergic to peanuts and chocolate. But she can eat almonds. I found small cinnamon chips so I think I’ll change the chocolate chips and almond butter. Thank you for the idea. Love your site!

by Julia on Oct 14, 2011 at 5:56 pm

55. My son is severely allergic to peanuts and tree nuts and I am always looking for new recipes to try. I discovered this granola bar recipe, using Sunbutter (which we love!) and decided to give it a try. The whole pan was gone in 2 days! Everyone loved them and now I will be making them at least once a week. I look forward to finding some more “safe” recipes through your website. Thank you!

by Patti on Feb 7, 2012 at 3:20 pm