SunButter and Bacon Dog Biscuits

SunButter and Bacon Dog Biscuits - 8

Right around the time that hubby and I decided to get a puppy, I came across this recipe from Nancy of The Sensitive Pantry…and as a side note, can I just say that Nancy’s blog is such a wonderful resource for gluten-free cooking and baking? I am always sending people her recipes and bookmarking them to make for my gluten-free friends. Anyway, when I saw her recipe for dog biscuits, I just knew I had to make them to welcome home our new furry friend. I changed up the recipe a bit since I’m allergic to peanut butter and so I generally don’t cook or bake with it, but also because I don’t have my pantry stocked with gluten-free flours at the moment (these treats are definitely “gluten-full”). Riley enjoyed them all the same though, and judging by how excited he gets whenever I take them out, I think it’s safe to say that these are his favorite treats!

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours.

SunButter and Bacon Dog Biscuits - 1

In a smaller bowl, combine the SunButter, egg, water, and honey. Stir in the bacon and carrot.

SunButter and Bacon Dog Biscuits - 2

Mix together the dry and wet ingredients until a rough dough is formed.

SunButter and Bacon Dog Biscuits - 3

Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface about 1/4″ thick. Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter.

SunButter and Bacon Dog Biscuits - 4

SunButter and Bacon Dog Biscuits - 5

Place the cookies on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake 30-35 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for about a week.

SunButter and Bacon Dog Biscuits - 6

Finally, I want to add a similar note to the one in Nancy’s post: While it is fun to experiment with ingredients in recipes, it’s important to understand what ingredients can be poisonous to our pets. Please make sure to consult the appropriate sources before changing the ingredients!

SunButter and Bacon Dog Biscuits - 7

Posted by on March 14, 2011.

Tags: , ,

Categories: pets

1. Your baby is so cute!! I love the idea of putting bacon in a homemade dog biscuit, although my husband would probably be jealous if I gave bacon to the dog, hee hee!!

by JenniferA on Mar 14, 2011 at 11:50 am

2. Adorable! When we get a dog, I will for sure be making these!!

by Jenny Flake on Mar 14, 2011 at 11:50 am

3. That little puppy face is so freaking adorable, and so is the dog bone shaped cookie cutter! Great recipe. Wonder if my cats would enjoy it as much as Riley seems to. :)

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Mar 14, 2011 at 11:55 am

4. Great job and ADORABLE puppy!!!!

by Amanda on Mar 14, 2011 at 11:56 am

5. How cute! If I had a pup, I’d make homemade biscuits :)

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Mar 14, 2011 at 11:57 am

6. I always make home-made treats for my dogs and they love them! Thanks for a new recipe to try, it sounds great!

by Jessica on Mar 14, 2011 at 12:07 pm

7. What a cutie! Makes me want another dog…but, shhh, don’t tell my husband because #3 will be here in a heartbeat.

Love that you made the treats with sunbutter. And, that Riley loves them.

by Nancy @SensitivePantry on Mar 14, 2011 at 12:12 pm

8. Adorable pup! What a special treat for any canine.

by naomi on Mar 14, 2011 at 12:13 pm

9. What a sweet puppy. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe. My little Yorkie will love them.

by carolinaheartstrings on Mar 14, 2011 at 12:50 pm

10. Ah so cute!! Gettin’ big. :)

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Mar 14, 2011 at 2:05 pm

11. oh how awesome!!! If we ever end up getting a dog I’ll have to make some up for him/her :) He’s so freaking cute!!

by stephchows on Mar 14, 2011 at 2:29 pm

12. Hey, I love this idea! My dog would for sure love these homemade cookies…I can’t wait to make them. Your puppy is a cutie!

by Sara on Mar 14, 2011 at 3:04 pm

13. Aww, so darling! I’ll have to give these a try for my little Oakley!

by Wenderly on Mar 14, 2011 at 3:34 pm

14. Your puppy is SO cute!

by Maria on Mar 14, 2011 at 4:13 pm

15. Oh my gosh, what an adorable puppy Tracy! Congratulations on your new family member. He’s so lucky to have an owner like you to bake him these delicious dog treats! They look delicious enough for humans, too, that’s for sure! :)

by Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on Mar 14, 2011 at 7:04 pm

16. Oh my gosh, how adorable is he? And so lucky too to have a mommy who bakes him special treats :-)

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Mar 14, 2011 at 7:57 pm

17. Absolutely precious!!!

by Robyn | Add a Pinch on Mar 14, 2011 at 8:53 pm

18. oooooooh puppies! Adorable photos and fantastic biscuits! I love it when people bake for their pets!

by Michelle (What's Cooking with Kids) on Mar 14, 2011 at 10:42 pm

19. Aww cuteness! I’ve been meaning to bake some treats for my puppy and I’ve heard that nut butters are SO good for dogs! These look great!

by Joanne on Mar 15, 2011 at 8:40 am

20. Great idea! Love these!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Mar 15, 2011 at 9:06 am

21. What an adorable dog!! You are taking such good care of him already…I am not telling my dog about these treats, she will get jealous and want them ALL THE TIME!!

by Cookbook Queen on Mar 15, 2011 at 9:58 am

22. Oh my heavens! Riley is so adorable!! I have a 6 year old English Golden (he’s got whiter fur than the traditional goldens) and seeing the picture of Riley makes me want another puppy. So cute! Love this recipe too and I can’t wait to try it for my golden Parker.

by Heather @ Multiply Delicious on Mar 15, 2011 at 12:34 pm

23. Awww these are so cute! I LOVE your puppy.

by Katrina on Mar 15, 2011 at 7:57 pm

24. These would even make it to the dog at my house….got 2 men (boys) that would gobble them up first!

by Mickie Gross on Mar 15, 2011 at 8:31 pm

25. He is so cute! He must have loved his treats. They look great:)

by Raina on Mar 15, 2011 at 8:37 pm

26. Oooh my goodness!!! Riley is so adorable!

I’m sure he just *loved* these treats. I know Yellowdog will love them, too. I will definitely bookmark this one to try.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Mar 16, 2011 at 11:24 am

27. Ooo! I love seeing people using a product that is made in my hometown. I’ve been addicted to SunButter ever since I had it years ago. I’m going to have to add this recipe to my rotation of dog treats I make. I haven’t bought any from a store for months after discovering how easy it is to do myself.

by Katie M on Mar 16, 2011 at 3:10 pm

28. What a great recipe, I’m adding it to my facebook page right now!

by Doggy Dessert Chef on Mar 17, 2011 at 3:28 pm

29. Just prepping the ingredients now! Husband is throwing the bacon on the grill as we speak…I used PB since that’s what I had in the house, and the dog loves it! Can’t wait to see his face when we gets one of these in his mouth!

by Zoe on Mar 20, 2011 at 6:41 pm

30. Your puppy is so sweet and I’ll bet he couldn’t be happier with the treat you made.

by Cookin' Canuck on Mar 22, 2011 at 11:28 pm

31. Tracy, Somehow I missed the news about your little furball, but what a total cutie! I have a Golden (he just turned 4) and he looked JUST LIKE yours when he was a puppy! They are the best dogs :)

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Apr 17, 2011 at 4:26 pm

32. I have made these before and my dog loves them

by Liana on Aug 28, 2012 at 6:02 pm

33. I want to try this recipe for my Sadie, but I’m not sure if “SunButter” is just butter or something special? Please let me know.. Thanks Kathy

by Kathy on Sep 3, 2014 at 6:41 pm

34. Kathy – SunButter is a spread made from sunflower seeds, similar in texture and taste to peanut butter. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Sep 11, 2014 at 3:00 pm