Mexican Chicken and Rice Bake

Mexican Chicken Bake - 5

Sometimes hubby and I get stuck in a food rut, and for a couple weeks we end up eating the same few things for dinner over and over again. It usually happens because I’m too busy to sit down and plan out a menu for the next few weeks, but it also happens if I’m just not in the mood for anything in particular and so nothing sounds good. Fortunately I happened upon this recipe from Jessica of How Sweet It Is, and it was just what I needed to break me out of the rut. You see, hubby and I used to make cheese and rice bakes with chicken or ground beef a lot when we were newly married…but since I’ve learned to cook so many new and different dishes since then, it’s been quite a while since I’ve even thought about it. I decided to try out Jessica’s recipe, adapting it to suit our tastes, and what we ended up with was a great new version of an old favorite – we devoured half the pan! It’s a quick and easy pantry dinner, and it heats up well, too…so it’s a great meal to make if you want to have leftovers for lunch the next day!

Recipe adapted from Jessica’s post here.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare the rice according to package directions. While you are waiting for the rice to cook, mix together the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl.

Mexican Chicken Bake - 1

As soon as the rice is ready, add it in and stir until the cheese melts.

Mexican Chicken Bake - 2

Transfer to a greased 9×13″ baking dish and top with extra cheddar cheese, if desired.

Mexican Chicken Bake - 3

Bake about 20 minutes or until heated through.

Mexican Chicken Bake - 4

Serve warm and garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Mexican Chicken Bake - 6

Posted by on March 10, 2011.

Tags: , , ,

Categories: dinner

1. Yumm-o! This looks like a perfect dinner for Monday nights.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Mar 10, 2011 at 11:11 am

2. We get in dinner ruts too. Big time. So glad you liked this. I haven’t made it in a while. Maybe this week!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Mar 10, 2011 at 11:23 am

3. This looks like perfect comfort food!! I love cheesey rice dishes.

by Cookbook Queen on Mar 10, 2011 at 11:34 am

4. That looks delicious! I may have to make this for dinner soon! YUMMY. I’m thinking I may make a few additions to give a little heat! If I do, I’ll post and link it to ya Cant wait. Thank you!

by Erin A on Mar 10, 2011 at 11:47 am

5. That looks wonderful. I made something very similar a few weeks ago and it was a nice change from the ususal stuff I fix.

by carolinaheartstrings on Mar 10, 2011 at 12:19 pm

6. Yay another recipe for my ‘must make’ list!!!

by Sandy on Mar 10, 2011 at 1:34 pm

7. Unfortunately, it’s too easy to get stuck in a food rut, especially when you’re busy because those are the recipes you know. This one looks great and is definitely different than anything we’ve made here lately!

by Tessa on Mar 10, 2011 at 2:18 pm

8. Yum! This looks tasty :)

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Mar 10, 2011 at 2:23 pm

9. That is just the cutest little bowl of yumminess. Just makes me smile.

by Wenderly on Mar 10, 2011 at 2:49 pm

10. Gorgeous! Kev would love this. Will have to add to our dinner menu! :)

by Amanda @ Kevin & Amanda on Mar 10, 2011 at 3:51 pm

11. This is going on next week’s menu, it look great.

by Kelly on Mar 10, 2011 at 4:22 pm

12. This looks yummy. I LOVE black beans. I also love when i bring back an old stanby and remember how great it was.

by Therese on Mar 10, 2011 at 6:54 pm

13. This looks so yummy! I don’t blame you guys for taking down half the pan! I think I would do that all on my own!

by Peggy on Mar 10, 2011 at 7:58 pm

14. Oh that is super easy to make! I love a good casserole, I bet you could even assemble this ahead of time and just pop it in the oven at the last minute.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Mar 10, 2011 at 7:58 pm

15. That’s such a colorful dish and with all those kinds of cheeses in it, it must be so flavorful.

by Lisa on Mar 10, 2011 at 10:50 pm

16. Ah, the food rut. We are old friends. But if I can be organized enough and plan our menus, we avoid meting up again. This recipe sounds delicious and simple enough for dinner after a busy day. xo

by Michelle (What's Cooking with Kids) on Mar 10, 2011 at 11:40 pm

17. Ooo love anything Mexican inspired. I really want to try this!

by Christina @ This Woman Cooks! on Mar 10, 2011 at 11:49 pm

18. I haven’t made anything like this before, but think my family would devour it – thanks!!

by Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles on Mar 11, 2011 at 12:34 am

19. I love a good rice bake. Black beans are so tasty!

by Katrina on Mar 11, 2011 at 7:58 am

20. Perfect timing! I have leftover rice and chicken and needed a good idea. Guess what will be for dinner?

by Brenda on Mar 11, 2011 at 10:48 am

21. Great meal idea!

by Maria on Mar 11, 2011 at 11:17 am

22. The perfect dinner in my opinion!!

by Jenny Flake on Mar 11, 2011 at 11:35 am

23. looks fantastic!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Mar 11, 2011 at 3:49 pm

24. Sounds like my kind of casserole!

by Shaina on Mar 12, 2011 at 2:20 pm

25. I definitely spend most of college existing on casseroles like this but haven’t made one in forever! This looks way better than anything I used to make, that’s for sure!

by Joanne on Mar 12, 2011 at 3:49 pm

26. I knew I’d love this before I even opened the post. Wow – totally bookmarking this for dinner soon!

by Kristen on Mar 12, 2011 at 5:12 pm

27. That looks sooooo good. I love the addition of gouda cheese, it’s one of my favorites. :)

by Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels on Mar 12, 2011 at 11:43 pm

28. I love these kind of meals! I usually make my own mini casserole with leftover stuff from taco night..so I could definitely go for this..love that you used gouda!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Mar 16, 2011 at 8:36 am

29. my mouth is watering! can’t wait to try this (minus the cilantro, since i’m one of those people who can’t stand the taste of it).

by Ella @ The Single Girl's Kitchen on May 5, 2011 at 10:16 am

30. Just found this on The Pioneer Woman and cannot wait to try this! It may possibly be on the weekend menu!!

by Teri on May 6, 2011 at 8:00 am

31. I saw this on pioneer woman and linked to your site- it sounded so good I made it yesterday ;) MY husband and I loved it! We are having our first baby in 2 weeks or so and I’m wondering if you have a suggestion or how to if I want to make another batch to freeze for later? :)
    (prep up until baking and then freeze? thaw before baking? etc)

by Cat on May 10, 2011 at 11:55 am

32. Fabulous! I made this tonight and it was delicious and easy! I didn’t have cilantro so for color and flavor I used lots of green onions, and I already had a nice chipotle Gouda so I used that. I picked up a rotisserie chicken at the supermarket and the dish came together 123! It was soooo good! It’ll definitely go into rotation in my house!

by Jessica on May 18, 2011 at 7:58 pm

33. I made this a couple months and loved it! I doubled the cheese and sour cream to make sure it was moist enough. I would add a *little* bit of spice – maybe some rotel instead of just a tomato? And the corn was the PERFECT little bit of sweetness! This is definitely going in the rotation!

by Bethany on Sep 9, 2011 at 9:47 am

34. I’ll be honest, I was short on time this night so I substituted some quick cook ingredients such as microwave Spanish rice. It was still fantastic!

The really magic addition made at the suggestion of my boyfriend: marinating ingredients in mojo sauce. You can find it in the hispanic foods aisle and it really added something special to this wonderful dish.

by Laine on Jul 9, 2013 at 11:20 pm