Paczki

Paczki - 7

The summer before I went off to college, I was terrified at the thought of cooking for myself, so I spent some time gathering recipes from my mom, grandmas, aunts, etc. – even my friend’s moms. I didn’t realize at the time that I wouldn’t have a kitchen until after my first year, and with all the food readily available on campus, there was no real need to learn to cook until after I graduated. Still, I’m glad I spent that time gathering all of those recipes, because many of them are childhood favorites of mine or absolute gems like this recipe I copied down from one of my babcia’s Polish cookbooks. I wanted to try this recipe for paczki (pronounced PAWNCH-KEY, in case you were wondering) last year for Fat Thursday, but unfortunately time got away from me and I never got around to it. This year I was ready though, and I made these delightful Polish treats last week on the last Thursday before Lent. Despite the time required for the dough to rise three times, they were surprisingly easy to make and well worth the effort, so I wanted to make sure to share them today for Fat Tuesday. I hope you enjoy them!

Recipe adapted from one of my babcia’s Polish cookbooks – unfortunately, I don’t have the title/author of the book.

In a medium pot, scald the milk. Allow to cool to lukewarm before sprinkling the yeast over the top to dissolve. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.

Paczki - 1

Beat in the egg yolks and whole egg, salt, vanilla extract, and nutmeg.

Paczki - 2

Add in the flour and milk mixtures alternately until well-combined.

Paczki - 3

Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 2 1/2 hours.

Paczki - 4

Punch down the dough and then knead it until smooth. Let rise once again until doubled. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut into 2″ circles. Cover and let rise a third time until doubled.

Paczki - 5

Fry in hot oil (about 350 degrees F), turning once. The paczki should puff up, and they should be very dark. Set down on a paper towel, and then fill with jam using a pastry bag.

Paczki - 6

Roll in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar and serve immediately.

Paczki - 7

Posted by on March 8, 2011.

Tags:

Categories: breads & pastries

1. I can already tell I would love these!! Sugar, fried dough…what more does a girl need?

by Cookbook Queen on Mar 8, 2011 at 11:36 am

2. Yum! those look so delicious! I love the jam filling. Perfect little donuts!

by Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow on Mar 8, 2011 at 11:40 am

3. Oh my, does this look delicious!!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Mar 8, 2011 at 11:49 am

4. There’s a grocery store in my area that sells these at this time of year and tries to tell us it is pronounced poonch-key. I like yours better! And I’m sure yours taste better too. 🙂

by JenniferA on Mar 8, 2011 at 12:01 pm

5. Um, YEAH. These look freaking delicious, more light and airy than a donut hole. I think you’re right with the dough rising time being worth it.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Mar 8, 2011 at 12:07 pm

6. Those look wonderful. Great pictures and great recipe.

by carolinaheartstrings on Mar 8, 2011 at 12:08 pm

7. We Germans make the almost same treat. Take a look:

They are to die for and yours look very tasty!

by My Kitchen in the Rockies on Mar 8, 2011 at 12:14 pm

8. This looks lovely! I’ve never heard of this before, but am really curious to try this Polish dish. Thanks!

by Katrina on Mar 8, 2011 at 12:38 pm

9. They look great and sound tasty. This is the first I have heard of them. They kind of remind me of beignets and jelly donuts-did or is that a bad thing to say?

by naomi on Mar 8, 2011 at 1:03 pm

10. I have been looking all over for a decent packzi recipe since they don’t seem to be available where I live now. I have many fond memories of tracking down the last doughnut shop on Fat Tuesday because as a nurse, my mom worked shift work and we weren’t always able to get them first thin the morning. Great call on the jam! I’ll be using strawberry rhubarb in mine.

by Joy on Mar 8, 2011 at 1:03 pm

11. This look so wonderful! We plan on making Paczki when we visit Poland from our tiny kitchen as a part of our world cuisine tour! Thank you for fabulous recipe and the helpful pictures!

by 26 Countries and 1 Kitchen on Mar 8, 2011 at 1:17 pm

12. oh wow! great job with this one they look delicious!! fat thursday?? I only know about fat tuesday (aka today) 😀

by stephchows on Mar 8, 2011 at 2:42 pm

13. Looks delicious! 🙂 I want to try these!

by Liz @ Blog is the New Black on Mar 8, 2011 at 3:27 pm

14. I’ve been wanting to try my hand at making paczki, and now I’m DYING to! These look amazing.

by Fuji Mama on Mar 8, 2011 at 4:25 pm

15. Nice! Greetings from Poland 🙂

by NaStole.pl on Mar 8, 2011 at 4:43 pm

16. Yum! These paczki look fabulous… It’s not a recipe that I’m real familiar with, but I’d love to give it a try!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Mar 8, 2011 at 5:33 pm

17. Wow, you’re awesome, have I told you that before? These look amazing!

by Christina on Mar 8, 2011 at 5:46 pm

18. These look fabulous, I’ve never heard of them before, but the look and ingredients reminds me of beignets. I’m always up for trying new things, I’ll be adding this to my list of things to try.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Mar 8, 2011 at 7:30 pm

19. We’ve got a few fantastic Polish bakeries here in Montreal that make three types of pacxki – cream, apricot and prune. We adore them all.

My kids would freak if I MADE them. And so i think I’m going to have to now. Hmm, Easter brunch? I don’t think I can wait that long.

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Mar 8, 2011 at 8:52 pm

20. A perfect Fat Tuesday treat!

by Kristen on Mar 8, 2011 at 9:46 pm

21. Yum! I didn’t know you were Polish! I’m Czech and our word for grandma is kinda similar–babicka. Cool 🙂

by DessertForTwo on Mar 8, 2011 at 11:35 pm

22. You had me “fill with jam with pastry bag” OMG these look awesome!

by marla {family fresh cooking} on Mar 9, 2011 at 12:18 am

23. I’ve never had these. I can’t wait to try them now!

by Maria on Mar 9, 2011 at 1:04 pm

24. I have to make these for my Polish father-in-law. I know he would absolutely adore them.

by Cookin' Canuck on Mar 9, 2011 at 1:10 pm

25. Such a great and timely post, Tracy! I love paczki!

by Shaina on Mar 9, 2011 at 2:49 pm

26. DELISH! Wow, I could gobble these up in a flash!

by Jenny Flake on Mar 9, 2011 at 5:29 pm

27. Wow! I have never seen these before. They look like heavenly little jelly donuts. Perfect for Fat Tuesday:)

by Raina on Mar 9, 2011 at 7:16 pm

28. I always see these in bakeries this time of year – they look delicious!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Mar 9, 2011 at 8:35 pm

29. For some reason Catholics don’t celebrate any of these pre-Lent food holidays and it makes me so upset! I really need to institute a paczki tradition in my life because they look so good!

by Joanne on Mar 10, 2011 at 7:54 am

30. LOVE! Wishing I had one of these right now! 🙂

by Amanda @ Kevin & Amanda on Mar 10, 2011 at 3:50 pm

31. These look wonderful! I tried to make paczki a few months ago, but my frying skills failed me. You’ve inspired me to try again!

by Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having on Mar 11, 2011 at 10:02 pm

32. These look amazing! I am such a sucker for paczkis!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Mar 12, 2011 at 5:07 pm

33. These look totally delicious! I love old family recipes!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Mar 21, 2011 at 12:23 am