Gnocchi Mac and Cheese

Gnocchi Mac and Cheese - 2

It’s been quite a while since I posted my recipe for sweet potato gnocchi with brown butter sauce, so I decided that it was high time to post my go-to gnocchi recipe that this sweet, autumn version is based on. This is what I make when I want comfort food and have a little extra time on my hands, since the recipe makes a ton of gnocchi. It’s worth the effort though since they freeze wonderfully, and it’s nice to have on hand both for company and for when I want a quick freezer meal during the week but still want something homemade. This time though, rather than frying up the finished gnocchi with butter like I usually do, I decided to make gnocchi mac and cheese. It’s easy to whip up a simple roux using pantry staples to give this classic dish a new twist. Give it a try this weekend!

For the gnocchi:

For the gnocchi mac and cheese (serves 1-2):

To make the gnocchi, preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Pierce the potatoes all over with a fork, and then bake, covered, in an 9×13″ baking dish about an hour.

Gnocchi - 1

Cool the potatoes before peeling. Once peeled, put the potatoes through a potato ricer.

Gnocchi - 2

In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, and salt. Then, put a large pot of salted water on the stove and bring it to a rolling boil. Make a well in the center of the potatoes and pour in the egg mixture. Knead into the potatoes. Add in the cheese and 2 cups flour, adding additional flour as necessary.

Gnocchi - 3

Turn out on to a floured surface and knead lightly just until smooth.

Gnocchi - 4

Divide the dough into 12 pieces.

Gnocchi - 5

Roll each piece to about 1/2″ thick, and then cut each piece into 1/2 to 1″ pieces.

Gnocchi - 6

Use the back of a fork to press against each piece to form ridges on the gnocchi.

Gnocchi - 7

Move to baking sheets covered with parchment paper to get ready for boiling.

Gnocchi - 8

Add the gnocchi a few at a time to the pot of boiling water, stirring occasionally. Cook for about 3 minutes until they float. Using a slotted spoon, move them to a paper towel to dry, and then move them back to the baking sheets. At this point, you can freeze the gnocchi (first in one layer on the baking sheet; then you can transfer them to a resealable bag). Do not thaw before cooking.

Gnocchi - 9

To make the roux for the gnocchi mac and cheese, melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat and preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant. Then, stir in the flour until the mixture begins to thicken. Add in the milk. Continue to cook about 3 minutes longer or until thickened. Remove from heat and add in the cheeses. Mix the gnocchi in with the cheese sauce, and then sprinkle additional cheese on top. Transfer the mixture to a small baking dish and bake about 20 minutes or until the cheese begins to brown.

Gnocchi Mac and Cheese - 1

Posted by on March 4, 2011.

Tags: , ,

Categories: dinner, lunch

1. Wow that looks insanely rich, filling and delicious!

by Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow on Mar 4, 2011 at 12:21 pm

2. I have never made gnocchi, but I love it and this mac and cheese looks amazing!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Mar 4, 2011 at 12:33 pm

3. Oh my gosh…. I think I just died and went to heaven.

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Mar 4, 2011 at 12:54 pm

4. I think I’ve died and gone to *carb heaven*

by Wenderly on Mar 4, 2011 at 1:04 pm

5. Guess I’ll add potato ricer to my Amazon wish list. With my husband’s love of potatoes this just has to be made! And thanks I was wondering what a roux was! Another recipe referred to it and I’d never heard it before!

by Sandy on Mar 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm

6. Oh my, that looks wonderful! I haven’t made gnocchi before, but it’s on my “to do” list.

by Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles on Mar 4, 2011 at 1:18 pm

7. Wow. I’m making these. Yum, anyone??

by Kristy Lynn on Mar 4, 2011 at 1:45 pm

8. I have always wanted to make gnocchi! These look wonderful, Tracy, and I love that you used them in mac ‘n cheese! Do you think that finely ground potato consistency can be achieved with anything besides a potato ricer, though? It’s not on my list of kitchen gadgets to buy, so I’m wondering if my food processor could do the job. Thanks!

by Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on Mar 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm

9. i almost bought some packaged gnocchi at the store today, but they were made with potato flakes, so i put them back. now i know what i’m going to do with the bag of potatoes i have in the pantry! thanks for sharing!

by jenn on Mar 4, 2011 at 3:56 pm

10. How adorable and delicious do these look! I’ve never tackled these before, YUM!

by Jenny Flake on Mar 4, 2011 at 4:25 pm

11. My husband doesn’t like gnocchi….yes, he’s insane….so I think I’ll make this and eat it ALL.BY.MYSELF.

by bridget {bake at 350} on Mar 4, 2011 at 4:33 pm

12. oh my….I had always been intimidated by the thought of making homemade gnocchi but you have made it out to be so much less complicated than I thought. Thank you!

by AKM on Mar 4, 2011 at 4:35 pm

13. I’m just going to say it. This is GENIUS! I love gnocchi and I love mac-n-cheese. This is like a marriage made in heaven. I haven’t made my own gnocchi yet, but it is on my “to-do” list. Thanks for sharing!

by Merut on Mar 4, 2011 at 5:08 pm

14. Oh my. Gnocchi is one of my favorite things ever! Never thought about turning it into a mac and cheese. What a great idea!

by Christina on Mar 4, 2011 at 5:53 pm

15. I want this right now! YUM!

by Maria on Mar 4, 2011 at 6:52 pm

16. I love making gnocchi – so fun!! And making mac ‘n cheese with it?! Double yum!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Mar 4, 2011 at 7:03 pm

17. That looks insanely good! Just perfect for when you need a little comfort right ;-)

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Mar 4, 2011 at 7:41 pm

18. Be still my heart! This looks fabulous! :)

by Amanda @ Kevin & Amanda on Mar 4, 2011 at 7:43 pm

19. I had never even thought of making macaroni and cheese with gnocchi. It looks so good!!! I think I’m going to have to ask for a potato ricer for my birthday so I can make this.

by Mama Kelly aka Jia on Mar 4, 2011 at 9:56 pm

20. Wow, this looks wonderful. Comforting (the mac and cheese aspect) yet still unique and elegant (the gnocchi)…and I bet utterly delicious.

by Joyti on Mar 4, 2011 at 11:53 pm

21. This looks so tasty! I absolutely love gnocchi!

by Katrina on Mar 5, 2011 at 8:17 am

22. I am a huge gnocchi fan! Got a potato ricer last year for xmas and haven’t used it yet. I will now!! Thanks :)

by Gina Chorma on Mar 5, 2011 at 6:51 pm

23. This look amazingly delicious!

by Michelle on Mar 5, 2011 at 8:32 pm

24. OH my goodness, gnocchi mac and cheese?!?! I’m in love. This seriously looks so incredible from the homemade gnocchi to the gnocchi mac and cheese. :)

by Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels on Mar 5, 2011 at 9:45 pm

25. Gnocchi mac and cheese…now this is comfort food to the max! I love that you made the gnocchi from scratch. I’ve only done it once before but I really ought to give it another go!

by Joanne on Mar 6, 2011 at 1:51 pm

26. This is such a great idea! This makes the regular mac ‘n cheese pale in comparison.

by Cookin' Canuck on Mar 6, 2011 at 1:55 pm

27. Making this right now. Can’t wait to try it out!

by Brooke (Baking with Basil) on Mar 6, 2011 at 2:39 pm

28. Mmmmk, New Year’s resolution to stop eating cheese is officially over. Thanks for saving me from a cheese-less year :)

by DessertForTwo on Mar 7, 2011 at 12:14 am

29. Gnocchi is by far one of my favorite pastas. They must taste amazing prepared in that wonderful cheesy sauce. Great idea!

by Raina on Mar 7, 2011 at 9:37 am

30. This is so great!
    You are a rock star for making me even THINK about making gnocchi :)

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:15 am

31. simply yummy and full of cheese :X

by Ari Recipes on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:45 am

32. I’m impressed- your own gnocchi?? You make it look so easy. Turning it into Gnocchi & Cheese is a fab idea too.

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Mar 7, 2011 at 11:13 am

33. i’m dying over here! :) this looks incredible.

by nicole @ our three reasons on Mar 7, 2011 at 12:05 pm

34. made these this morning and the step by step instructions created a culinary success! thanks for posting this. it was a bit messy, but WELL worth the 2 hrs, start to finish.

my MIL is 1/2 italian and is coming to visit in may. these will be tucked in the freezer to serve when she comes!

by jenn on Mar 7, 2011 at 12:23 pm

35. Gnocchi is on my to list of things to make. I must purchase a potato ricer soon.

by Rachel Marion on Mar 7, 2011 at 1:18 pm

36. That looks rich, creamy and wonderful. What is not to like about that!!!!

by carolinaheartstrings on Mar 7, 2011 at 1:39 pm

37. I bet they don’t have this in a box! WOW I’ve never made Gnocchi but you just gave me a reason, delish! :)

by Courtney on Mar 7, 2011 at 5:11 pm

38. Oh my word! My week is over the top but I am so making this recipe as soon as I get back from my trip I don’t care if it’s midninght. YUM!!

by Tickled Red on Mar 7, 2011 at 5:23 pm

39. I love gnocci, but always make it with a red sauce. Mac and cheese gnocci is such a great idea!

by Sarah on Mar 7, 2011 at 9:43 pm

40. Oh man that looks so good, you are amazing!

by Becca@Baking Monster on Mar 7, 2011 at 11:56 pm

41. Comfort food at its finest. This looks fantastic!

by Kristen on Mar 8, 2011 at 9:18 pm

42. I absolutely adore gnocchi but have never thought to use them in mac and cheese; this looks totally fabulous!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Mar 8, 2011 at 10:47 pm

43. I’m pretty sure this meal would kill me but I know that I would die happy! It looks SO amazing!!!

by stealthnerd on Mar 10, 2011 at 5:55 pm

44. Just wanted to let you know I made this last week and it roooocked! Thanks for the recipe :)

by Beth on Mar 22, 2011 at 4:38 pm

45. I used pre-made gnocchi – probably better homemade – but sooooo yummy

by Nancy on Aug 16, 2012 at 7:31 pm

46. I have tried making this with gnocchi from my local store. I was not happy with the results. I will give this one a go!

by Derick on Sep 13, 2012 at 9:09 am

47. My husband keeps mentioning Gnocchi and now I know how to make it. Thank you! This looks like the perfect meal to complement the snow outside.

by Kaitlyn on Oct 24, 2012 at 2:33 pm

48. I haven’t made gnocchi in years but this looks to good to pass up. Thank you!

by Tina Wick on Dec 28, 2013 at 8:25 am