Buttermilk Belgian Waffles

Belgian Waffles - 4

A couple weeks ago, I mentioned that my sister was coming to stay with us over her winter break from school. We had so much fun together, although I wish we had been able to spend a little more time in the kitchen. My favorite thing we made together is definitely these buttermilk Belgian waffles, which we made for dinner one night just for fun, because who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner? We had been to the mall earlier in the day, and I decided to put all the Williams-Sonoma gift cards I got for Christmas toward their All-Clad Belgian waffle maker. So far, I am loving it! I always order Belgian waffles when hubby and I go out for breakfast or when we’re on vacation, so I figured it would be a good investment. We also made caramelized bananas using a recipe my sister had, so we topped our waffles with the fruit, lots of maple syrup, and some whipped cream, too. I made these waffles again for hubby over the weekend, and he loved them too. If you have a Belgian waffle maker, give these a try…they’re crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside – perfection in my book!

Recipe adapted from All-Clad’s Waffle Maker Recipes booklet.

• 3 eggs, separated
  • 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup sugar

Preheat the waffle maker to medium-high heat, and preheat your oven to 200 degrees (for keeping the cooked waffles warm). In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, buttermilk, butter, and vanilla until well-blended.

Belgian Waffles - 1

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.

Belgian Waffles - 2

Add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture and whisk until smooth. In another medium bowl, whisk the egg white until stiff peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the batter.

Belgian Waffles - 3

Pour about 1/3 cup of the batter into each well of the waffle maker and close the lid. Cook until crisp (it took 5-6 minutes for my waffle maker). Repeat with the remaining batter. Transfer the finished waffles to a baking sheet, and place them in the oven to keep warm until you are ready to serve them. Serve with butter, jam, maple syrup, fruit, whipped cream…whatever your heart desires!

Belgian Waffles - 5

40 Responses to “Buttermilk Belgian Waffles”

1. 1 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 11:28 am

Um yes, who doesn’t love Brinner?! Tracy, the photos are gorgeous, and I am in desperate need of a decent waffle recipe. Don’t laugh, but I adore my mickey mouse waffle maker. I just don’t use it often because the waffles I’ve made have been pretty crappy due to the batter. Can’t wait to try this!

2. 2 Cookbook Queen Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 11:29 am

I LOVE waffles!! Actually,I love all breakfast, but waffles are a particular favorite of mine.

These look PERFECT!!

3. 3 bridget {bake at 350} Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 11:29 am

OMGosh…those are gorgeous! I need one of those waffle makers. The one we got for a wedding present…..15 YEARS AGO makes really thin waffles. i want yours!

4. 4 JenniferA Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 11:30 am

I never wanted a waffle maker before but your pictures make me want one!

5. 5 Jenny Flake Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 11:30 am

What beautiful waffles! LOVE :)

6. 6 Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 11:36 am

I love waffles and those look soooo delicious!

7. 7 Maggie Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 12:06 pm

These look so delicious, and they make me want to go out and buy a waffle maker tonight. I avoid buying a lot of kitchen gadgets because my kitchen is tiny, but I’m not sure how much longer I can rely on Eggos when there are tasty recipes like this floating around!

8. 8 stephchows Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 12:06 pm

mmmmm my dad made some of these when we all met up in PA last weekend, love love love belgian buttermilk waffles!!

9. 9 carolinaheartstrings Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Those look wonderful. I definitely want a Belgium wafflemaker. So much better than regular waffles.

10. 10 Sharon Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Could we pretty please entice your sister to share her recipe for caramelized bananas?

11. 11 Christina Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I really, really want a waffle maker. I almost bought one the other day, but it was cheap and crappy…I want a REAL waffle maker! These look so delicious!!

12. 12 Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Tracy, seeing these waffles has made me très déçu in the soup and salad I will be eating for lunch.

13. 13 naomi Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Um, when is breakfast at your house? YUM!

14. 14 Cherry Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Love Belgium waffles! Although the amount of butter in this recipe kinda stands out a bit too much. Hmm… but my love of waffles is blinding me. Will try sometime!

15. 15 Lori @ RecipeGirl Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I’m such a fan of waffles- more than any other breakfast thing, I like the waffle best. Top these with a few sliced bananas and I’m miserably happy.

16. 16 Amanda @ Kevin & Amanda Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Gorgeous waffles! These look heavenly.

17. 17 Maria Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Your waffles look perfect!

18. 18 Cupcake Activist Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I’ve been making waffles a lot lately, so I’m going to need to make these soon.

19. 19 Courtney Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 3:59 pm

These waffles are absolutely gorgeous! It makes me want to skip dinner tonight and have brinner instead! :)

20. 20 Jessica @ How Sweet Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 6:22 pm

These look delicious! Can you make me some tomorrow morning?

21. 21 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 7:12 pm

They look wonderful! They have that crusty little edge that’s always so tasty.

22. 22 Raina Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 7:57 pm

So nice that you got to spend time with your sister. I just bought a waffle maker too. I am so happy to see your recipe. I have been looking for a good one. Yours look so good. I love breakfast for dinner:)

23. 23 Anna Says:
    March 2nd, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Those look amazing! A waffle maker is on my list of baking tools to get.. unfortunately it may be a while before that happens. When I do get one though, I’m going to have to try your recipe!

24. 24 Courtney Says:
    March 3rd, 2011 at 12:56 am

Oh my.. deliciousness. I could eat this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. :)

25. 25 Katrina Says:
    March 3rd, 2011 at 8:33 am

Buttermilk waffles are seriously the best. These look amazing. I want one!

26. 26 Joanne Says:
    March 3rd, 2011 at 8:38 am

I JUST bought myself a waffle-maker for my birthday so I think this is really a combination of fate and perfect timing. These look delicious!

27. 27 Anne Says:
    March 3rd, 2011 at 8:48 am

Congrats on your waffle maker! Do yourself a favor and make yourself some homemade chicken and waffles ASAP! My husband and I made this for the first time with our waffle maker on Sunday. We about died and went to heaven!

28. 28 Cookin' Canuck Says:
    March 3rd, 2011 at 9:48 am

Great purchase, Tracy. Believe me, you will get tons of use out of your waffle maker. The caramelized banana version sounds fantastic!

29. 29 Kay, The Church Cook Says:
    March 3rd, 2011 at 10:35 am

Looks fabulous as usual, Tracy!!!

30. 30 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    March 3rd, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Oh, I so want a Belgian waffle maker! I have a regular (not sure what else to call it) waffle maker, but I hate it. Now I’m totally craving these waffles!!

31. 31 Kristen Says:
    March 3rd, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I love a thick, Belgian waffle. Those look delicious Tracey!

32. 32 Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles Says:
    March 3rd, 2011 at 6:10 pm

There’s nothing like a Belgian Waffle done right! These look so good.

33. 33 Jamie | My Baking Addiction Says:
    March 3rd, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I never thought I would get as much use out of a waffle maker as I do. It’s definitely a great investment. I need to try this recipe this weekend since I happen to have jug of buttermilk in the fridge.

34. 34 Fuji Mama Says:
    March 4th, 2011 at 11:49 am

Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside—oh wow yum.

35. 35 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    March 8th, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I know it’s pancake day, but I just wanted to come back and tell you, Tracy, that I made these waffles (in Mickey head shape!) for dinner tonight. They. Are. Perfection.

36. 36 Robyn | Add a Pinch Says:
    March 17th, 2011 at 8:22 am

These are absolutely gorgeous! Love buttermilk waffles.

37. 37 Heidi / foodiecrush Says:
    May 22nd, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I made these last week and they were seriously like eating cake for breakfast! I was running a little low on buttermilk so substitued 1/2 cup of nonfat milk, but just added to the crispness I’m sure. Great recipe, a keeper for sure.

38. 38 Judy Says:
    November 23rd, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Thanks for this recipe. I lost mine and this one is a close match. We are having it for dinner tonight and probably for Thanksgiving breakfast tomorrow.

39. 39 Pete Says:
    December 25th, 2011 at 10:37 am

These are incredible! Great recipe, thank you. We just made them for Christmas morning on our new waffle maker, same as yours. You may want to note in the recipe that this makes enough batter for maybe 6-8 people. I set the All-Clad on #5, and they were done and perfect in about 3 minutes.

40. 40 Kelli Says:
    December 26th, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I made these tonight in my new waffle maker and this recipe is a KEEPER! WOW! I got thumbs up from every member of my family (which almost never happens) and I will be making them again and again!