Fruited Coffee Cake

Fruited Coffee Cake - 6

I love family recipes with lots of tradition behind them. This recipe, like the recipe for pierogi I shared almost two years ago now, comes from my hubby’s grandma. She was a very good cook indeed, and my mother-in-law told me that she used to make this delightful coffee cake often, in which she always used grandpa’s canned plums. Since I had already canned some plums just like his earlier in the fall, I figured it was as good a time as any to break open a jar to snack on and to make this coffee cake. The recipe comes straight from one of her most-loved and used cookbooks – the FCSLA Slovak-American Cookbook, which my mother-in-law gave me for Christmas. It’s so much fun to flip through the pages and look at many of grandma’s favorite recipes. And after this one, I can’t wait to try more!

Recipe adapted from the FCSLA Slovak-American Cookbook.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and grease an 8″ round cake pan. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in the egg and beat well.

Fruited Coffee Cake - 1

Beat in the flour and salt until well-blended.

Fruited Coffee Cake - 2

Turn the dough into the greased pan and place the fruit on top. Sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mixture and dot with the butter.

Fruited Coffee Cake - 3

Bake about 35 minutes.

Fruited Coffee Cake - 4

Cut into wedges and serve warm.

Fruited Coffee Cake - 5

Posted by on February 25, 2011.

Categories: breakfast & brunch, desserts & sweets

1. Very cool! I just love these old cookbooks. So many fun and interesting recipes to find in them. This is beautiful!

by JenniferA on Feb 25, 2011 at 10:27 am

2. I love my grandmother’s receipes too and have not made nearly enough of them over the years. This one looks wonderful.

by carolinaheartstrings on Feb 25, 2011 at 10:55 am

3. This looks heavenly!

by Maria on Feb 25, 2011 at 11:53 am

4. What a pretty coffee cake! Wish I could sneak a slice in my purse for our Disney trip today 🙂 Have a great weekend!!

by Jenny Flake on Feb 25, 2011 at 11:56 am

5. Such a pretty cake!

by Christina on Feb 25, 2011 at 12:19 pm

6. I love the simple recipes the most…this looks so easy it could be dangerous 😉

by Monica on Feb 25, 2011 at 1:02 pm

7. I would like this for my breakfast, please and thank you.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Feb 25, 2011 at 1:10 pm

8. I love coffee cake and I love your creative spin on it with these delicious looking plums! Thanks for sharing this yummy breakfast treat, Tracy. Have a great weekend!

by Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on Feb 25, 2011 at 3:43 pm

9. This looks delicious! I don’t have any canned plums around, but I do have peaches!

by Katrina on Feb 25, 2011 at 3:48 pm

10. I love old family recipes, they are the best! This cakes looks simple and delicious, very pretty!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:17 pm

11. I love to make recipes of my grandma and my mother, it reminds me about them and makes the recipes taste better 🙂

I was so glad when I entered your blog, because last days I opened a jar of plums in syrup and my little girl drank all the syrup and left the plums .. I had no idea what to the with them. Thank you for sharing your precious recipe.

by Ari Recipes on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:26 pm

12. This looks wonderful… It reminds me of something my grandmother would have made. I love coffee cakes!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:30 pm

13. Yum! I was just thinking about coffee cakes the other day… how I never, ever make them. Gonna have to change that! This looks awesome.

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Feb 25, 2011 at 6:18 pm

14. My father’s side of the family is Polish and outside of a couple of dishes no one made any traditional fare. I am determined to change that and learn to make more Polish dishes. Thank you for giving me such a yummy sounding dessert to try.

by Mama Kelly aka Jia on Feb 25, 2011 at 10:03 pm

15. This sounds like an amazingly tasty coffee cake!

by Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen on Feb 25, 2011 at 10:32 pm

16. I think this must be a “grandmother’s cake”, mine used to make one very similar to this too. I love old recipes with lots of history and meaning behind them, those are the best kinds!

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Feb 25, 2011 at 10:53 pm

17. This cake looks so delicious. I can see myself easily growing addicted to it for sure.

by Eliana on Feb 25, 2011 at 10:58 pm

18. I love recipes that have a history behind them…it means they’re tried and true and loved…and thus have to be delicious! What a beautiful cake. I love how simple it is. The perfect teatime treat!

by Joanne on Feb 26, 2011 at 9:33 am

19. Your fruited coffee cake is so pretty. It is nice to use recipes that have been handed down to us.

by marla {family fresh cooking} on Feb 26, 2011 at 10:20 am

20. I love cookbooks old and new. Seems like u got urself a treasure there!

by crustabakes on Feb 27, 2011 at 10:40 am

21. Me too! Love family recipes. Those are always the best. Love this one. Going to save it!

by Delishhh on Feb 28, 2011 at 2:44 pm

22. I haven’t made coffee cake in forever! This is gorgeous. I think it’s time to break my streak of “no coffee cake”!!

by Fuji Mama on Feb 28, 2011 at 8:31 pm

23. Traditional recipes from family and recipes that bring back memories are my favorite. This cake looks delicious and I bet your canned plums really put it over the top:)

by Raina on Feb 28, 2011 at 8:42 pm

24. Simple and so pretty. What a wonderful family recipe (those are always the best).

by Cookin' Canuck on Mar 1, 2011 at 9:49 am

25. Love coffee cake… and yours looks divine! Totally bookmarking this!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xx
    Delightful Bitefuls

by Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls on Mar 1, 2011 at 12:27 pm

26. I just love the look of this, and the idea of slicing into it warm sounds too good.

by jennifurla on Mar 1, 2011 at 9:52 pm

27. Making this right now. So simple 🙂 I put apricots on mine!

by Rachel on Jun 12, 2011 at 11:13 am

28. thanks for the recipe! i just made this using strawberries and it turned out so well! i love how simple it is to make. had one too many pieces hahaa..

by Anna on Jul 22, 2011 at 4:38 pm

29. gonna make for Christmas….thanks!!!

by Irene on Dec 24, 2011 at 5:06 pm