Blood Orange Marmalade

Blood Orange Marmalade - 6

When I saw blood oranges hit the shelves a few weeks ago, all I could think about was making marmalade. Since I became addicted to canning last year, I like to make at least one batch of preserves every month so that I have lots of goodies both to last us through the winter and for Christmas gift baskets for family and friends. Unfortunately, there isn’t much that’s in season right now, so I usually stick with citrus preserves in January and February since there’s an always abundance of all things citrus at the grocery store. I used the recipe for blood orange marmalade straight out of the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, and now I have a new favorite marmalade. I hope it becomes one of your favorites, too!

Cut off the tops and bottoms of the oranges and score the peel of each orange lengthwise into quarters.

Blood Orange Marmalade - 1

Remove the peel and set aside the fruit. Place the pieces of peel into a large sauce pan and fill with water until covered. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat and boil for 10 minutes. Cover with cold water again and return to a boil for another 10 minutes or until the peel is softened. Drain.

Blood Orange Marmalade - 2

Using a spoon, scrape the pith (the white stuff) from the peel.

Blood Orange Marmalade - 4

Cut the peel into very thin strips. Using a knife, cut the membrane off of the orange segments. Place the fruit in a sauce pan and then squeeze the membrane over the pan to extract as much juice as possible before discarding the membrane.

Blood Orange Marmalade - 3

Add the cooked peel and 4 cups of water to the fruit, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and boil gently for about a half hour or until the peel is very soft. Remove from the heat and measure 6 cups of the fruit mixture, adding water if necessary.

Blood Orange Marmalade - 5

When ready to can, prepare your supplies. Bring the temperature of the glass jars up by processing them in hot water for several minutes. Heat a few cups of water in a small saucepan for the lids. Add in the 6 cups of sugar gradually, maintaining the boil. Boil hard, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches the gel stage, 25-30 minutes. When you reach the gel stage, skim off the foam and ladle the hot marmalade into the hot jars, leaving 1/4″ headspace. Place the full jars back into the boiling water and boil 10 minutes. Remove from the water and place the jars on a towel, and let the jars cool. The seals should suck down (you’ll hear a popping noise as they do). Makes 5-6 eight-ounce jars.

Blood Orange Marmalade - 6

Posted by on February 23, 2011.

Categories: canning

1. This may be one of this afternoons projects! 🙂

by Mel @ omgawesome.net on Feb 23, 2011 at 11:49 am

2. Yum! You just made me want to run to the closed and break out my canner, which has been in hiding since summer…

by Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow on Feb 23, 2011 at 11:53 am

3. Gorgeous marmalade!

by Maria on Feb 23, 2011 at 11:55 am

4. I love blood oranges. Wish I had a jar of this in my fridge!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Feb 23, 2011 at 12:13 pm

5. I have never tried canning, but you make it sound possible! This marmalade looks yummy!

by Sweet Bella Roos on Feb 23, 2011 at 12:27 pm

6. This marmalade looks beautiful! I made some last year but it didn’t turn out nearly as pretty. I will definitely try the recipe. Thanks for posting!

by Kate on Feb 23, 2011 at 12:29 pm

7. I’ve made LOTS of jams and jellies, but never marmalade. This looks incredible, and I love your step by step. Perfect!

by Susan on Feb 23, 2011 at 12:46 pm

8. yum! I love orange marmalade. My mom used to make me pb and orange marmalade sandwiches for my lunch as a kid. Blood oranges would make it even better. 🙂

by G. on Feb 23, 2011 at 12:47 pm

9. Oh I would love to learn how to can properly. This looks wonderful.

by carolinaheartstrings on Feb 23, 2011 at 1:29 pm

10. All of your canning adventures are so inspiring! And this one is gorgeous, love blood oranges!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Feb 23, 2011 at 2:38 pm

11. What a great idea. I’ve never made my own preserves before!

by Christina on Feb 23, 2011 at 2:51 pm

12. What absolutely beautiful photos you captured of those blood oranges! I always forget to buy them, but they’re indeed wonderful to use in recipes. Marmalade is a terrific idea!

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Feb 23, 2011 at 3:57 pm

13. What a wonderful use of blood oranges. The color of this marmalade is lovely.

by Cookin' Canuck on Feb 23, 2011 at 4:38 pm

14. Tracy, we are almost ready to open the jar of blood orange marmalade you sent. Have to get through the last of the apple butter and then it’s one to marmalade!

by Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon on Feb 23, 2011 at 5:21 pm

15. I just happen to have some of this in my fridge thanks to a wonderful little sugarcrafter 😉 And it is freaking delicious! Especially on homemade bread!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Feb 23, 2011 at 5:47 pm

16. That looks like a smile in a jar it does! 🙂

by Wenderly on Feb 23, 2011 at 6:48 pm

17. Wish I had a jar of this too!!!

by Ari Recipes on Feb 23, 2011 at 8:19 pm

18. This is just beautiful. And, I bet it’s delicious. We’re big fans of orange marmalade. It has so many wonderful uses.

by Nancy @SensitivePantry on Feb 23, 2011 at 9:04 pm

19. That reminds me, I haven’t made marmalade in such a long time! I’m going to have to get back into it.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Feb 23, 2011 at 10:45 pm

20. Canning or preserving something new every month sounds like such a great goal! I still haven’t attempted canning/preserving yet but you are convincing me that it’s totally worth doing! The blood orange marmalade looks and sounds delicious! Love their deep delicious flavor.

by Joanne on Feb 24, 2011 at 8:27 am

21. This looks so yummy! I’ve really got to start making my own jams and jelly’s. Thanks for the recipe!

by Katrina on Feb 24, 2011 at 9:01 am

22. am in love w/marmalades – especially blood orange marmalade; toast in the morning . . . biscuits in the afternoon . . . by the spoon in the evening . . . sigh . . .

by SMITH BITES on Feb 24, 2011 at 10:24 am

23. You really inspire me with your canning. I keep saying I am going to try it…one of these days soon. To receive a homemade canned good like this wonderful marmalade would be such a great gift. Your family and friends must love it. I would be slathering this on my toast every morning and would be so sad when it ran out:)

by Raina on Feb 24, 2011 at 10:38 am

24. Wow, that sounds like quite a bit of work, but i bet its all worth it! Your very own orange marmalade, without all the nasty chemicals that plague store boughts!

by crustabakes on Feb 24, 2011 at 12:08 pm

25. This is just stunning! I rarely see blood oranges around here, but I need to keep my eyes open for some. Reading this post is really getting me in the mood to do some canning again.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Feb 24, 2011 at 2:54 pm

26. This is absolutely great recipe. I always do it and use it when I cook the cake. This is delicious.

by rosa on Feb 24, 2011 at 6:05 pm

27. I absolutely adore blood oranges but have yet to step into the world of canning/preserving, I may have to get over my fear though so that I can enjoy blood oranges passed their season. You always make it look so easy.

by Eliana on Feb 24, 2011 at 11:30 pm

28. Simply beautiful!! I’m loving the blood oranges we have this season, but have never made anything like this… I may have to stretch my boundries!

by Kim - Liv Life on Feb 25, 2011 at 2:24 am

29. I would love to get my hands on some blood oranges. Those look delicious!

by Kristen on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:07 pm

30. These look wonderful! I’m planning to start making jams and preserves myself this year. Thanks for the post! 🙂

by Dory on Feb 27, 2011 at 7:24 pm

31. Made this. YES it is intensive prep work ….
    But made the best damn blood orange marmalade I’ve had in my life. And I’m making it again tonight.

by Suzanne on Mar 1, 2012 at 9:46 pm