Crepes

Crepes - 8

When hubby and I were newly married, one of the first recipes I wanted to conquer was his mom’s basic dessert crepes, which he loved growing up and which he frequently requested whenever we had a lazy Saturday with time to make an extra special breakfast. Made with a crepe maker rather than in a pan, I was totally intimidated…but after a teaching session with my mother-in-law (and a few flops on my own), I eventually got the hang of it. We usually make them with assorted fruit fillings, but chocolate mousse or vanilla creme are other great dessert options…or, you can go the savory route and fill them with eggs, cheese, bacon, ham, bell pepper…whatever your heart desires. You don’t need to serve crepes for breakfast only, either – one of my favorites for lunch is a turkey and smoked gouda crepe. Let your imagination run wild!

Recipe adapted from my mother-in-law.

In a large bowl, beat together all of the ingredients except the flour on medium speed.

Crepes - 1

Gradually add in the flour, beating until well-combined.

Crepes - 2

If lumps are present (they usually are), pour the batter through a fine mesh sieve. Then, pour the batter into a shallow dish.Β Once the crepe maker has heated up, turn it over and place it face-down in the plate of batter for 3-4 seconds. Remove it from the batter and quickly flip it back over, letting the crepe cook on the surface for a minute or so. (Note: The first couple don’t usually come out so well, and that’s okay – just scrape them off and keep going. After the first few, the crepes will start to come off more easily.)

Crepes - 3

Crepes - 4

Repeat until you have used up all the batter and you have a good stack of crepes. I usually get 25-30.

Crepes - 5

Spread the inside of each crepe with a bit of the desired filling, and then roll them up. I used caramelized apples in these.

Crepes - 6

Top with the desired toppings. For these apple dessert crepes, I drizzled a bit chocolate over the tops and served them with whipped cream.

Crepes - 7

Posted by on February 14, 2011.

Tags:

Categories: breakfast & brunch, desserts & sweets

1. ooo I love crepes so much! I use a crepe pan though, it was the first piece of kitchen equipment (plus a spatula!) I had when I moved into my first apartment πŸ˜€

by stephchows on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:37 am

2. I’m still terrified of them! But yours are beautiful. A new tea house just opened in my town that serves crepes all day – sweet ones, savory ones, you name it. I think I will just get some from them cuz I am a wimp! πŸ™‚

by JenniferA on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:39 am

3. Your crepes look perfect!

by Maria on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:42 am

4. Gorgeous Crepes!

by Jenny Flake on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:47 am

5. Love this- I used to make crepes for clients when I worked for a caterer… got pretty good at it too! I’ll have to buy a crepe making thingie for myself.

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:49 am

6. Gosh, they are just gorgeous! I may have to try these rather than my old stand-by…..tortillas! πŸ˜‰ (I AM in Texas, you know!)

by bridget {bake at 350} on Feb 14, 2011 at 12:18 pm

7. Man alive those look gorgeous. I really want a crepe maker, or at least a crepe pan with the little tool.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Feb 14, 2011 at 12:21 pm

8. Gorgeous, Tracy, just gorgeous! I have got to try these. I’ve made crepes once before, but I really need to buck up and try them again. They’re just so fun and give such a sense of accomplishment, don’t they? Great job on these!

by Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on Feb 14, 2011 at 12:53 pm

9. Crepes are one of my fav things! I love using them in sweet or savory dishes. Your crepes look perfectly made!

by naomi on Feb 14, 2011 at 12:55 pm

10. I have not had crepes in years. Yours look wonderful!!!!

by carolinaheartstrings on Feb 14, 2011 at 1:36 pm

11. You make it look so easy… I would have a nightmare in the kitchen if I tried this!! Great job and beautiful pics!

by Amanda on Feb 14, 2011 at 2:50 pm

12. Crepes totally intimidate me! You inspire me to give it a try, though, and yours look perfect. And with caramelized apples even? Delicious!

by Heather I. on Feb 14, 2011 at 3:08 pm

13. These crepes could not look more perfect. they remind me of the ones I had in Paris a few eyars ago. Hope you’re having a sweet VDay πŸ™‚

by Eliana on Feb 14, 2011 at 5:38 pm

14. Love love love crepes, sweet, savory… now I wish I had a crepe maker!

by Christina on Feb 14, 2011 at 6:06 pm

15. Love crepes! These look delicious!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Feb 14, 2011 at 6:50 pm

16. We absolutely adore crepes and, once you have the hang of them, they can be quite easy. I love your chocolate drizzle on these.

by Cookin' Canuck on Feb 14, 2011 at 7:30 pm

17. Yum! These look so good. I love the apple filling idea. My kids and hubby would love it…me too. And the turkey and gouda idea…wow..I am loving that too:)

by Rana on Feb 14, 2011 at 7:59 pm

18. It’s hard to beat a good crepe! One of my favorite things on the planet. And that top crepe picture? So good that I feel like I should be able to climb in and grab a bite!

by Fuji Mama on Feb 14, 2011 at 8:05 pm

19. Oh gosh I LOVE crepes! I always thought they would be hard to make at home, but you make it look so easy!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Feb 14, 2011 at 8:42 pm

20. Mmmm crepes are soo good aren’t they? My sister even keeps begging me to buy a crepe iron!

by Sherry Greek on Feb 14, 2011 at 9:11 pm

21. Mmmm…I love crepes! My husband was just telling me the other day that I should make some crepes. Thanks for the recipe…I can’t wait to try them out! πŸ™‚

by Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:12 pm

22. My daughter loves to order crepes when we go out for brunch. This would be fun for an at-home brunch – they look beautiful – and delicious!

by Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:33 pm

23. WOWWW! these crepes look amazing. they look so evenly browned and pretty! And caramel apples seem like such a wonderful choice for filling them up.

by crustabakes on Feb 15, 2011 at 4:32 am

24. Oh my, these look tasty. Funny, but I never had crepes until I was older. My mom seriously held out on me!

by Katrina on Feb 15, 2011 at 8:14 am

25. These look amazing and simple too

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Feb 15, 2011 at 10:10 am

26. Isn’t it the best feeling when u get to conquer one of your mom-in-law’s best recipes and the husband goes, “WOW!” I feel the same for carrot pudding that my MIL makes but I still need to be “there” with it. These crepes looks SO good!

by Prerna@IndianSimmer on Feb 15, 2011 at 12:50 pm

27. I so need a crepe maker! Those look srumdillyicous!

by Wenderly on Feb 15, 2011 at 1:04 pm

28. These look beautiful! I have never seen a crepe maker before… I always make mine in a pan (and the usually end up to be more like scrambled crepes). I will have to keep my eyes open for one of those… Definitely want to try this recipe!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Feb 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm

29. I remember the first time we tried to conquer our first batch of crepes. Yours look gorgeous!

by Shaina on Feb 16, 2011 at 12:28 am

30. These sound perfect! Yum!

by Jessica on Feb 16, 2011 at 3:24 am

31. My roommate used to have a crepe maker but I never got the hang of using one. I love to eat mine with Nutella, or dulce de leche – so good!

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Feb 16, 2011 at 8:05 am

32. Oh how I love crepes. These look delicious!

by Kristen on Feb 17, 2011 at 5:20 pm

33. I thought I was the only one who had an electric crepe maker. Long live the 70’s and hand-me-downs.

by Heather on Feb 18, 2011 at 7:16 pm

34. Ahh those look awesome. I love good crepes πŸ™‚ Never seen that maker though!

by Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on Feb 19, 2011 at 5:32 pm

35. Your crepes look wonderful. Folks often overlook crepes as a dessert…they’re light, flavorful and sweet. Thanks for the reminder!

by Nancy @SensitivePantry on Feb 20, 2011 at 8:23 pm