Orange Cheese Danish Pastry

Orange Cheese Danish - 6

I think I’ve mentioned once or twice that making more involved breakfasts is one of my favorite weekend activities. So, when the nice people at Sargento asked me to if I’d like to try out one of the recipes from their site and I came across this one for an orange cheese danish pastry, I couldn’t wait to make it…in fact, I couldn’t even wait for the weekend to arrive! We like to change things up and have breakfast for dinner around here once in a while anyway, and with frozen puff pastry on hand, this danish was actually not too involved at all and was very easy to throw together. I did leave out the nuts on top since I’m allergic, but we really didn’t miss them at all with the burst of flavor from the lovely orange glaze. Served alongside a hot cup of coffee or tea, this is an easy yet elegant pastry that I plan to serve again and again. Give it a try this weekend!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. To make the filling, in a large bowl, combine the cheese, sugar, egg, butter, flour, orange peel, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until well-blended.

Orange Cheese Danish - 1

Unfold the puff pastry on the parchment-lined sheets. On each side, make angled cuts about an inch apart.

Orange Cheese Danish - 3

Spread the cheese mixture down the center party of the pastry and then fold over the strips from the sides in a crisscross pattern.

Orange Cheese Danish - 4

Bake 25 minutes or until golden. To make the glaze, mix together the powdered sugar and orange juice until smooth.

Orange Cheese Danish - 2

Drizzle over the top of the pastry. Serve warm.

Orange Cheese Danish - 5

Full Disclosure: This was a featured post for Sargento; however the opinions expressed here are all my own.

Posted by on February 11, 2011.

Tags: , , ,

Categories: breakfast & brunch

1. What a beautiful way to start the day! Lovely!

by Maria on Feb 11, 2011 at 10:18 am

2. SO beautiful! And elegant! Just love this!

by Amanda on Feb 11, 2011 at 10:19 am

3. I don’t know why I’ve always been intimated by making danishes, maybe it’s the crisscross pattern? Really great explanation, it looks so beautiful.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Feb 11, 2011 at 10:22 am

4. Wow! That looks amazing! And really, really dangerous!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Feb 11, 2011 at 10:29 am

5. I love orange pastries! Mmmmm.

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Feb 11, 2011 at 10:46 am

6. Oooh yes please! We would have really rather had that for breakfast than cereal…

by The Blue-Eyed Bakers on Feb 11, 2011 at 11:13 am

7. I want this for breakfast!! And it’s sooo pretty…love the way the top is folded.

by Cookbook Queen on Feb 11, 2011 at 11:14 am

8. So pretty!! Love the looks of this one 🙂

by Jenny Flake on Feb 11, 2011 at 11:18 am

9. oh WOW!!! I am SOOO going to make this Tracy!! Thanks!!

by TidyMom on Feb 11, 2011 at 11:21 am

10. wow, u are so neat in plaiting the braids! This danish looks beautiful !

by crustabakes on Feb 11, 2011 at 11:22 am

11. Our family is huge on orange in their pastries – this looks wonderful! Thank you!

by Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles on Feb 11, 2011 at 11:34 am

12. I love cheese danish and with an orange flavor. YUM. Good choice to try.

by carolinaheartstrings on Feb 11, 2011 at 11:56 am

13. I usually think your recipes look too involved and difficult but this looks really easy and delicious! I’m going to try it 🙂

by Em on Feb 11, 2011 at 12:05 pm

14. This pastry looks just lovely, Tracy! Perfection.

by Shaina on Feb 11, 2011 at 12:15 pm

15. I have made danish more times than I can count, and have NEVER used frozen puff pastry for it. How dumb is THAT? I could have been saving myself a load of time.
    Yours look amazing, and the orange has to taste so good!

by doughmesstic on Feb 11, 2011 at 12:23 pm

16. Em – So glad you like this recipe. Baking from scratch may seem a bit intimidating, but it’s actually rather simple, and starting with this recipe is a great way to test the waters and perhaps try recipes you find more difficult in the future. Your feedback is always important to me as I like to know what my readers like to see, so thank you for sharing!

by Tracy on Feb 11, 2011 at 1:01 pm

17. Mm, looks like I’ll have something to try this weekend! I love oranges! Now, to find some frozen puff pastry..Mouth is watering already.

by Misa on Feb 11, 2011 at 1:46 pm

18. What a delicious looking breakfast treat. My family would flip over this! Yum!

by Kristen on Feb 11, 2011 at 2:10 pm

19. Oh, my. I LOVE cheese danish. This sounds so good right now (I’m so hungry)- wish I could have a piece! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

by Christina on Feb 11, 2011 at 2:54 pm

20. I love to make the braided stuff. This looks so easy to make too!

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Feb 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm

21. This is simply beautiful! Love the recipe.

by Robyn | Add a Pinch on Feb 11, 2011 at 3:24 pm

22. Yum! What a great recipe… I absolutely love braided pastries for breakfast. So pretty! Your photos look great, too… I love the one with the cutting board and the roses in the background.

PS – Now I am totally jealous and wishing I had some roses at my house. I will have to drop some Vday hints to the hubby. 🙂

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Feb 11, 2011 at 4:50 pm

23. Tracy, you’re right. Here is a question: my husband is a weirdly picky eater. I showed him the picture of the Danish and asked if he would eat it. He said cheese Danish scares him but if it had berries or something he would eat it. What if I spread some raspberry jam on the cheese mixture before wrapping the dough over it. Would that work? 🙂

by Em on Feb 11, 2011 at 6:40 pm

24. Em – Sounds good to me. 🙂 Or, you could even mix some fresh raspberries into the cheese mixture. Good luck!

by Tracy on Feb 11, 2011 at 6:44 pm

25. This looks divine

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Feb 11, 2011 at 8:31 pm

26. This sounds like such a delicious combination! Ricotta cheese and orange, yum!

by Wenderly on Feb 12, 2011 at 9:51 am

27. Danish pastries are really my weakness and this one looks fantastic! A must try!

by Sara on Feb 13, 2011 at 8:26 pm

28. This looks A-MA-ZING. I couldn’t have just one piece if I had it in front of me.

by Eliana on Feb 13, 2011 at 11:56 pm

29. This is beautiful, Tracy! You’re inspiring me to get creative with pastry, and I’m dying to try your delicious recipe. Thanks for sharing this wonderful treat!

by Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on Feb 14, 2011 at 1:44 am

30. I didn’t realize how easy this could be. I’m definitely giving this a try.

by Katrina on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:40 am

31. I love danishes, yours is gorgeous!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Feb 14, 2011 at 8:11 pm

32. It’s so pretty and I bet it tastes amazing!

by Sherry Greek on Feb 14, 2011 at 9:11 pm

33. This is so pretty. What a wonderful breakfast treat!

by Cookin' Canuck on Feb 15, 2011 at 12:58 am

34. Looks DELISH! Great Picture Also!

by bella on Feb 22, 2011 at 5:53 pm

35. How many does this serve? It looks delicious and it is quite beautiful! I definitely want to try this recipie out!

by Bobbi on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:07 pm

36. Bobbi – I cut the danish into 8 pieces, but you can make them bigger or smaller if you like.

by Tracy on Feb 27, 2011 at 6:32 pm

37. How did you fold the ends to keep the filling from running out?

by Shelly on Sep 13, 2011 at 6:56 pm

38. Shelly – I just pinched the ends where the crisscross pattern ended to the bottom of the dough. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Sep 13, 2011 at 7:09 pm

39. I made this recipe these last two weekends. It makes enough filling to use on two frozen puff pastry sheets. This has become a quick, easy, elegant go to for me. My whole family loves it. Husband said it looked professional the FIRST time I made it!
    The sweet orange flavor is divine! I love this recipe, thanks for sharing!

by Megan on Dec 29, 2013 at 6:03 am