Rosemary Garlic Bread

Rosemary Garlic Bread - 6

This is by far one of the best breads I’ve ever eaten. Rosemary is my all-time favorite herb, so when I saw this recipe for rustic rosemary garlic bread from Katie of goodLife {eats}, I knew I wouldn’t be able to resist making it. Rather than using a food processor though, I did all the work by hand, and the loaves came out just as beautifully (although I can’t wait for the next time around, because I’ll be able to use Katie’s method with my new fancy food processor with a dough blade that hubby gave me as a birthday present in December!). This bread is so full of flavor, and I just love the texture of the white/whole wheat flour combination. It’s perfect for just about anything, including sandwiches, panini, morning toast, and dunking in soup. Plus, the recipe makes two loaves, so you can eat one and freeze the other for later, or give it to a friend!

Recipe adapted from here and here.

In a small bowl, pour in the water and sprinkle the yeast over the top. Let stand 3 minutes until the yeast has dissolved. Whisk in the olive oil.

Rosemary Garlic Bread - 1

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, garlic, rosemary, and salt. Stir in the yeast mixture, and then turn out onto a floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a clean, oiled bowl, and turn over so that both sides of the dough are covered in oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled.

To shape the loaves, gently press the dough to deflate it. Divide it in half, and then press each half into a square before rolling them up tightly. Rotate the dough 90 degrees, and then roll up each half again from the short end. Place the dough pieces seam-side down and cover them with a a towel. Let rest 5 minutes.

Rosemary Garlic Bread - 2

Dust your baking sheet with cornmeal, and then elongate each piece of dough, pointing the ends slightly (I forgot to do this, so you can see that my loaves were more wide than long). Place the loaves seam-side down on to the baking sheet and then dust each loaf with flour. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled.

Rosemary Garlic Bread - 3

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees and set a pan on the lowest rack to keep the bottoms of the loaves from burning. Slash the top of each loaf with a sharp knife, and then place them in the oven. Immediately reduce the temperature to 450 degrees.

Rosemary Garlic Bread - 4

Bake 20 minutes, and then lower the temperature again to 350 degrees. Bake 20-30 minutes longer or until the loaves reach an internal temperature of 210-220 degrees. Remove the loaves from the oven and cool on a rack.

Rosemary Garlic Bread - 5

Posted by on February 9, 2011.

Categories: breads & pastries

1. My favorite bread!

by Maria on Feb 9, 2011 at 11:39 am

2. I need to get better at baking my own bread. I always think it’s just going to take too much time. Looks wonderful!

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Feb 9, 2011 at 11:44 am

3. This does look phenomenal. I saw it on GLE, too! I have everything in my pantry… just printed this! 🙂

by Liz @ BLog is the New Black on Feb 9, 2011 at 12:05 pm

4. Yum! There’s something about fresh bread from the oven that you just can’t beat!

by Lauren from Lauren's Latest on Feb 9, 2011 at 12:05 pm

5. Ooh, my fancy new food processor has a dough blade too – I should take mine for a whirl soon too! This looks like an excellent test subject. 🙂

by JenniferA on Feb 9, 2011 at 12:09 pm

6. Is there anything better than homemade bread? I don’t think so, and yours looks fabulous!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Feb 9, 2011 at 12:22 pm

7. Ooooh, that DOES look fantastic! Looks like I need to add that to my growing list of recipes to try during the coming week!!!

by Fuji Mama on Feb 9, 2011 at 12:25 pm

8. So glad you liked it, Tracy! This is one of our favorites and you’re spot on: it’s good with anything! We like to slice up the second loaf and freeze it so you can take a piece or two out at a time as you need it vs thawing the entire loaf.

by Katie | GoodLife Eats on Feb 9, 2011 at 12:33 pm

9. Beautiful! I’d love a piece of this right about now!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Feb 9, 2011 at 12:34 pm

10. That looks delicious!

by Michelle (What's Cooking with Kids) on Feb 9, 2011 at 1:36 pm

11. I am SUCH a carb lover… this post is making me drool!!!

by Amanda on Feb 9, 2011 at 2:00 pm

12. Those are beautiful loaves of bread… And, flavored with rosemary and garlic, I am sure they tasted amazing!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Feb 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm

13. What a beautiful bread! I love toasting rosemary bread and smearing with a thin layer of butter – oh, the aroma!

by Cookin' Canuck on Feb 9, 2011 at 2:32 pm

14. I made this when you posted it in January (or maybe I got it from your incex in January !) and it was Quick and Delicious !! My 16 yr. old son loved it !!

by Julie on Feb 9, 2011 at 3:21 pm

15. I love bread and have yet to dive into trying it more as a baker. I love how easy you present this-I’m feeling more confident about it!

by naomi on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:08 pm

16. I was just telling Katie the other day that I need to make more bread! This looks fantastic!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:52 pm

17. I can just smell the deliciousness through my screen! YUM!

by Wenderly on Feb 9, 2011 at 6:45 pm

18. Yum, this bread looks absolutely amazing! Gorgeous photos, too!

by sara on Feb 9, 2011 at 7:48 pm

19. Tracy, this bread looks just incredible! I bet it would make a wonderful sandwich. Thanks for sharing! I’m so glad to have found your blog and look forward to seeing more! 🙂 – Georgia

by Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on Feb 9, 2011 at 7:59 pm

20. I love rosemary and your bread looks perfect!

by Miss on Feb 9, 2011 at 8:24 pm

21. Rosemary and garlic are two great flavors to combine, this bread would be so nice with a pasta dinner.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Feb 9, 2011 at 9:11 pm

22. I really need to make my own bread! I bet it smelled amazing in your kitchen. 🙂

by Christina on Feb 9, 2011 at 9:58 pm

23. Hmmm – this bread looks glorious. I could very easily make a meal out of it (and eat a whole loaf).

by Eliana on Feb 9, 2011 at 10:26 pm

24. What a handsome looking bread. Rosemary is one of my fave herbs too!

by Crustabakes on Feb 10, 2011 at 12:31 am

25. Yum! Two of my favorite ingredients…rosemary and garlic! I will have to give this a try..looks great! 🙂

by Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen on Feb 10, 2011 at 12:35 am

26. This bread looks so tasty! I love garlic so much. Yum!

by Katrina on Feb 10, 2011 at 8:21 am

27. i really love your blog – and can’t wait to try this recipe. Bread and butter is my favorite thing!

by Camille on Feb 10, 2011 at 10:16 am

28. This sounds so good. There is nothing like fresh bread and your flavorful version must be delicious.

I got a food processor for Christmas and just used the dough blade to make my pizza dough. It came out delicious. The whole thing in the food processor in minutes, no kneading:)

by Raina on Feb 10, 2011 at 10:27 am

29. Truly delicious looking, my friend. 2011 is going to be the year I conquer bread baking.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Feb 10, 2011 at 11:16 am

30. OOO I love that these are half whole wheat! They look delicious. Fresh bread is totally my weakness 🙂

by stephchows on Feb 10, 2011 at 11:45 am

31. This looks awesome and although my thighs don’t need the calories I grow my own rosemary and what a wonderful recipe to use it in.

by carolinaheartstrings on Feb 10, 2011 at 1:15 pm

32. Perfection…I have at least 8 ft tall rosemary plants…like 10 of them

by Jennifurla on Feb 10, 2011 at 7:17 pm

33. Love rosemary bread but then your throw garlic on top, AH~!! Thinking of the smell alone knocks me out. I’ll have to give this one a go!

by Misa on Feb 11, 2011 at 10:30 am

34. Looks wonderful – I bet it tastes great fresh out of the oven! I love homemade bread.

by Kristen on Feb 11, 2011 at 1:16 pm

35. Love that it makes two loaves, and you could freeze! Although we never run out of bread so I’d make the two!! Carb happy! 🙂

by Courtney on Feb 12, 2011 at 12:40 pm

36. It is absolutely beautiful, Tracy! I can smell the yeasty aroma mingled with rosemary and garlic all the way here in Savannah. 🙂

by Kay @ The Church Cook on Feb 21, 2011 at 11:38 pm