Buckeyes

Buckeyes - 5

Over the last several months, I’ve seen various recipes for buckeyes popping up around the Web. And, while all of them share the same signature look to imitate that of the buckeye nut, not one of those recipes is “right” in my book. You see, my husband is from Ohio, so we will always root for the Ohio State Buckeyes and the Cleveland Browns. My mother-in-law, who was also born and raised in Ohio, has always made this special treat with Rice Krispies – so that’s the way I’ll always make them, too. Of course, mine are made with SunButter rather than peanut butter since I’m allergic to peanuts/nuts, but you can substitute peanut butter directly in this recipe. These are another great make-ahead treat that also freezes very well. Make them this weekend for the big game – your guests (or fellow guests) won’t be disappointed!

Recipe adapted from my mother-in-law.

In a large bowl, mix together the melted butter and the SunButter.

Buckeyes - 1

In another large bowl, mix together the Rice Krispies and powdered sugar.

Buckeyes - 2

Pour the cereal mixture into the SunButter mixture, and stir until combined.

Buckeyes - 3

Form into 1″ balls and place them on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Place the sheet in the freezer for 10-15 minutes so that the buckeyes firm up.

Buckeyes - 4

Dip the buckeyes in the melted chocolate, and then return them to the refrigerator for about 20 minutes or until the chocolate is set. Makes about 30 buckeyes.

Buckeyes - 6

Posted by on February 4, 2011.

1. Interesting – I’ve never seen a recipe for these with Rice Krispies!

by Victoria (District Chocoholic) on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:35 am

2. Oh I bet the rice crispies give them a nice light texture. I’ve never tried sunbutter but it sounds good even though I can eat peanut butter. I might just have to check it out.

by JenniferA on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:41 am

3. I’ve never seen Rice Krispies ones! Very fun; I love new variations. I’m from Cleveland (and lived in Columbus for 4 years) and am married to a Buckeye. :) Go Bucks! WOOF!

by Pamela on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:45 am

4. ooo I’m loving your version!! Anything with rice krispies is going to be better if you ask me :)

by stephchows on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:55 am

5. I have to make this, like now:)

by Maria on Feb 4, 2011 at 11:01 am

6. I’ve always wanted to make these little treats. They look delicious!

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Feb 4, 2011 at 11:01 am

7. YUM!! My family is from Ohio also…GO BUCKEYES!! I’ll have to try this recipe…Looks GREAT!!

by Cookbook Queen on Feb 4, 2011 at 11:13 am

8. You know, I’ve never made buckeyes, but I have made peanut butter rice krispie treats, which were amazingly delicious. I’m sure these treats are nothing short of that, either! :)

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Feb 4, 2011 at 12:07 pm

9. I have never seen this version but I really like it, nice crunhc and texture.

by Jennifurla on Feb 4, 2011 at 12:31 pm

10. I love the added texture of using rice krispies!

by naomi on Feb 4, 2011 at 12:48 pm

11. YUMMY! Love this combo of flavors!

by Jenny Flake on Feb 4, 2011 at 12:52 pm

12. Those look really amazing. I will have to give this recipe a try.

by carolinaheartstrings on Feb 4, 2011 at 3:44 pm

13. Ah! Love buckeyes. I love the crispy twist!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Feb 4, 2011 at 4:58 pm

14. These look so good! I’ve never made them with cereal before…nice idea!

by doughmesstic on Feb 4, 2011 at 6:01 pm

15. These look so yummy! I have only had them with plain peanutbutter. I love the idea to add rice crispies. They sound even better this way. My kids would go nuts for them:)

by Raina on Feb 4, 2011 at 6:04 pm

16. You know…I’ve never heard of buckeyes..they look good!

by Christina on Feb 4, 2011 at 6:49 pm

17. Ooo….love the Rice Krispies! So smart!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Feb 4, 2011 at 8:29 pm

18. I’ve never used Sunbutter before, but I’ve always been interested. I love peanut butter but I’m always up for trying new things!

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Feb 4, 2011 at 8:45 pm

19. These look great! I’ve seen lots of buckeye recipes, too… Now I need to give them a try!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Feb 4, 2011 at 9:09 pm

20. The rice krispie addition sounds awesome! Great idea!

by Katrina on Feb 5, 2011 at 8:48 am

21. Awesome! My 2 y/o son and I are also allergic to peanuts, so it’s nice to see alternatives used in recipes! I’m always experimenting. (of course, he is also allergic to eggs, which makes baking a little more difficult!)

by Mo'Betta on Feb 5, 2011 at 10:12 am

22. Go bucks! I love buckeyes! Yummy! I have never tried it with rice krispies, I bet they are delicious! :)

by Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen on Feb 5, 2011 at 11:24 am

23. Can’t wait to try these! Yum!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Feb 5, 2011 at 12:07 pm

24. YUMM! these are the most perfect no bake treats. I have never tried sun butter before, but they look amazing!

by Crustabakes on Feb 5, 2011 at 6:21 pm

25. I can’t wait to try these! What a fun variation. We’re also from Ohio and have never seen these… just the classic PB covered in chocolate. O-H!

by Leanne {The Bugs' Mama} on Feb 5, 2011 at 6:37 pm

26. I have seen buckeyes numerous times, but have never made them myself. They would be a huge hit with my kids!

by Cookin' Canuck on Feb 6, 2011 at 12:17 am

27. Hmmmm – really really love the combination of flavors and textures in these buckeyes. They look super super delish.

by Eliana on Feb 9, 2011 at 10:34 pm

28. I’ve never eaten nor made buckeyes, but these pictures are making me crave one immediately. Bookmarked on my stuff to try list!

by Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on Feb 15, 2011 at 4:37 pm

29. Hi,
    I was reading about your sun butter buck eyes and was wondering if you’ve ever made the peanut butter cookies with Hershey’s kisses using sun butter? My daughter has a peanut allergy, but my husband LOVES my peanut butter cookies. I’m not crazy about even having anything with nuts, peanuts, or peanut butter in the house anymore, but all of my favorite treats that I used to bake seem to have PB. Just wondering if the sun butter works in those cookies. Thank you!

by Sheri on Jan 26, 2012 at 11:57 am

30. Sheri – I sure have! That recipe can be found here. Enjoy!

by Tracy on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:08 pm

31. Wow! That was quick! Thank you!!

by Sheri on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:37 pm

32. I am from Columbus Ohio and have never seen them made with rice crispies…sounds wonderful.

by Tina on Aug 2, 2012 at 11:21 pm