Buffalo Chicken Cheese Ball

Buffalo Chicken Cheese Ball - 4

One of my favorite things to make for Super Bowl weekend is buffalo chicken dip. However, if hubby and I are going to a party somewhere else, sometimes I don’t feel like lugging along my 9×13″ baking dish. I decided that this year, I was going to take everything I love about that dip and put it into a cheese ball…much easier to transport, and you don’t have to worry about keeping it warm, either (although it tastes great warmed up, too!). You can make it several days ahead of time and the flavors will continue to meld together in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve, so it’s a great appetizer to have prepared beforehand if you don’t have a lot of time on game day. Make it today!

In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the cheddar and gouda cheeses.

Buffalo Chicken Cheese Ball - 1

Form into a ball, and then roll in the cheeses to coat.

Buffalo Chicken Cheese Ball - 2

Wrap in plastic wrap and chill at least an hour before serving. Serve with tortilla chips, pretzels, crackers, or chopped vegetables.

Buffalo Chicken Cheese Ball - 3

Posted by on February 2, 2011.

Categories: appetizers

1. Gouda? Buffalo? This has so many of my favorite things! Adding this to the list!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Feb 2, 2011 at 11:35 am

2. Great cheese ball recipe!

by Maria on Feb 2, 2011 at 11:36 am

3. What a perfect cheese ball for the big game! Bet it’s delicious!

by Jenny Flake on Feb 2, 2011 at 11:47 am

4. om nom nom! Looks great, Tracy. We’re away for Super Bowl this year, but I’d totally make this for any party we have. It’d be great for a Summer barbecue.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Feb 2, 2011 at 11:50 am

5. What a great twist on a cheese ball!

by Louanne on Feb 2, 2011 at 12:08 pm

6. Ooooh, I love this idea! So unique. It will be nice to have something other than the normal cheese ball!

by Fuji Mama on Feb 2, 2011 at 12:54 pm

7. I love buffalo chicken dip, and I’ve always wanted to make a cheese ball… I actually have gouda on hand, too! (I’ll be leaving the blue cheese out :))

by Liz on Feb 2, 2011 at 1:05 pm

8. A ball made of cheese… I would love to go to your Superbowl party!

by Christina on Feb 2, 2011 at 1:22 pm

9. Love this! Perfect for the Super Bowl

by Amanda @ Kevin & Amanda on Feb 2, 2011 at 1:44 pm

10. This sounds just perfect! Think I could eat the whole thing myself!

by Wenderly on Feb 2, 2011 at 1:57 pm

11. That is awesome!! Love it!

by Amanda on Feb 2, 2011 at 2:08 pm

12. Yum! Love this idea for Super Bowl!

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Feb 2, 2011 at 2:14 pm

13. Love it what a great superbowl idea, I shared it on facebook, glad to see you have a page 🙂

by Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} on Feb 2, 2011 at 2:54 pm

14. Oh baby, baby does this sound goooood! Thanks for the recipe!

by Renee (Kudos Kitchen) on Feb 2, 2011 at 3:07 pm

15. Oh dear…you’ve made me want to snack on chips and cheese balls. Not good I tell you! >.< Thanks for sharing!

by Misa on Feb 2, 2011 at 3:12 pm

16. This is such a great idea! I love Buffalo chicken dip, and this sounds like a fun new alternative. Yum 🙂

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Feb 2, 2011 at 3:23 pm

17. Great spice in this recipe, Tracy! What a fun idea to include chicken.

by Cookin' Canuck on Feb 2, 2011 at 5:17 pm

18. That’s a great idea to make your dip into a cheese ball, it dresses it up a bit, dips just don’t look as festive as a cheese ball platter.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Feb 2, 2011 at 7:07 pm

19. This looks fantastic! My family would go nuts for this. You are super creative to have come up with it. You will have some happy Super Bowl friends:)

by Raina on Feb 2, 2011 at 8:18 pm

20. Cheeseballs are so awesome. This is one of the coolest recipes I’ve seen for one. Sweet.

by Katrina on Feb 2, 2011 at 8:34 pm

21. With chicken? Now that is an appetizer I could stay all night with and never miss dinner!

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Feb 2, 2011 at 11:50 pm

22. This is brilliant – totally making my super bowl menu this year!

by Kristen on Feb 2, 2011 at 11:59 pm

23. So creative! Love this one!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Feb 3, 2011 at 10:55 am

24. So creative! I can’t wait to make this one!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Feb 3, 2011 at 10:56 am

25. That looks like it is to die for. I would have to have one just for me! YUM!

by carolinaheartstrings on Feb 3, 2011 at 11:58 am

26. Oh my gosh Tracy this sounds AMAZING!! Headed over to check out the dip recipe too!!

by Cookbook Queen on Feb 3, 2011 at 12:54 pm

27. What a great Superbowl dish! It looks amazing.

by Beth on Feb 3, 2011 at 3:34 pm

28. I just love this recipe, what a ftastic snacking item.

by Jennifurla on Feb 3, 2011 at 4:05 pm

29. Absolutely perfect for the Super Bowl! I’m in a buffalo chicken mood this week too! 🙂

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Feb 3, 2011 at 11:53 pm

30. I’d fill celery sticks with this cheese and surround the cheese ball, then have crackers or tortilla chips alongside. Great recipe! Thanks!

by Dianne on Nov 24, 2011 at 2:29 am

31. This was a GREAT hit among partiers !! I used canned diced chicken (drained well & rinsed). To give it a little more kick, I added about l/4 tsp. of liquid smoke . I also served it with the Ranch Craxcker. Makes a LARGE ball. Will definetely be making it again soon. In case you need the reciped for the crakers it is: l cup oil
    1 pkg. Ranch Dressing Mix
    1/4 tsp Dill Weed
    1/4 tsp. Lemon Pepper
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Mix above together well. Put 2 pkg. of regular Saltine Crackers in a large zip lock back & pour mixture over them. Shake to coat well. Spread on large roasting pan & place in oven on 225 degrees, stirring every ten min. til golden brown.

by Ann on Jan 2, 2012 at 7:20 pm

32. AMAZING! Doubled the recipe and serving it for BCS championship game tomorrow. Serving with tortilla chips and celery. What a great idea, thanks!

by Sherri McQuillan on Jan 8, 2012 at 11:19 pm

33. I’m so glad I found this recipe! I’m headed to a trivia night this weekend and this is the perfect snack food since our group loves buffalo chicken dip, but we’d have no way of keeping it hot. Thanks for sharing!

by Tiffany GIldehaus on Jan 17, 2012 at 10:35 pm

34. Was looking for more ‘Buffalo’ recipes when I saw this one and then saw the Ranch Crackers recipe! Thanks so much! These both sound wonderful!!

by Jennie on Sep 7, 2012 at 3:20 pm

35. Great idea cant wait to make it!

by Angie on Oct 25, 2012 at 1:24 pm

36. Don’t like Blue Cheese and have never tried Gouda….Could I use Feta in place of one or another kind????

by Lorrie on Oct 26, 2012 at 9:17 am

37. I made this for one of our many Ohio State football Saturdays last year and it was a huge hit. We have a lot of buffalo lovers who come over for the game every week, so thanks for the fun recipe!

by Tara @ Movie Bites on Feb 27, 2013 at 8:13 pm

38. Not a fan of blue cheese but have seen ranch salad dressing used instead…do you think it would work in this recipe? I have everything but the blue cheese…

by Debbie on Feb 11, 2015 at 4:53 pm