Red Quinoa Mediterranean Salad

Red Quinoa Mediterranean Salad - 4

I just wanted to give each and every one of you who commented on my flourless chocolate cake post a heartfelt thank you for all of your love and well-wishes. I am doing well; I’m settling into my new routine at home – the one thing I definitely don’t miss about my job is driving a half hour to and from work every day, especially in the winter. I’m taking some time to decide what I want to do next…oh, and I did I mention that we’re getting a puppy? Hubby and I have always wanted to get a dog, and we decided that the timing was perfect since I’ll be home for a little while and the puppy won’t have to be alone all day, which is important in the beginning and for potty training and all that. We got lucky and found a breeder who had one male puppy left in her litter, and we’re really looking forward to bringing him home very soon!

Now that I’ve shared our fun news, back to the salad. Though I’ve had quinoa before, I’ve never cooked it myself, and it was much easier than I thought – I whipped this up at the beginning of the week, and I’ve been eating it for lunch every day either by itself or as a side. Best of all, you don’t even realize how incredibly healthy it is, because it tastes so good. Give it a try this week!

Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

Red Quinoa Mediterranean Salad - 1

Dice the eggplant, cucumber, tomato, and olives, and mince the garlic. Drain the chick peas and set aside.

Red Quinoa Mediterranean Salad - 2

In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients except the cheese.

Red Quinoa Mediterranean Salad - 3

When ready to serve, crumble 1/4 cup feta cheese over the top of each serving. Serve at room temperature.

Red Quinoa Mediterranean Salad - 5

Posted by on January 26, 2011.

Tags:

Categories: soups, salads, & sides

1. LOVE quinoa- looks great!

by Liz @ BLog is the New Black on Jan 26, 2011 at 1:30 pm

2. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen red quinoa before…not that I’ve looked for it. A delicious and healthy looking salad!

by Lauren from Lauren's Latest on Jan 26, 2011 at 1:37 pm

3. I always mean to cook more quinoa. A puppy! How exciting! I want a puppy 🙁

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Jan 26, 2011 at 1:39 pm

4. I LOVE quinoa! Great salad recipe. I’m excited to try.

by Katrina on Jan 26, 2011 at 1:56 pm

5. The salad and ingredients and everything look fabulous. And congrats on the new puppy!!! 🙂

by Amanda on Jan 26, 2011 at 2:04 pm

6. Great recipe. I don’t cook enough with quinoa, but I also don’t have that many quinoa recipes-so I’m glad to add this one to my recipe box.

by naomi on Jan 26, 2011 at 2:04 pm

7. So, you don’t cook the eggplant ahead of time? It’s raw?

by Annesta on Jan 26, 2011 at 2:21 pm

8. Yes! A quinoa recipe! I never know what to do with quinoa- this sounds great. Congrats on the new puppy, you must share pictures. 🙂

by Christina on Jan 26, 2011 at 3:35 pm

9. I keep meaning to try quinoa, but I haven’t yet! This salad looks like the perfect way to try it! Congrats on the puppy!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Jan 26, 2011 at 4:57 pm

10. Yum! What a fabulous looking salad… And, I love how healthy it is!

Hope you enjoy your time at home with the puppy… Sometimes a bit of a change of pace can be a good thing. Can’t wait to see lots of pictures of the puppy!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jan 26, 2011 at 5:13 pm

11. Annesta – Yes, the eggplant is raw. You can cook it ahead of time if you prefer it that way, though!

by Tracy on Jan 26, 2011 at 6:26 pm

12. this recipe sounds amazing:) i cant wait to try this. thanks for sharing this.

by blackbookkitchendiaries on Jan 26, 2011 at 6:49 pm

13. I have never tried quinoa but it sounds great in your delicious salad.

That is so nice that you are getting a puppy. My kids have always wanted a dog. I keep saying one of these days:)

by Raina on Jan 26, 2011 at 10:22 pm

14. Aww, have fun with your new puppy! This quinoa salad looks fantastic – so many wonderful flavors in one little bowl.

by Cookin' Canuck on Jan 26, 2011 at 11:12 pm

15. This is my type of recipe! Love quinoa and how you made it!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Jan 27, 2011 at 11:16 am

16. what a beautiful salad! i’ve never seen red quinoa before, but it looks wonderful!

by teresa on Jan 27, 2011 at 11:55 am

17. Looks beautiful, Tracy! And puppy will certainly will bring a lot of joy and laughter!! 🙂

by Kay @ The Church Cook on Jan 27, 2011 at 1:02 pm

18. mmm thsi looks delicious!! And can’t wait to see your pup once he’s home!

by stephchows on Jan 27, 2011 at 4:57 pm

19. I wish this was my dinner:)

by Maria on Jan 27, 2011 at 6:33 pm

20. I love quinoa! So easy to cook up – I use it now instead of couscous. Its a complete protein, and so good! Looks like a delicious combo.

by Lizzy on Jan 27, 2011 at 8:16 pm

21. Love, love, love everything about this salad! This is so the type of salad I make myself all the time. I’ve never made it with raw eggplant though, I didn’t realize you could eat it raw.

Congratulations on the new puppy, do we get to see pictures soon?

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Jan 27, 2011 at 11:55 pm

22. Sounds yum!

Sometimes things happen for a reason, good luck with the puppy!

by Lindsay on Jan 28, 2011 at 8:27 am

23. A puppy is a fantastic idea! There is just nothing in the world better than puppy breath to put a smile on your face! 🙂 Congrats!

by Wenderly on Jan 28, 2011 at 4:26 pm

24. We don’t think of using Quinoa nearly enough. This looks delicious!

by Kristen on Feb 2, 2011 at 10:16 am