Lunch with Steph of ::Steph Chows::

Brick 266 - 7

A couple weeks ago, I read a comment on my blog left by Steph of ::Steph Chows::…and, as I usually do with new-to-me bloggers, I went to check out her blog, too. I immediately noticed two things: first, she’s got a LOT of recipes for muffins – her coconut-rhubarb muffins are on the top of my list to try. And second, she hosts an annual jam exchange! Since I’m totally addicted to canning, this made me really excited. But, what made me even more excited was what I saw on her Twitter profile: Rochester, NY. That’s right…a local food blogger! I could hardly contain my excitement. Soon, we were e-mailing back and forth, and she suggested that we meet up for lunch…after we both assured each other that we weren’t really scary old men pretending to be young women, haha. So, meet up we did!

We met at Brick 266 on Saturday, a local pizza place that does thin-crust wood-fired pizza. It’s a tiny place with a good-sized brick oven in the middle of the room…

Brick 266 - 1

…but, what the restaurant lacks in size, the owner makes up for with personality.

Brick 266 - 4

He’s an extremely friendly and outgoing guy…while we were there, he engaged every customer in conversation, and was an expert at getting everyone to laugh and feel comfortable.

Brick 266 - 5

He was fascinated by the fact that Steph and I were bloggers who had never met in person before, and were getting together to share pizza. We both got pizzas with artichokes and sun-dried tomatoes, only mine had sweet onions while Steph’s had mushrooms…so he was also fascinated by the fact that we ordered almost the same exact thing, and he asked us if we were sure that we weren’t sisters.

Brick 266 - 2

Mmm, pizza. Hi Steph!

Brick 266 - 3

The pizza was delicious, and I’m kind of but not really ashamed to say that I ate the whole thing while Steph and I chatted and got to know each other. One of our most fun discoveries was that we share the same grandmotherly-type hobbies: sewing, quilting, and canning, among others. We even did a little mini jam exchange! I can’t wait to try Steph’s apricot jam with organic sucanat. I think one of the best parts about making jam is popping opening a can of delicious fruit preserved over the summer in the middle of the cold, dreary winter!

When we had finished our pizzas, the owner told us that we just had to try his dessert and that it was on the house. A few minutes later, he delivered a plate of pizza frita to our table: essentially fried dough with powdered sugar, but it was also drizzled with honey, and man was it good. We easily chowed down the whole plate.

Brick 266 - 6

When we had finished our dessert, we got ready to leave, since two hours had flown by since we got there! I had so much fun getting to know Steph, and we definitely plan to meet up again. I never cease to be amazed at just how awesome the food blogging community is, and I feel so lucky to be a part of it!

Now, go on and check out Steph’s blog!

Posted by on January 24, 2011.

Tags:

Categories: events

1. How fun and it sure is a small world. The pizza place looks amazing!. Thanks for sharing.

by carolinaheartstrings on Jan 24, 2011 at 10:43 am

2. That is so fun!! So glad you got to meet and that you have so much in common and that you both are awesome bakers!!!

by Amanda on Jan 24, 2011 at 11:07 am

3. How fun!!

I have never met a blogger yet, and there aren’t many near me 🙁

I’m so glad you guys got to meet!!

by Cookbook Queen on Jan 24, 2011 at 11:11 am

4. How fun that you were able to meet up with a fellow blogger and have so much!

by naom on Jan 24, 2011 at 11:32 am

5. What a blast!! Can’t wait for our next meet up and I can’t wait to pop open the jam you gave me too! After I left I realized I forgot my leftovers so I called John back and he ran them out to me haha. My John (ha) loved the leftovers and we’ll totally be going there!

by stephchows on Jan 24, 2011 at 11:46 am

6. It sounds as though you two had a great time together – and what a meal! I’m heading over to check out Steph’s site right now.

by Cookin' Canuck on Jan 24, 2011 at 12:51 pm

7. Aww, I’m jealous that you two live so close to each other! It looks like a great time.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Jan 24, 2011 at 3:20 pm

8. That pizza looks great!
    And making new blog friends is the best!

by Jeanne on Jan 24, 2011 at 4:44 pm

9. So much fun – I love meeting food bloggers in real life 🙂

by Kristen on Jan 24, 2011 at 5:04 pm

10. How awesome, sounds like you had a great time. That pizza looks amazing!

by Christina on Jan 24, 2011 at 5:55 pm

11. Those pizzas look fabulous, and I will definitely check out Steph’s site! It’s always so much fun meeting new bloggers!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jan 24, 2011 at 6:01 pm

12. always fun to meet fellow bloggers!

by SMITH BITES on Jan 24, 2011 at 6:52 pm

13. so fun! i have yet to have a blogger meetup, but i can’t wait to meet some fellow bloggers in person. the pizza sounds wonderful!

by teresa on Jan 24, 2011 at 8:39 pm

14. Great post Tracy! I would love to meet other bloggers and talk blogging. Sounds like you had a great time. I wish I lived closer so I could meet you both and go to that wonderful pizza restaurant. It looks fantastic.

by Raina on Jan 24, 2011 at 11:10 pm

15. what a fun experience. There are quite a few food blogger I’ve met at events in So Cal, but I sure wish I would meet one in my area 🙂 Great lunch, I really want pizza now! I miss East Coast Pizza.

by Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} on Jan 25, 2011 at 12:58 am

16. Jam exchange!!! YUM!

by Camille on Jan 25, 2011 at 10:28 am

17. How fun and great story! That food looks amazing!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Jan 25, 2011 at 10:44 am

18. It makes me so happy to know that bloggers meet up in person like this! I’ve never met another food blogger before, and always wanted to. Thanks for sharing the nice story 🙂

by Katrina on Jan 25, 2011 at 11:28 am

19. I think you kind of look like sisters! Soul sisters, maybe…

by Penny on Jan 25, 2011 at 12:17 pm

20. gee, you two could pass as sisters too!! 🙂

by Kelly W on Jan 25, 2011 at 9:51 pm

21. OMW!! That pizza looked amazing. Isn’t it so much fun meeting blogging buddies that live nearby 🙂 I’m so glad that you had such a good time together.

by Tickled Red on Jan 25, 2011 at 10:20 pm

22. That is so cool! I love it when you realize how small the world can be. I am jealous of your hobbies. I can’t sew very well, I think I’m a lost cause, but I want to learn to make jam! Lovely post.

by Miss on Jan 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm

23. This is what I want to do! San Diego peeps where you at! ha, nice time!

by Jennifurla on Jan 26, 2011 at 5:36 pm

24. How FUN! I have yet to find a local food blogger.

by Sue on Jan 26, 2011 at 7:40 pm

25. I feel so fortunate to be part of this great food blogging community as well! How fun for you to get to share such a delightful afternoon with someone who has so much in common! So far I don’t know anyone “local” that I could do this with!

by Wenderly on Jan 27, 2011 at 7:22 pm