Flourless Chocolate Cake

Flourless Chocolate Cake - 5

When I envisioned leaving my job as a technical writer, I always thought I would put in my two weeks notice and then spend my remaining time nicely wrapping up all my work, and saying goodbye to all the wonderful people I worked with over the years. And of course, there would be cake. I occasionally brought in homemade goodies, and I always thought that on my last day, I’d bring in chocolate cake. Unfortunately, that’s not exactly how things worked out. I was laid off on Tuesday – and though I was assured that it had nothing at all to do with me or my performance and that my department was simply being eliminated – there was no work to finish up, and no time for goodbyes. I’m bummed for sure, because I loved my job…and more than that, my co-workers were nothing short of amazing. So, in honor of them, and because I think everyone should have a going-away cake, here it is: flourless chocolate cake.

Adapted from the Tate’s Bake Shop Cookbook by Kathleen King.

• 2 cups dark chocolate chips
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp instant espresso powder
  • 3/4 cup boiling water
  • 1 cup salted butter, softened
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups sweetened whipped cream, for garnish
  • 16 ounces frozen berries, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line the bottom of a 9×3″ springform pan with cooking spray. Cut out a circle of wax paper to line the bottom of the pan. In a food processor, process the chocolate chips, sugar, and espresso powder until finely ground.

Flourless Chocolate Cake - 1

With the motor still running, add in the boiling water so that the chocolate will melt. Then, add in the butter, followed by the eggs and vanilla. Process until smooth, and then pour the mixture into the prepared pan.

Flourless Chocolate Cake - 2

Bake 40 minutes. The cake will rise to the top and will be puffy, and the center will be barely set.

Flourless Chocolate Cake - 3

Loosen the sides of the cake immediately (if you don’t, when the center sinks down, it can take the sides with it) and then let the cake cool. Refrigerate for 3 hours. The cake will sink down, especially in the center, which is perfect for adding sweetened whipped cream.

Flourless Chocolate Cake - 4

Garnish with fresh or frozen berries, fruit sauce, or compote – whatever you like best!

Flourless Chocolate Cake - 5

51 Responses to “Flourless Chocolate Cake”

1. 1 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Tracy, you know how sorry I am about your job. But things aren’t all bad! There’s still cake :)

2. 2 Cookbook Queen Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 1:42 pm

You are totally right…everyone deserves a going away cake!! This one looks amazing!!

3. 3 Theresa Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 1:55 pm

So sorry to hear about the downsizing, but if anything would cheer me up in that situation, it would be that fantastic looking chocolate cake for sure :)

4. 4 G. Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I’m so sorry about your job, Tracy! I will most certainly be making this…maybe for Valentine’s day!

5. 5 Missie Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 2:03 pm

that sounds amazing! I have always wanted to try to make some “flourless!”

6. 6 JenniferA Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Love the toppings – makes it so pretty! So sorry about your job. :-(

7. 7 sara Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Oooooh, so pretty! This cake looks totally delicious, yum! :)

8. 8 Jessica @ How Sweet Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 2:42 pm

This is so pretty. Not to mention, I’d probably eat the entire thing in one sitting.

9. 9 Bee Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I’m really sorry about your job, Tracy. :( I know exactly how it feels, and even though they assure you that it’s not you, it still feels like it somehow.

The cake looks delicious and simple! I like G’s idea of making it for Valentine’s Day! Maybe I’ll give it a shot too. :)

10. 10 Bea Roque Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your job… its just too sad :-( but I am sure you will find something very soon, and some new colleagues to share this delicious cake with them.

All the best

B

11. 11 SMITH BITES Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 2:59 pm

what a cake to celebrate w/Tracy – I’ll come celebrate w/you!! chocolate & espresso – my ‘died-and-gone-to-heaven’ combo!

12. 12 Renee (Kudos Kitchen) Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Sorry for the loss of your job Tracy. I’m sure it’s a very sad time but know for certain that something better is just around the corner for you. There is no doubt in my mind.
    BTW, your cake looks amazing. I’m making a recipe like it this afternoon via Dorie Greenspan but yours looks better. Love all the berries and topping. Best wishes and can’t wait to hear all the exciting new stuff that’s going to happen in your life now.

13. 13 Liz Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Oh, gosh. Certainly not the way to exit! But I’m sure you’ve got great things waiting in your future. You’re too talented here on this blog not to be successful!

14. 14 srithasan Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Lovely Pretty Frutti Chocolate Cake.Nice to eat.

15. 15 Lisa Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 3:48 pm

What a masterpiece of a cake! It must have been an absolute joy to eat this.

16. 16 Katrina Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 3:51 pm

This is awesome! I’ve never made a cake without flour before! Yum!

17. 17 Jacqueline Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I’m so sorry about your job! I’m sure things will turn around quickly, and in the meanwhile…cake!

18. 18 Jenn P Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 4:28 pm

OMG I can totally make this. I’m so sorry. Let me know if you want to hang out. :) coffee again? or while ben’s at school! :)

19. 19 Amanda Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Just beautiful!!

20. 20 Barida Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Tracy,
    this looks absolutely FABULOUS!! i must do it as soon as i can, promise i will tell you how it went ;-)

21. 21 stephchows Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 4:56 pm

That would be a wonderful way to say goodbye! I’ll help eat a slice if you bring some this weekend haha. You will find another amazing job though!! Take this time to relax and do what makes you happy!

22. 22 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 5:02 pm

So sorry about your job, Tracy… I am sure they are going to wish they had given you more notice if they see this amazing cake!

23. 23 Jamie | My Baking Addiction Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Sorry about your job, Tracy! This cake does look fantastic though…the topping is gorgeous!

24. 24 Tara @ Smells Like Home Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 5:45 pm

aww Tracy i’m so sorry to hear about your job! wishing you open doors and great new opportunities in the near future. this cake sure brightens my day and i hope it did yours as well!

25. 25 Ali @ Three Baking Sheets Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 5:50 pm

As cliched as it sounds, I’m confident that another door will open up for you. And hopefully there will be plenty more chocolate cake behind that door.

26. 26 Christina Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Sorry to hear about your job. :( At least you found a reason to make this cake!

27. 27 Jennifurla Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 7:26 pm

So sorry Tracey, what a bummer. Your cake is gorgeous, lovely decoration on yop

28. 28 Sally Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Tracy, I’m so sorry to hear about your job loss. I will be praying that newer and greater opportunities will come your way soon.
    Amazing job on the cake!!! :)

29. 29 Jen O Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your job. I hope something better will come your way!

30. 30 Tracy Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 10:49 pm

So sorry to hear about the job, Tracy! And this cakes looks absolutely yummy!

31. 31 Therese Says:
    January 21st, 2011 at 12:11 am

I’m so sorry about your job loss, Tracy. I’m sure a newly-opened door is just around the corner. The cake looks amazing!

32. 32 Sue Says:
    January 21st, 2011 at 12:17 am

This cake looks beautiful and rich, jut like I’m sure your future will be! Hang in there!

33. 33 Camille Says:
    January 21st, 2011 at 10:25 am

some fabulous adventure is in store for you!

34. 34 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. Says:
    January 21st, 2011 at 10:27 am

Looks fabulous and would be perfect on Passover too

35. 35 Kay @ The Church Cook Says:
    January 21st, 2011 at 10:43 am

When one door is closes on you, there is another one opening for you. Look forward to see what is in store for you this year, Tracy! In the mean time, that is one something wonderful looking cake! :)

36. 36 Jarrelle Says:
    January 21st, 2011 at 10:59 am

Not a great way to kick off the year I am sure but just remember good things comes to those who wait!!! Enjoy this time baking you get to do now!!! I cannot wait to make this cake, this is perfect for someone who has Celiac’s:)
    Thank you and stay positive!!

37. 37 Gina Gutierrez Says:
    January 21st, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Wow!! That looks great!So sorry to hear about your job! There’s a new adventure awaiting on you!!

38. 38 bridget {bake at 350} Says:
    January 21st, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Oh no….I’m sorry to hear about your job. I have a feeling there are good things on the horizon for you, though. Cookbook, perhaps?!?

39. 39 Judy B. Says:
    January 21st, 2011 at 1:12 pm

For every door that shuts, another opens up with better opportunity…good things are in store for you so go forward with anticipation. Losing a job is scary and sad but you will survive.

Cake looks delicious – definitely one to make for Valentines Day!

40. 40 Honey Says:
    January 21st, 2011 at 3:13 pm

oh wow, that looks amazinggggggggggggg! Do you think I’d be able to use less than 6 eggs… but man this looks yummy. Great recipe for someone on the Atkins :-)

41. 41 teresa Says:
    January 21st, 2011 at 10:41 pm

i’ve heard of flourless cake, but never tried it. it looks delicious, and beautiful!

i’m sorry to hear about your job, i’ve been laid off before too, it’s lousy.

42. 42 shelly (cookies and cups) Says:
    January 23rd, 2011 at 10:14 am

so sorry to hear about your job…it never works out the way we plan, does it?
    But on the bright side, this cake looks incredible. I haven’t ever tried flourless choc cake. seems easier than i thought!

43. 43 Raina Says:
    January 23rd, 2011 at 10:41 pm

So sorry to hear about you being laid off. It seems like lately there is a lot of that going on. I hope you find a job that you love even more soon:)

Your cake looks amazing. I have the Tate’s Bake Shop cookbook and absolutely love it. I have not tried this cake yet, but I definitely will now. You made it look so darn good. I love your addition of whipped cream and fruit…wow!

44. 44 Miss Says:
    January 23rd, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Bummer about your job! However, this cake, oh my, it must taste as fantastic as it looks!

45. 45 Kristen Says:
    January 24th, 2011 at 1:01 am

I’m so sorry about your job :( You’ll bounce back and even better things will come along, I’m sure!

46. 46 Anna Says:
    January 24th, 2011 at 11:38 am

I’m so sorry to hear about your job!! Hopefully another job will come up soon. The cake looks so pretty, I bet it tasted great :)

47. 47 Jarrelle Says:
    January 25th, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I hope this puts a smile on your face. . . I made this for my best friends bridal shower over the weekend and there were 3 of us there that have Celiac’s so I made sure that we got the 1st 3 pieces and then let anyone have it!!!! It wasa hit and noone knew that it was gluten free!!!! Thanks for another hit! Keep em’ coming!

48. 48 Karen @ Oldfangled Says:
    January 26th, 2011 at 10:41 am

Bummer on the layoff! The cake looks really yummy, though.

49. 49 Eliana Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 11:42 pm

So sorry about your job but you are pretty awesome for making this for them. It looks amazing.

50. 50 Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) Says:
    February 15th, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Sucks about the job, but that cake sure looks awesome. They’re going to miss you!!

51. 51 Spencer Says:
    October 24th, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Looks awesome! I love a good cake and this one looks so tasty. I would love to try some.