Farfalle with Bacon, Onion, and Gouda

Farfalle with Bacon, Onion, and Gouda - 4

I just have to preface this post by saying that this isΒ NOT diet food. While TV commercials, blogs, magazines, gyms, and weight loss programs are all pushing for everyone to get on a health kick right now that they likely won’t sustain past the end of the month, I’m going to keep on sticking to my motto: everything in moderation. I’m not going to post “healthy” recipes all month long, nor am I going to put a ban on baked goods – I’m going to continue to enjoy the food I love, all in moderation. Now that I’ve gotten that out of the way…this is a dish I threw together last month when I was looking for pure comfort food. At its core, it’s really just fancy macaroni and cheese, but it hit the spot and was so delicious that I just had to share it. I hope you enjoy it!

Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

Farfalle with Bacon, Onion, and Gouda - 3

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until slightly crispy. Remove to a paper towel to absorb some of the drippings. Once cool, chop into pieces. SautΓ© the onion in the remaining bacon drippings until tender, and then remove to a paper towel.

Farfalle with Bacon, Onion, and Gouda - 1

Grate the cheese.

Farfalle with Bacon, Onion, and Gouda - 2

Drain the sauce pan of the bacon drippings, and then add the bacon, onion, cream, and butter to the pan. Let simmer on low heat for a few minutes, until the cream sauce begins to reduce and thicken. Stir in the cheese. Add the pasta to the skillet, and stir until all of the ingredients are incorporated and the pasta is coated with the sauce. Season with the salt and pepper. Serve warm.

Farfalle with Bacon, Onion, and Gouda - 5

Posted by on January 17, 2011.

Tags: , ,

Categories: dinner

1. Oh man!!! You got me with this one! I’d like a big plate of this right now please. Thanks for the recipe Tracy.

by Renee (Kudos Kitchen) on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:34 am

2. You’re killing me, Tracy! What a dish this is – bacon, cheese, cream. Wow!

by Cookin' Canuck on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:35 am

3. What a decadent pasta dish!

by Maria on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:39 am

4. Wow! This looks incredible! I want it for breakfast!

by Lauren B. on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:44 am

5. Now that looks tasty, and easy too! Love the bowties too – I never buy them, but I should.

by JenniferA on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:48 am

6. This makes my mouth water. Genius. Brilliant. I must have some!!

by Amanda on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:48 am

7. This looks like the perfect dinner!

by Jenny Flake on Jan 17, 2011 at 11:06 am

8. Bacon AND gouda?! I would love this dish!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Jan 17, 2011 at 11:10 am

9. I think gouda and bacon were made for each other. This looks like I will be my lunch today!

by Miss on Jan 17, 2011 at 11:29 am

10. Mmmm I want this for breakfast too!

by Katrina on Jan 17, 2011 at 11:53 am

11. Looks delicious!!

by Christina on Jan 17, 2011 at 12:36 pm

12. I’m all about moderation, too! Super strict diets are no fun. πŸ™‚

I’m loving smoked gouda lately, I think I’d use that in this dish!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Jan 17, 2011 at 12:47 pm

13. So making this next week! I’m a sucker for all things gouda!

by Sandy on Jan 17, 2011 at 1:51 pm

14. I haven’t even had breakfast yet and I’m thinking, with the bacon, I could tell the family it’s a breakfast dish…right? YUM!!!

by Danielle on Jan 17, 2011 at 2:05 pm

15. Tracy, I’m definitely making this πŸ™‚ I was just saying to Nate last night that I need to find more recipes for farfalle — I had a dish from The Cheesecake Factory with bacon, farfalle, and a few other things that I want to try to replicate, and this looks delicious! πŸ™‚

by Em on Jan 17, 2011 at 2:25 pm

16. Perfection and simple

by Jennifurla on Jan 17, 2011 at 3:02 pm

17. Oh my! I am seriously salivating over this one. I love gouda! πŸ™‚

by G. on Jan 17, 2011 at 3:22 pm

18. This looks amazing!

by Holli on Jan 17, 2011 at 5:33 pm

19. I’m totally with you on the moderation diet. I would rather eat a small bowl of this than a large salad that makes me feel like I’m dieting.

by DessertForTwo on Jan 17, 2011 at 7:57 pm

20. Oh, wow! I totally want to make this! I love gouda.

by Katie | GoodLife Eats on Jan 17, 2011 at 9:20 pm

21. Farfalle are my absolute favorite pasta ever. Wonder how this would be with added sundried tomato.. mmmmmmmmm!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:08 pm

22. I love that you used Gouda in this one. Great idea and it sounds wonderful

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Jan 18, 2011 at 10:12 am

23. I have a friend having surgery and was looking for something delicious to make and take to her house! We have a winner! I also want to try your orange scone from earlier this month – who doesn’t LOVE scones! Love your website!!!

by Camille on Jan 18, 2011 at 10:23 am

24. This looks AMAZING…pasta, bacon, and cheese….what more could a girl ask for?

I am already SOOOO over all the diet nonsense. Hellooooo…how am I supposed to get over my post holiday depression without yummy fattening foods? Granola won’t cheer me up, that’s for sure.

Happy Tuesday!!

by Cookbook Queen on Jan 18, 2011 at 10:27 am

25. Ooh yum! You can’t go wrong with bacon and cheese with pasta. πŸ™‚

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jan 18, 2011 at 1:57 pm

26. Dang! You are always right on with the perfect cold weather comfort food. πŸ˜‰

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Jan 18, 2011 at 2:57 pm

27. Warm, carby (is that a word?) salty, gooey. I’m IN!

by Wenderly on Jan 18, 2011 at 4:44 pm

28. This looks so amazing!

by Alexis @ There She Goes on Jan 18, 2011 at 8:50 pm

29. Nothing can be bad if it has gouda in it. That looks delicious.

by carolinaheartstrings on Jan 19, 2011 at 10:13 am

30. Oh yay….I’m so glad you are not putting a ban on pasta, cheese and baked goods!;)

This recipe sounds like everything I love all in one dish! Fabulous!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Jan 19, 2011 at 3:18 pm

31. This sounds really delicious. It is like mac and cheese taken up a notch. I agree with you; everything in moderation is the way to go. Though I am trying to eat better since I ate like a pig for the last two months, I will never give up eating all the things I love:)

by Raina on Jan 19, 2011 at 9:21 pm

32. I’ve heard that bacon always makes everything better. I have no doubt that that applies to your dish.

by Lisa on Jan 20, 2011 at 3:38 am

33. YES!!! Love this dish! I am so with you I am a bit tired of all the healthy talk…everywhere. Just eat what you want in moderation and exercise. I love pasta and pasta dishes just like this one…I personally think bacon s/b listed as a superfood – not because of the nutritional value (LOL) but because it’s so darn good and gives the person enjoying it moments of bliss!!!!

by Souffle Bombay on Jan 23, 2011 at 9:45 am

34. I love pasta with bacon – yummmm!

by Kristen on Jan 24, 2011 at 12:33 am

35. Ok. I tried it & LOVED it!!! Fantastic meal with a fresh baby green salad & a nice wide slice of french bread!

by LizB1979 on Jan 27, 2011 at 7:48 pm

36. Um, did somebody say bacon?? This looks amazing!

by Julie on Jan 27, 2011 at 8:26 pm

37. Hmmm – this has comfort and delicious written all over it! I love it.

by Eliana on Jan 30, 2011 at 11:43 pm

38. first time here and I just wanted to stop by and say hi all.

by Sarah S on Feb 15, 2011 at 8:20 pm

39. Just wanted to let you know that I made your recipe (with a few changes) and blogged about it here:
    Thanks again for such an awesome, quick weeknight meal!! I’ve been searching for the perfect stovetop mac and cheese recipe for a long time, and I’m happy to say that this is it.

by Jenna on Apr 12, 2011 at 12:09 pm

40. It was the most delicious recipe I ever had my grandson who’s ten wants to eat it every night fast simple easy loved it my oldest son said its the best comfort food he ever had thanks

by Love this recipe it was so good my grandson wants it every night on Aug 26, 2014 at 10:02 pm