Orange Scones

Orange Scones - 6

From cranberry scones to savory bacon-swiss scones to the scone that started it all: the vanilla bean scone (hubby’s personal favorite), I just can’t help coming up with new versions of this recipe. This time I went with orange; I’ve made orange scones in the past, but I used a different recipe that isn’t nearly as good as this one. I just loved the burst of citrus flavor in these; it was like a ray of sunshine in the middle of all this cold and dreary weather. Whether you’re looking for a new breakfast idea for the weekend or are stuck at home buried in all the snow, make these scones to help chase away the winter blues!

For the topping:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut the butter into tablespoon-sized pieces and incorporate it into the dry ingredients.

Orange Scones - 1

In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, half and half, orange juice, and orange zest.

Orange Scones - 2

Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.

Orange Scones - 3

Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and knead to combine. Separate the dough into halves. Shape each half of the dough into a circle and then cut each half into four wedges. Pull the wedges apart just a bit and then brush with orange juice. Sprinkle with the granulated sugar.

Orange Scones - 4

Place the pan of scones in the freezer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes. Then, remove the scones from the freezer and put them right in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. When the scones are done, remove them to a wire rack to cool.

Orange Scones - 5

Posted by on January 14, 2011.

Categories: breakfast & brunch

1. Oh my gosh… Panera’s orange scones are one of my favorite things. I bet I would love these!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Jan 14, 2011 at 10:11 am

2. I’m a scone freak now, too! I love the idea of orange scones, and how fitting that I am buying orange extract today for something else?!

by Liz @ BLog is the New Black on Jan 14, 2011 at 10:11 am

3. I am loving all things citrus right now. I can’t wait to make your scones!

by Maria on Jan 14, 2011 at 10:16 am

4. Oh, these would really hit the spot right now with this cup of ginger peach green tea I am drinking!

by JenniferA on Jan 14, 2011 at 10:31 am

5. Oh, those look delicious! You are making me want to do some breakfast baking!!

by Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow on Jan 14, 2011 at 10:45 am

6. Hey have you had the chance to use your scone pan? I was wondering if it would work for you :)

by Sandy on Jan 14, 2011 at 1:34 pm

7. I’ve been on a scone kick as well and am eager to try new versions, especially when the base recipe is a good one like yours. Your orange version sounds so zesty and I love citrus flavors. I’ll have to check out your other scones too.

by Lisa on Jan 14, 2011 at 1:36 pm

8. I think I am going to make these for breakfast tomorrow.

Putting the dough in the freezer is a trick I really need to try. It seems like the key to beautiful scones!

by Marie Baars on Jan 14, 2011 at 3:58 pm

9. Sandy – I haven’t gotten to use the scone pan yet; I made these scones before Christmas. But I’m excited to try it out! :-)

by Tracy on Jan 14, 2011 at 5:48 pm

10. i do love me a great scone – orange is screaming my name!!

by SMITH BITES on Jan 14, 2011 at 7:40 pm

11. Beautiful picks and what a neat recipe!!

by Amanda on Jan 14, 2011 at 7:43 pm

12. Tracy, these look really really good! I never thought to mix orange juice into scones. Innovative.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Jan 14, 2011 at 7:45 pm

13. I’m okay with all versions, keep it coming! I love scones!

by naomi on Jan 14, 2011 at 7:46 pm

14. Yum. Yum. Yum. I am in love with scones of all flavors. And, just made some orange oatmeal scones. Yours are absolutely lovely!

by Nancy @SensitivePantry on Jan 14, 2011 at 8:33 pm

15. Yum! These orange scones look wonderful. I really need to get back to baking soon!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jan 14, 2011 at 9:39 pm

16. You’ve sold me on scones tomorrow! One of our favorite add-ins is chopped candied ginger and lemon zest. So decadent!

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Jan 15, 2011 at 12:07 am

17. These look DELICIOUS, Tracy!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Jan 15, 2011 at 10:30 am

18. Mmmm, if I could only order a dozen right now! Looks fabulous!

by Jenny Flake on Jan 15, 2011 at 10:43 am

19. These scones look so perfect!

by Katrina on Jan 15, 2011 at 10:48 am

20. I just adore all types of scones but orange is my favorite! This looks beautiful, Tracy. I bet your your home was filled with heavenly citrus and butter aroma!

by Kay @ The Church Cook on Jan 15, 2011 at 10:56 am

21. I made and canned Manderin Orange Jam and Meyer Lemon Curd last week. They have been sitting in the pantry screaming at me to make them some scones. These will be perfect! Thank you, thank you! I’m headed to the kitchen right now!

by Margaret on Jan 15, 2011 at 12:55 pm

22. Love these! I love scones and your orange version looks fantastic

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Jan 15, 2011 at 12:59 pm

23. I love taking a base recipe and experimenting with different flavors! I think orange flavored scones are just classic though =)

by Joanne @ FifteenSpatulas.com on Jan 16, 2011 at 2:43 pm

24. These look super refreshing! Perfect with a hot cup of coffee or tea.

by Maris (In Good Taste) on Jan 16, 2011 at 2:48 pm

25. Scones make me weak in the knees…in fact, I’m mildly obsessed with them. These look and sound delicious!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Jan 16, 2011 at 4:26 pm

26. Oh how I love scones. I think I might just have to make these this week. They look delicious!

by Robyn | Add a Pinch on Jan 16, 2011 at 4:48 pm

27. I love scones and these look so good right now. I try to make a different flavor combo every time and I can’t wait to try these.

by Miss on Jan 16, 2011 at 6:03 pm

28. OOPS! That was supposed to be a link to All Recipies facebook page, not mine! How can I remove that?

by Margaret on Jan 16, 2011 at 6:25 pm

29. Margaret – I deleted your comment, so you can re-post with the correct link if you like. I’m glad you enjoyed the scones!

by Tracy on Jan 16, 2011 at 8:44 pm

30. I love scones, but can you believe I have never made them? Yours would be perfect with my morning tea:)

by Raina on Jan 16, 2011 at 9:50 pm

31. What a wonderful way to bring a little sunshine into the kitchen on a gray winter’s day!

by Cookin' Canuck on Jan 18, 2011 at 12:37 am

32. I can just taste (and smell) the fresh, vibrant citrus right now! YUM!

by Wenderly on Jan 18, 2011 at 3:47 pm

33. Would you believe I’ve never made scones? I always want to but it is never the first thing that comes to mind when I’m baking. These look so good!

by Kristen on Jan 24, 2011 at 12:03 am

34. I made your cranberry scones and I’m now a HUGE fan of scones! I need to make these orange ones next. Yum!

by Karen @ Oldfangled on Jan 26, 2011 at 10:43 am

35. Today was my first attempt at making scones and they turned out great. Love the orange flavor…..like a little bit of sunshine on a cold/gloomy day.

by Joni on Feb 5, 2011 at 8:20 pm

36. Found these on stumbleupon! I will definitely be making them!!!!!!!!!!!!

by SweetSugarBelle on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:53 pm

37. I just blogged about these scones and they are incredible!! They have to be one of my favorites! Thank you so much for the recipe! :)

by Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen on Apr 9, 2011 at 12:03 pm

38. SOON.
    Very, SOON.

by Laura on Apr 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm

39. Very good. Made them today

by Jose on Feb 11, 2012 at 1:39 pm

40. Wow! Just made these, and they are AMAZING! I replaced half the flour with whole wheat flour and I LOVE them! Thank you for an amazing recipe! yum yum

by Corianne on Mar 5, 2012 at 11:39 am

41. Just made these for afternoon tea with myneighbor….pictures don’t do them jusice,,,,outstanding

by marilyn f on Jun 7, 2012 at 6:33 pm

42. Tracy, these are so perfect. I’ve never made scones, and since you made it look so easy (it is), and had great photos, I am happy to report I have just made my first batch, thank you!!!

by john on Sep 29, 2012 at 12:31 pm