Beef Stew

Beef Stew - 7

After being sick for the last couple of weeks, I think I’ve now come down with a case of the winter blues. It didn’t help much that just last week, all the snow had melted away, leaving us with a green lawn…so instead of thinking about stocking up on pantry staples and hibernating, my mind was already drifting toward spring. Considering spring in upstate NY doesn’t REALLY start until about May, it’s way to early to start thinking about that! Fortunately, this beef stew really helps me get back into winter mode, with all of its comfort food in the form of soups, chilies, stews, and other hot meals. This is our very favorite beef stew, refined from many a winter – and summer, since I just about always make this in our heavy-duty Lodge dutch oven when we go camping. It’s the perfect meal for a chilly night!

First, prepare the vegetables and the meat. Chop the vegetables into large chunks (including the potatoes so that they’ll cook faster). Cut the beef into 1″ cubes (roughly, it doesn’t have to be perfect), and slice the bacon into 1″ strips.

Beef Stew - 1

Beef Stew - 2

In a large stockpot, bring salted water to a boil. Add in the potatoes, and then cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Once drained, mash the potatoes with the milk. I like to whip them with my hand mixer too, so that they’re nice and smooth.

Beef Stew - 5

Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a dutch oven. Cook the meat and bacon until browned, but not cooked through. Drain.

Beef Stew - 3

Pour in the beef broth, dressing, BBQ sauce, oregano, and parsley. Toss in the carrots and onions, and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.

Beef Stew - 4

With a slotted spoon, remove the meat and vegetables and place them in a medium bowl; cover them with foil to keep warm. Then, add the flour to the beef broth mixture, stirring frequently to avoid large lumps (it’ll still have some lumps, and that’s okay). Cook until the sauce thickens, and then add the meat and vegetables back in.

Beef Stew - 6

Pour the stew over the mashed potatoes and serve hot.

Beef Stew - 8

Posted by on January 12, 2011.

Tags:

Categories: dinner

1. Perfect meal for a cold and snowy day!

by Maria on Jan 12, 2011 at 9:58 am

2. Tracy, this looks so yummy! I’ve never added sour cream, italian dressing OR sour cream to stew. It sounds like a great idea. I do, however, add coffee to my stew 🙂

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:07 am

3. LOVE a good beef stew! Perfect comfort food!

by Jenny Flake on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:14 am

4. YUM!!

My husband LOVE stew, I am not a particular fan (it’s okay–just not my favorite) but I could definitely do this!! I am all about anything served over mashed potatoes.

Btw, we are totally meant to be friends because I also add sour cream to my mashed potatoes and whip them…it’s how my great grandmother made them and I always looked forward to eating at her house because of it.

by Cookbook Queen on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:16 am

5. YUMMM! And there’s bacon? never thought to do bacon in beef stew. and I love the idea of the stew over mashed potatoes instead of potatoes in the stew..
    ok, could i say stew anymore times?!?!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:20 am

6. It’s 18 degrees here so this looks like the perfect dinner idea

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:20 am

7. Mmmm bacon, never thought to add bacon. Thanks! Your looks delicious.

by Cassandra on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:38 am

8. Beef stew is popping up everywhere and I regret not getting the ingredients for it before this storm!

by Blog is the New Black on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:49 am

9. I have never seen a ‘white’ beef stew! How interesting! I love the addition of sour cream. This is perfect for the cold weather–thanks for sharing a twist on the classic 🙂

P.S. Your photo is gorgeous–I can imagine that was hard to make look pretty.

by DessertForTwo on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:58 am

10. Love the addition of BBQ sauce – I bet it adds a nice punch of unexpected flavor!

by Susan on Jan 12, 2011 at 11:11 am

11. I actually LOVE our tricky ‘thaws’ throughout the winter. Though, you have to laugh when 35 degrees and the sun shining is a BEAUTIFUL day! 🙂

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Jan 12, 2011 at 11:37 am

12. Incredible! This looks like some serious comfort food.

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Jan 12, 2011 at 12:26 pm

13. Tracy! That DOES look like serious comfort food. It’s funny, I was just thinking about beef stew yesterday. And serving over mashed potatoes? that’s genius, my friend!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Jan 12, 2011 at 12:43 pm

14. I would love to snuggle into a blanket on the couch, with a big bowl of this stew cupped in my hands. Yum!

by Cookin' Canuck on Jan 12, 2011 at 1:45 pm

15. This looks perfectly warm and hearty! Yum 🙂

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jan 12, 2011 at 4:19 pm

16. Nothing better than a piping hot bowl of Beef Stew to cure the winter blues!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Jan 12, 2011 at 5:53 pm

17. mmm beef stew is so hearty when it’s cold out!

by Alexis @ There She Goes on Jan 12, 2011 at 8:09 pm

18. This looks so wholesome and yummy, I adore this recipe!

by Katrina on Jan 12, 2011 at 8:24 pm

19. Love the nuances on this recipe! Beef stew is one of my family’s favorite stews during the winter.

by Robyn | Add a Pinch on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:45 pm

20. This looks so deliciously comforting!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:55 pm

21. I am always on the look out for a great way to use up the seemingly endless packages of stew beef in my freezer! This looks yummy and definitely like comfort food.

by Marie Baars on Jan 13, 2011 at 2:21 am

22. you can never go wrong with a good beef stew!

by SMITH BITES on Jan 13, 2011 at 11:02 am

23. I’ve never made beef stew- this looks like a good recipe to try!

PS- I finally got my header updated. Thanks for allowing yours to be my inspiration!

by Lizzy on Jan 13, 2011 at 11:36 am

24. Oh gosh, that looks just like a bowl of heaven, especially with the cold temps outside. Need to make a pot of that myself!

by Louanne on Jan 13, 2011 at 12:48 pm

25. I love meals like this for cold days-just darn good comfort food!

by naomi on Jan 13, 2011 at 2:22 pm

26. Your beef stew looks delicious. Unfortunately, spring is a long way off!

by Beth on Jan 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm

27. I absolutely adore beef stew in the fall and winter! Yours look delicious.

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:00 pm

28. HeySugar Crafter!!!!

I just want to say that i love your blog and I have published it on my blog in my blog roll.

I don’t know if I have to get any sort of consent for this? Is it okay if I put it on?
    xx