Fig Crumble Bars

Fig Crumble Bars - 7

This year, I discovered that I really enjoy figs. My only prior experience with them has been in fig newtons, which I decidedly do NOT enjoy. Unfortunately, somehow I managed to miss fresh fig season this year, so I wasn’t able to make any fresh fig jam (it’s on my list for next year, though!), nor was I able to stock my freezer with any for the winter. However, that doesn’t stop me from finding fun things to do with dried figs, so when I came across a big bag of dried Mission figs at the grocery store, I tossed it into the cart with plans to bake up something delicious. These fig crumble bars are pretty similar to my blueberry crumble bars, and since those are always a hit, I figured that I really couldn’t go wrong. Give them a try and let me know what you think!

For the dough:

For the filling:

To make the dough, cream together the butter and brown sugar, and vanilla.

Fig Crumble Bars - 2

Add in the egg. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, and salt. Beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture until crumbly.

Fig Crumble Bars - 3

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Press 2/3 of the dough into a greased 9×9″ baking dish. Bake about 20 minutes or until the crust is beginning to set. Remove from the oven and increase the temperature to 350 degrees.

Fig Crumble Bars - 5

To make the filling, stir together all of the filling ingredients in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Cook until the figs soften and the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from the heat and then mash the mixture with a potato masher to remove any large lumps.

Fig Crumble Bars - 4

Spread the filling over the hot crust, and then sprinkle with the other 1/3 of the dough. Bake 20-25 minutes or until the crumble topping begins to brown.

Fig Crumble Bars - 6

Cool completely before cutting into squares.

Fig Crumble Bars - 8

Posted by on January 7, 2011.

Tags:

1. Ooooh…these look delish! I LOVE figs…can’t wait to try ’em!

by Jennifer @ Jane Deere on Jan 7, 2011 at 11:25 am

2. Mmmm, love everything about this recipe!

by Jenny Flake on Jan 7, 2011 at 11:35 am

3. For some reason, I never make anything with figs. These bars look too good to resist. It’s time to break out the figs!

by Cookin' Canuck on Jan 7, 2011 at 11:36 am

4. I love bar treats and these look fantastic!

by Maria on Jan 7, 2011 at 11:49 am

5. I love figs too…These look incredible!

by nancy@skinnykitchen.com on Jan 7, 2011 at 12:31 pm

6. I have some dried figs collecting dust… 😉

by Liz @ BLog is the New Black on Jan 7, 2011 at 12:56 pm

7. These look so yummy – like the way a fig newton SHOULD be! Although, I actually do love fig newtons – just wish they were a bit more figgy.

by Liz @ LBBakes on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:40 pm

8. Mmm, I love a good crumble bar but have never baked with fig before. These look marvelous! Thanks for sharing.

by Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on Jan 7, 2011 at 9:22 pm

9. Crumble bars are the best! I think I have about three different recipes on my blog. I have not tried this fig crumble bar before…it looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing…I can’t wait to try them! 🙂

by Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen on Jan 8, 2011 at 12:22 am

10. Oh, I do love a good crumble bar, it’s got all the goodness of pie but less messy and more portable! I actually have some fig jam that I made a while ago still in the fridge, I might try to make these bars and use that for the filling.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Jan 8, 2011 at 7:23 am

11. I love figs!! This looks awesome. Any type of crumble bar is my friend… seriously.

by Katrina on Jan 8, 2011 at 10:35 am

12. I love figs. I can’t wait to try these!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Jan 8, 2011 at 12:06 pm

13. These look amazing. 12x better than fig newtons 😉

by Maris (In Good Taste) on Jan 8, 2011 at 4:20 pm

14. I absolutely adore figs and I especially love to bake with them. These fig crumble bars look sooo delicious, I would have a hard time not eating the whole pan of them. Desserts with crumble toppings are my favorite! 🙂

by Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels on Jan 10, 2011 at 4:13 am

15. I love figs too…. not seen anything done with them like this. They look very appealing!

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Jan 10, 2011 at 1:42 pm

16. I looooove figs, and these bars look fantastic!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Jan 11, 2011 at 12:47 am