Indian Butter Chicken with Basmati Rice

Indian Butter Chicken with Basmati Rice - 6

For Christmas this year I received several cookbooks, one of which is all about Indian cuisine. While hubby and I both love Indian food, the problem is that I only know how to make three dishes – naan, chana masala, and this Indian butter chicken I found on Tasty Kitchen and adapted to suite our tastes. Though we love each of them, we tend to get in a “food rut” after eating them over and over again, and then we don’t want to see them again for quite some time. I’m very much looking forward to cooking from the new book and trying out new dishes. In the meantime, here is the recipe for the butter chicken…once the chicken has marinated overnight, the cooking process the next day goes pretty quickly. I think I had it on the table in about 40 minutes – not bad for a weeknight dinner!

For the marinade:

For the rice:

For the rest:

The night before you’re ready to make the butter chicken, combine the marinade ingredients with the chicken breast tenderloins in a large freezer bag. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator.

When ready to cook, sauté the onion in the butter until tender.

Indian Butter Chicken with Basmati Rice - 1

Add in the marinated chicken and cook for 5 minutes on each side.

Indian Butter Chicken with Basmati Rice - 2

Add in the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. In the meantime, heat a pot of water to boiling for the rice. Cook the rice according to package directions, adding in the tumeric and garlic powders when the rice is added to the water.

Indian Butter Chicken with Basmati Rice - 4

Pour the cream and cilantro into the chicken-tomato mixture and stir well.

Indian Butter Chicken with Basmati Rice - 5

Serve over the rice.

Indian Butter Chicken with Basmati Rice - 6

Posted by on January 5, 2011.

Tags: , ,

Categories: dinner

1. Mmmm, I love Indian food. I’m really excited that we’re getting an Indian restaurant in our town, so we won’t have to drive an hour to get Indian. Hubby makes a fabulous chicken coconut curry, and sometimes we’ll just cook up some veggies and ground beef and season with curry, ginger, garlic, and turmeric — and if we have a can of coconut milk in the cupboard, that goes in, too. I might have to try this butter chicken sometime soon!

by Karen @ Oldfangled on Jan 5, 2011 at 2:18 pm

2. Ooh, this is perfect! My boyfriend LOVES Indian, and I really don’t like it, but this recipe looks like something I might enjoy. I think I’ll surprise him with some homemade Indian food tomorrow night!

by Elizabeth on Jan 5, 2011 at 2:30 pm

3. This looks amazing – bookmarking! We really like Indian food, too. The hub’s favorite is chicken curry with naan, so that’s what I make most often.

by Louanne on Jan 5, 2011 at 2:50 pm

4. Wish I could place an order right now for lunch 🙂 Gorgeous!

by Jenny Flake on Jan 5, 2011 at 2:58 pm

5. It looks delicious! And I’ve actually been looking for an Indian chicken recipe (my dad loves Indian food). I’m going to have to make this!

by Anna on Jan 5, 2011 at 3:15 pm

6. I have been wanting to try a butter chicken. It sounds so good!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Jan 5, 2011 at 5:27 pm

7. This looks sooooo good! My boyfriend would devour this!

by Katrina on Jan 5, 2011 at 6:47 pm

8. Great meal for a cold night!

by Maria on Jan 5, 2011 at 7:52 pm

9. Oh yeah! I am loving this Indian dish. This is my second favorite after chicken tikka masala. This looks incredible! 🙂

by Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen on Jan 6, 2011 at 12:10 am

10. We LOVE Indian food. Did you know curry is the national dish of the UK? The curry houses on Brick Lane in London are famous, and for good reason. I had never had Indian until I met James, and now we eat it at least once a week. Butter Chicken is very similar to Chicken Korma. Korma is made with coconut milk, coconut, almonds, tomato paste, and garlic. Next time you’re feeling adventurous, see if you can find it on your local Indian’s menu, or ask them to make it for you. I started out with a Korma, and progressed to a Tikka Masala – which isn’t actually Indian at all, it was invented in England. Though various parts of England claim the distinction, no one really knows WHERE in England it was invented!

This is a great recipe, Tracy. I’ll make it next week on our curry night instead of going for the old standby.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Jan 6, 2011 at 11:39 am

11. This looks yummy. I love Indian food and can’t wait to give your recipe a try!

by naomi on Jan 6, 2011 at 1:31 pm

12. yeah…so I’m thinking we need an indian night take 2! 🙂

by Jenn P on Jan 6, 2011 at 1:50 pm

13. Looks great! I need and want to learn more about Indian cuisine for sure!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Jan 6, 2011 at 3:33 pm

14. I’ve bookmarked this recipe. It looks delicious and easy — what more could I ask for?

by Beth on Jan 6, 2011 at 5:54 pm

15. I adore butter chicken and your post is making me salivate. Enjoy experimenting with your new cookbook.

by Cookin' Canuck on Jan 7, 2011 at 11:34 am

16. Oh wow! That chicken looks completely amazing. I have only had limited experience with Indian food…this looks like a great way start.

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:16 pm

17. I made this and it was CRAZY good! Unbelievably so!

by Sherry Greek on Feb 5, 2011 at 7:34 pm

18. Just made this for my family tonight. They loved it! Thanks for the wonderful recipe 😀

by Sarah on Dec 21, 2011 at 8:39 pm