Breakfast Sandwich Biscuits

Breakfast Sandwich Biscuits - 9

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas! I savored every moment spent with my family, although the time went by too quickly. Santa was also very good to me this year – I am definitely feeling blessed. However, I also managed to catch a nasty virus, so I’ve been lying around the house the past several days trying to rest as much as possible. Needless to say, I haven’t had much of an appetite…but my favorite sick-day standbys, good old chicken soup and ginger ale, have kept me going. These breakfast sandwiches are also great for when you’re under the weather – they’re the perfect way to get in some protein and carbs to start off the day. I found the dough recipe on The Kitchn, and I like it because it’s an interesting cross between a biscuit and a roll – but also because these biscuit-rolls are fairly quick to make for a recipe that involves yeast. These make a perfectly hearty breakfast with egg, cheese, and bacon, but if you don’t want to make breakfast sandwiches out of all of them, just slather them with some butter or jam – I’m sure Paula would approve!

Adapted from Paula Deen’s Kitchen Classics by Paula Deen.

In a small bowl or measuring cup, sprinkle the yeast over the cup of warm water.

Breakfast Sandwich Biscuits - 2

In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening, sugar, and salt.

Breakfast Sandwich Biscuits - 1

Add in the boiling water. Add the egg to the yeast mixture and stir to combine. Add the yeast mixture to the shortening mixture, and then quickly stir in the flour until well-combined. Let sit for 30 minutes. At this point you can refrigerate the mixture until needed, up to 12 hours.

Breakfast Sandwich Biscuits - 3

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Turn out the dough on to a lightly floured surface and form the dough into a square. Divide the dough in half twice, and then cut each square into pieces.

Breakfast Sandwich Biscuits - 4

Place the biscuits on ungreased baking sheets and bake 12-15 minutes.

Breakfast Sandwich Biscuits - 5

Brush with butter.

Breakfast Sandwich Biscuits - 6

Cut each biscuit in half and top with bacon or sausage, egg, and cheese.

Breakfast Sandwich Biscuits - 7

Breakfast Sandwich Biscuits - 8

Makes about 16 biscuits. Serve warm!

Breakfast Sandwich Biscuits - 9

Posted by on December 29, 2010.

Categories: breads & pastries, breakfast & brunch

1. SO glad I saw this, now I am going to make myself one! Be blessed!

by Amanda on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:06 am

2. Mmmm these is nothing like a breakfast sandwich!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:12 am

3. Seems like everyone caught a bug this Christmas, hope you’re feeling better! As for this breakfast sandwich; I think I need to make these for the hubs and I. 🙂

by Courtney on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:13 am

4. Hope you are feeling better ! I can’t wait to make these!!

by Camille on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:15 am

5. These look fantastic!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:27 am

6. Awww, man. I woke up late this morning and didn’t have time for a real breakfast. This would really hit the spot right now.

by JenniferA on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:36 am

7. I love this biscuit recipe – might even try it this morning!

by RJ Flamingo on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:45 am

8. Yum. I LOVE breakfast sandwiches. I’d definitely substitute your American cheese with some lovely sharp Cheddar, though, or a slice of melty Swiss.

by Karen @ Oldfangled on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:54 am

9. Mmmmm…Love breakfast sandwiches! Too bad I just ate breakfast…I will be making this soon! 🙂

by Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen on Dec 29, 2010 at 11:15 am

10. Oh My Goodness! I would love one of those right about…NOW!!!

by Renee (Kudos Kitchen) on Dec 29, 2010 at 11:17 am

11. Mmm, those biscuits look delicious. I love breakfast sandwiches. I hope you’re feeling better soon – so many people are sick right now!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Dec 29, 2010 at 11:40 am

12. One of the best breakfasts this time of the year is whatever comes out of your oven in the morning. Lovely biscuits.

by Ben on Dec 29, 2010 at 11:45 am

13. Tracy, these biscuits might be Step 2 in my adventures to conquer my fear of yeast.

by Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon on Dec 29, 2010 at 1:31 pm

14. These look perfect!

by Katrina on Dec 29, 2010 at 3:28 pm

15. My hubs loves making breakfast sandwiches. Glad you had a nice Christmas and glad you are feeling better!

by Maria on Dec 29, 2010 at 4:56 pm

16. What a great blog! Can’t wait to try some of your recipes!

by The Newlywed Chefs on Dec 29, 2010 at 5:57 pm

17. We make a cheater version of these sometimes with english muffins and cooking two beaten eggs in a coffee mug in the microwave 😉 Yours look so much classier and more hearty though!

by Heather on Dec 29, 2010 at 9:42 pm

18. I’m so intrigued by your biscuit-rolls! They look absolutely beautiful–the texture looks top-notch!– and I’m sure they’re amazing. I’m a big lover of the breakfast sandwich, and I know Paula wouldn’t mind slathering a little butter on those babies. 😉

by Amy @ Serve At Once on Dec 29, 2010 at 9:49 pm

19. Love these fun breakfast sandwiches, I bet they are to die for!!

by Jenny Flake on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:13 pm

20. LOVE the biscuits – going to have to try them since I get tired of waiting for most yeast recipes to rise. Plus anything with bacon sound wonderful 😀

by Sandy on Dec 30, 2010 at 3:18 pm

21. What a great way to start the morning. Hope you get feeling better soon. Have a wonderful New Year!

by Barbara Bakes on Dec 31, 2010 at 10:30 am

22. Much better than McDonalds

by Ingrid on Jan 3, 2011 at 8:19 pm

23. Lovely! My hubby will love these!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jan 5, 2011 at 5:26 pm

24. Made these tonight for dinner, they were pretty darn tasty! I rolled out my biscuit dough a little too thin, but as I was still able to cut them apart, I really didn’t mind. How thick would you guess you roll out your dough before cutting the biscuits out? I’d love to have the nice fluffy guys you have in your pictures the next time I make them! Thanks!

by Rachael on Feb 7, 2011 at 10:36 pm

25. Rachael – Glad you enjoyed them! I think my dough was probably about an inch to an inch and a half thick when I rolled it out. Good luck! 🙂

by Tracy on Feb 8, 2011 at 12:07 pm

26. and if you wna make this fast try an english muffin, and also try buttering the biscuit or english muffin in helps with texture and keeping the inside soft.

by Staci on Sep 19, 2011 at 12:37 am