Red Velvet Cheesecake

Red Velvet Cheesecake - 7

We’re down to the final hours, with less than 48 hours to go until Christmas is here! Are you ready? We have almost everything done, with the exception of a few gifts that will need wrapping once they arrive in the mail today. My desserts are all finished, except for the chocolate crinkle cookies – I decided it would be more fun to gather together all of the ingredients needed to make them so that I can make them with my sister tomorrow. I can’t wait! I’ll also be bringing this red velvet cheesecake. I changed up my original cheesecake recipe because I thought it would make for a wonderfully festive Christmas dessert. I don’t think anyone will mind that I cut out a piece to take a picture – my family is pretty familiar by now with the life of a food blogger, haha. I hope you all have a very merry Christmas, and that you enjoy every moment of your time spent with family!

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Grind the cookies in a food processor until you have 2 cups worth of crumbs (I used about two “rows” of Oreos). Stir in the melted butter so that all of the crumbs are moist. Press the crust into the bottom and up the sides of a 9″ springform pan. Stick the pan in the freezer while you make the cheesecake batter.

Red Velvet Cheesecake - 1

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in the sugar, sour cream, and vanilla, and then add in the eggs one at a time.

Red Velvet Cheesecake - 2

Beat in the melted chocolate and food coloring until well-blended.

Red Velvet Cheesecake - 3

Pour the batter into the crust.

Red Velvet Cheesecake - 4

Bake for 15 minutes, then lower the temperature to 200 degrees. Continue baking until the edges of the cheesecake are set but the center still wiggles when the pan is shaken, about 1 hour (it could take longer, so make sure you keep an eye on it).

Red Velvet Cheesecake - 5

Cool the cheesecake on a rack at room temperature before refrigerating.

Red Velvet Cheesecake - 6

Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.

Red Velvet Cheesecake - 7

Posted by on December 23, 2010.

Tags:

1. Great idea for a cheesecake! This looks really delicious and festive. 🙂

by sara on Dec 23, 2010 at 1:22 pm

2. Hi Tracy,
    I loved this cheesecake, so colorful (right in the mood for Christmas time!), and also that you used oreos, as they are one of my favourite cookies! thanks for sharing this recipe. Merry Christmas 🙂

by Barida on Dec 23, 2010 at 1:29 pm

3. Nothing less than spectacular, Happy Holidays!

by Jennifurla on Dec 23, 2010 at 2:22 pm

4. Oh my word. I LOVE red velvet cake but in cheesecake form?! Now that is amazing. Not only does it look sooo good but the cheesecake is gorgeous!! How I would love to eat the whole thing! 🙂

by Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels on Dec 23, 2010 at 3:38 pm

5. Tracy, what a BEAUTIFUL cheesecake! I’ve never had a Red Velvet cheesecake, but it would be a great way to change up my usual routine. I know your guests are going to love it!

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

by Amy @ Serve At Once on Dec 23, 2010 at 4:30 pm

6. AHHHH! I love red velvet cheesecake!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Dec 23, 2010 at 6:50 pm

7. Wow Tracy, that is truly gorgeous! I’m stunned! I’d never even thought of a red velvet cheesecake, it looks truly amazing!! Yes, I’m gushing, but I love the color 🙂

by Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on Dec 24, 2010 at 3:09 pm

8. I like the term red velvet cheesecake! It’s so pretty and so festive! Merry Christmas to you!

by faithy on Dec 25, 2010 at 5:56 am

9. I love Red Velvet Cake and this cheesecake sounds absolutely divine – and perfect for the holidays too! Thanks for sharing this recipe! Happy Holidays and may your CHristmas be full of good company, lots of laughs, and too much sugar!

by Laura on Dec 25, 2010 at 9:37 am

10. Oh my! I have never seen a red velvet cheesecake. What a great idea. Going to save this recipe. Hope you had a great holiday!

by Delishhh on Dec 27, 2010 at 2:39 am

11. very pretty!

by Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} on Dec 27, 2010 at 2:55 am

12. What a lovely cheesecake. So very festrive looking.

🙂
    ButterYum

by ButterYum on Dec 27, 2010 at 1:08 pm

13. Great idea! Looks yummy. Great step by step instructions. Have to try this!

by BakingDecorations on Dec 28, 2010 at 11:24 am

14. Such a pretty cheesecake – perfect for the holidays! I’m going to have to start cutting a piece for pictures!

by Barbara Bakes on Dec 28, 2010 at 11:57 pm

15. Great idea! I really want to try!

by Cupcake Activist on Jan 3, 2011 at 1:59 pm

16. Great for Christmas time and looks super yummy!

by Ingrid on Jan 3, 2011 at 8:18 pm

17. What a fabulous idea!!!! I love it!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Jan 3, 2011 at 10:35 pm

18. hmmm – this looks so delicious and like it could become a new favorite of mine!

by Eliana on Jan 5, 2011 at 11:52 am

19. I think you just ruined any diet plans your readers had. *shakes fist* darn you! (Okay, so I never really had any, I know better ^_^)

by Misa on Jan 5, 2011 at 4:08 pm

20. Quick question – If I wanted to make this in a pre-prepared chocolate crust from the store how much less filling do you think I would I need? I’m guessing about half, but I wanted to check. Thanks!

by Lauren on Dec 27, 2011 at 8:53 pm

21. Lauren – Yes, I would halve the recipe for a store-bought crust. Happy baking!

by Tracy on Dec 31, 2011 at 5:42 pm

22. Thanks Tracy! I’m going to make this for my birthday cake!

by Lauren on Jan 4, 2012 at 12:18 am

23. So I made this in a store-bought crust for my birthday and it was DELICIOUS! I needed much less than half of the batter for anyone who’s interested, though. Thanks for the great recipe!

by Lauren on Jan 10, 2012 at 12:49 am