Stollen

Stollen - 12

Along with spritz cookies, the other treat that was on my list of things to bake last year but that I just didn’t have time for was stollen. I’ve always wanted to try this traditional German Christmas bread, but because it’s often made with nuts, I’ve always had to avoid it. Because I’ve never actually tasted it before and I wanted to make my first loaf from a tried-and-true recipe, I decided to adapt my bread slightly from Peter Reinhart’s recipe in The Bread Baker’s Apprentice, since he certainly knows a thing or two about bread. Even though it takes some time to make (though none of the steps are particularly difficult), I made sure to make the time for it this year, and I couldn’t have been happier with the result. I gave my second loaf to a good friend of mine who lived abroad in Germany during part of her childhood, and she was absolutely thrilled. I hope you give this special treat a try this year – but if you don’t have time, you can always make stollen cookies! Hope you all have a wonderful week!

Recipe adapted from The Bread Baker’s Apprentice by Peter Reinhart.

For the sponge:

For the dough:

To make the sponge, warm the milk to about 100 degrees and then whisk in the flour and yeast. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for an hour or until the sponge is very foamy.

Stollen - 1

Stollen - 5

Combine the 2 cups of fruit with the liquor and orange or lemon extract, and set aside.

Stollen - 3

To make the dough, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon.

Stollen - 4

Stir in the egg, butter, sponge, and enough water to form a soft but not sticky ball (this should take about 2 minutes). Once the dough comes together, cover the bowl and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.

Stollen - 6

Knead the fruit into the dough, and then transfer the dough to a floured surface. Continue kneading for approximately 6 minutes (4 if using a stand mixer) or until the dough feels soft (not sticky).

Stollen - 7

Spray a bowl with cooking spray and then transfer the dough to the bowl. Roll to coat and then cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise for 45 minutes – it should rise some, but it shouldn’t double in size.

Stollen - 8

When ready, move the dough back to the floured surface. If you are making 2 loaves, divide it in half, and then form each loaf into a bâtard. To do this, roll each piece of dough into a rectangle. Fold the bottom third of the dough letter style up to the center, and press to seal. Fold the remaining dough over the top and seal the seam.

Stollen - 9

Once shaped, move to a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spray the loaves with cooking spray and then cover with plastic wrap. Let rise about an hour or until the dough is 1 1/2 times the original size. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Stollen - 10

Bake the loaves for 20 minutes. Rotate the pan 180 degrees, and then continue to bake 20-50 minutes longer, depending on the sizes of the loaves. The temperature should register 190 degrees in the center of the loaves when finished. After you remove them from the oven, brush the loaves with vegetable oil while they are still hot, and then sprinkle a layer of powdered sugar over the top. Wait one minute, and then sprinkle on another layer.

Stollen - 11

Let cool before serving.

Stollen - 13

Posted by on December 20, 2010.

Tags:

Categories: breads & pastries

1. Wow, that is beautiful!! The slices look so nicely swirled with the filling.

by JenniferA on Dec 20, 2010 at 10:56 am

2. Beautiful! Great job!

by Amanda on Dec 20, 2010 at 10:56 am

3. Mmmmm! So yummy!

by Jenny Flake on Dec 20, 2010 at 11:38 am

4. Your Stollen looks wonderful. I baked Quarkstollenkonfekt this year. It is almost gone.

by My Kitchen in the Rockies on Dec 20, 2010 at 12:07 pm

5. This looks really tasty and very tradtionial!!

Try melted butter next time, instead of vegetable oil, because it helps enhancing the flavours. Combined with sugar it makes a really yummy topping.

Greetings from Germany,
    Dana

by Dana on Dec 20, 2010 at 12:47 pm

6. Ah, I’m supposed to make stollen for Daring Bakers this month! Yours looks delicious.

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Dec 20, 2010 at 2:02 pm

7. It is SO pretty!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Dec 20, 2010 at 4:07 pm

8. Beautiful stollen! My Oma (Swiss grandmother) just gave me a loaf before I left to come back to Texas. I am going to try my own hand at it soon.. yours turned out perfect! Looks delicious!

by Evan @swEEts on Dec 20, 2010 at 4:17 pm

9. I’ve always been interested in this bread. It looks so nice! I enjoy baking bread, so I should give it a try!

by Tiffany @ Conor & Bella on Dec 20, 2010 at 4:25 pm

10. I’m glad to see some german recipes! I will post my Stollen recipe in an upcoming post, and I have posted my Vanillekipferl and Spitzbuben recipe. You can also check out the Bavarian Christmas going on right now. Also, how did that CSN give away work out for you? They have contacted me and I want to make sure it is legit.

by Simone on Dec 20, 2010 at 5:13 pm

11. I’m sad to say as a German that I’ve never eaten stollen. I’ve always wanted to, but it’s never presented itself. Perhaps I should bake my own! Looks lovely, and very fun to do.

Cheers,

*Heather*

by heather on Dec 20, 2010 at 6:19 pm

12. These look fabulous! This is the first recipe I’ve seen like this and I have been actually looking for one! Happy holidays to you!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Dec 21, 2010 at 10:14 am

13. Stollen brings such wonderful memories of Germany! What beautiful looking bread you made, Tracy! Great job!

by Kay Heritage on Dec 21, 2010 at 12:52 pm

14. Those thick slices look so good! I bet they would make an unbelievably good French toast!

by Maris (In Good Taste) on Dec 21, 2010 at 2:45 pm

15. Oh this is so gorgeous, I really want to make one but have had zero success with yeast.

by Jennifurla on Dec 21, 2010 at 6:03 pm

16. I’ve always loved this recipe! Great post 🙂

by Katrina on Dec 22, 2010 at 11:21 am

17. That brings back great memories from my German/Russian grandmother. I loved this as a child. I will try your recipe. It looks great.

by carolinahearstrings on Dec 22, 2010 at 5:21 pm

18. Beautiful! I had hoped to make Stollen this year, but never got around to it. Yours looks absolutely lovely!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Dec 26, 2010 at 8:01 pm

19. This looks wonderful, Tracy! What a beautiful loaf of bread. 🙂

by Tracy on Jan 1, 2011 at 3:50 pm

20. Great loaf of bread! Looks wonderful!

by Ingrid on Jan 3, 2011 at 8:21 pm

21. How beautiful, I have never had a piece, but now I must…wish I saw this earlier (been crazy busy) I bookmarked this for next year!! You are awesome! Thanks! Hope your holidays were wonderful 🙂

by Souffle Bombay on Jan 14, 2011 at 10:17 am