Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies

Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies - 5

In the middle of December last year, I picked up a $10 cookie press while I was out Christmas shopping. I was excited to put it use since I had never made spritz cookies before, but I ended up running out of time with all the busyness of the holidays. I resolved to make time for them in my schedule this year though, and this past weekend I had my chance. Getting used to the cookie press took a little bit of time, but once I got the hang of it, it wasn’t too bad at all. Β It was fun picking out which shapes to make next! I decorated mine simply, only using red and green sanding sugar…but you can use any kind of sprinkles or other decorations that you like. You can also color the dough red and green if you want. There are so many ways to be creative with these, which is why I think they’re perfect for a cookie-making party. I hope you give them a try this Christmas!

In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the cream cheese.

Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies - 1

Beat in the egg yolk and vanilla extract until well-incorporated. This is also where you’d add in the vanilla bean if you’re using it, but I didn’t use it in this batch.

Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies - 2

Beat in the flour.Β If you want to color the dough, add a few drops of food coloring to it and knead until the color is uniform. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill at least 4 hours.

Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies - 3

When almost ready to bake, let the dough sit at room temperature just until soft enough to mold (or knead it with your hands). Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. On an ungreased surface (this is important, because otherwise the cookies won’t come off the press), press out the dough into shapes. Transfer to baking sheets lined with parchment paper, and then add decorations.

Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies - 4

Bake 10-12 minutes or until the edges are stiff and the cookies are lightly browned on the bottom. Makes about 4 1/2 dozen cookies.

Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies - 6

Posted by on December 10, 2010.

1. These are too cute!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Dec 10, 2010 at 10:08 am

2. Cute! I love these!!

by Katrina on Dec 10, 2010 at 10:49 am

3. what pretty cookies! Happy Birthday Tracy!!

by Jenny Flake on Dec 10, 2010 at 10:50 am

4. Hello from your friends from Tasty Kitchen. Your cookies look great. I always make these as one of my holiday cookies, red, green dough. Very yummy. I have already gone though 2 cookies presses in my time and am on my third. A Wilton one. Very easy to use.

by carolinahearstrings on Dec 10, 2010 at 12:10 pm

5. Happy Birthday! These cookies are beautiful!

by Maria on Dec 10, 2010 at 12:33 pm

6. There’s just something about spritz cookies that look so darn festive. They just scream the holidays! Yours look wonderful!

by Erin @ Making Memories on Dec 10, 2010 at 12:35 pm

7. I love spritz cookies, but haven’t actually made them before. I love your christmas colors!! Guess I need to get a spritz machine πŸ™‚

by Steph@stephsbitebybite on Dec 10, 2010 at 1:46 pm

8. I used to play with my grammie’s cookie press when I was a little girl– have no clue where that treasure might be now but I would love to find it! What a delightful recipe!

by Cara on Dec 10, 2010 at 1:51 pm

9. That cream cheese probably makes them taste so nice and rich. I just love it when I find a new kitchen “toy” and it looks like you’ve had a lot of fun with yours. From the pretty look of your cookies, I’d say that was $10 well spent.

by Lisa on Dec 10, 2010 at 3:18 pm

10. Mmmm…I want to try these! They look absolutely gorgeous too!

by Melynda on Dec 10, 2010 at 4:35 pm

11. My mom’s favorite Christmas cookie are spritz! I love the addition of cream cheese. That must really add a nice texture

by Mary @ Bites and Bliss on Dec 10, 2010 at 5:28 pm

12. Making spritz cookies (trees and wreaths) are an annual tradition, being passed down from my husband’s great-grandmother. Aren’t they fun? You did a great job with yours.

by Cookin' Canuck on Dec 10, 2010 at 6:03 pm

13. So pretty and festive!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Dec 10, 2010 at 6:05 pm

14. Your cookies look so pretty! I’ve never made spritz cookies either, but I bet these melt in your mouth!

by Sue on Dec 10, 2010 at 8:24 pm

15. I saw these this morning and decided to make them today! It’s the first time I’ve used a cookie press but my mom made these every year when I was a kid. They turned out great! I let the kids help with the sprinkles and the taste testing… Thumbs up all around!

by Tanya on Dec 11, 2010 at 4:00 am

16. So cute!!!! I love the cream cheese in these!

by Jennie @ Oh, Sweet Day! on Dec 11, 2010 at 8:08 am

17. I need to find my cookie press. I’m not sure where it is but I’m sure my kids would love these cookies. πŸ™‚

by Katy @ Alphabet Soup on Dec 11, 2010 at 10:58 am

18. Tracy, I remember these from Christmas Past. Good stuff. Thanks for keeping the Spritz alive in 2010.

by Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon on Dec 11, 2010 at 8:08 pm

19. These are so festive! How cute! I really need to get started on my Christmas cookies!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Dec 12, 2010 at 1:25 am

20. How cute are these! Actually, you’re quite inspiring. A friend gave me a cookie press last year, and I have yet to open it! I need to get on that! πŸ™‚

by Amy @ Serve At Once on Dec 12, 2010 at 2:13 am

21. These came out so pretty. I love spritz cookies. I have to get one of those cookie presses.

by Raina on Dec 12, 2010 at 10:45 am

22. We LOVE to make Spritz in our house! My kids get out the press and go for it – very kid friendly cookie. I got a cookie press with something like 20 different design plates as a freebie from Martha Stewart one year. Of course my kids have to change the plates out every single time but hey, they love it! Then I make them do the dishes.

by Karenpie on Dec 12, 2010 at 4:48 pm

23. Great job on your cookies! They look so cute!

I’m hosting a Christmas Recipe party on Thursday (with prizes). Hope you can stop by!

by Jerri on Dec 12, 2010 at 11:08 pm

24. I’ve been thinking that I need to make some spritz cookies lately… My cookie press hasn’t gotten much use in the last year or so! These look lovely. I’ve always made plain butter, but I think the cream cheese sounds great!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Dec 13, 2010 at 11:50 pm

25. This recipe is perfect for my holiday contest to win a Foodista cookbook! It’s not too late to enter. Share your delicious holiday cheer with more food-lovers! Would love for you to win πŸ™‚ http://ow.ly/3j61M

by Melody Fury on Dec 14, 2010 at 3:22 pm

26. Bite sized cookies. Perfect!

by Ingrid on Dec 15, 2010 at 7:43 pm

27. These cookies look amazing & I am so linking to them in my post tomorrow πŸ™‚

by marla {family fresh cooking} on Dec 20, 2010 at 6:37 pm

28. These are so cute! I used to make spritz cookies with my mom when I was a kid, and I’m hoping to start making them again. I don’t think my recipe calls for cream cheese, I bet that’s yummy. Instead we divide the dough and add both food coloring and flavor extracts – peppermint for xmas trees, almond for flowers, etc. I highly recommend it!

by Margaret on Dec 20, 2010 at 10:04 pm

29. So tiny and adorable πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

by Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on Dec 23, 2010 at 3:29 pm

30. I just tried the recipe in my new Pampered Chef press. They turned out perfectly, and the cream cheese makes them delicious! Thank you for the detailed post!

by Maggie on Nov 4, 2011 at 6:25 pm

31. I have dusted off my “spritzer”, which has not been used since my girls were small, to make cookies with my granddaughters. Not having made these with cream cheese, I am doubly excited. Your cookies look fabulous!

by Debbie on Dec 9, 2011 at 1:15 pm

32. Can this cookie dough be frozen to make later? Or, can the baked cookies be frozen and if so how long would you suggest?

by Joyce on Dec 10, 2012 at 6:16 pm

33. Joyce – I don’t see why not, as long you completely defrost it first or you might break your cookie press! I’ve frozen the baked cookies before though, and they keep pretty well in the freezer for about 3 months. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Dec 11, 2012 at 2:41 pm

34. Joyce, do you think the cream cheese keeps the cookies softer for longer vs no cream cheese? I would imagine it’s more like a “natural” preservative

by Vera's Family on Mar 31, 2013 at 4:08 pm