Cranberry Chutney

Cranberry Chutney

I can’t believe that this is the end of the Tigress Can Jam! It seems like only yesterday I was canning lemon-vanilla marmalade and beginning my year-long adventure in learning how to preserve my own fruits and vegetables. I have to say I’ve loved every minute of it, and I’ve learned a lot as well. I want to thank all of my canning friends who helped me along the way, and of course Tigress for hosting such a great group! I’m definitely hooked and plan to continue canning, so you can still expect to see recipes for all kinds of canned goodies on my site. And if you’re interested, I here there are plans for a 2011 Can Jam in the works! Follow Tigress on Twitter for more information as it becomes available.

This month’s food in focus was dried fruit, so I decided to use up the last of my cranberries from Thanksgiving to throw together this wonderfully tangy chutney. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

In a large sauce pan, combine all of the ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until the mixture sheets from a spoon. When ready to can, prepare your supplies. Bring the temperature of the glass jars up by processing them in hot water for several minutes. Heat a few cups of water in a small saucepan for the lids. Ladle hot chutney into jars, leaving 1/2″ headspace at the top. Wipe rim and center lids on jars, and then screw down bands just until resistance is met. Place the full jars back into the boiling water and boil 15 minutes. Remove from the water and place the jars on a towel, and let the jars cool. The seals should suck down (you’ll hear a popping noise as they do). Makes 6 eight-ounce jars.

Posted by on December 8, 2010.

Tags: , ,

Categories: canning

1. Love this idea! Great holiday gift!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Dec 8, 2010 at 10:07 am

2. Great way to use up leftover cranberries!

by Liz @ BLog is the New Black on Dec 8, 2010 at 10:11 am

3. I love a good chutney! This is no exception. I can think of 1,000 different appetizers I would use this in!

by maggy@threemanycooks on Dec 8, 2010 at 10:39 am

4. Perfect chutney for the holidays!

by Maria on Dec 8, 2010 at 10:48 am

5. My Mom and Grandmother used to can when I was a child…this recipe inspires me. Got to buy the canning equipment and get started making this recipe and other fruits/vegetables. Going to Tigress Can Jam right now!

by Judy B. on Dec 8, 2010 at 11:06 am

6. What a great gift! It looks beautiful, too.

by Susan on Dec 8, 2010 at 11:37 am

7. This looks wonderful! I enjoy canning too and actually posted today about my yummy pickled carrots. I will have to make this chutney some time.

by Country Girl in the City on Dec 8, 2010 at 11:48 am

8. Great way to make use of the rest of your cranberries. It sounds like it would be absolutely delicious on a turkey sandwich.

by Lisa on Dec 8, 2010 at 1:58 pm

9. I have had fun watching you can all year long. You’ve given me loads of inspiration! Who knows, maybe I’ll get up the guts to join in next year. Or I’ll watch you again. LOL!

by Christine on Dec 8, 2010 at 3:23 pm

10. I love cranberries, and this would be a great way to keep them around longer than the holiday season! I’m so interested in learning how to can, so I’ll check out your other blog entries. :)

by Amy @ Serve At Once on Dec 8, 2010 at 10:11 pm

11. Wonderful for the holidays!

by Ingrid on Dec 9, 2010 at 1:59 am

12. Tracy, I’m printing this out for my adventures in canning!

by Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon on Dec 9, 2010 at 9:41 am

13. Tracy, I absolutely love this idea for a chutney. I can imagine how good it would taste with chicken or fish.

by Cookin' Canuck on Dec 9, 2010 at 9:43 am

14. I’ve never had this before! It looks lovely.

by Katrina on Dec 9, 2010 at 9:43 am

15. Oh, I toyed with doing a cranberry chutney, too – must be the season! :-D Instead, I just couldn’t resist using dried mango in my chutney. Yours looks so gorgeous and festive. What a nice change-up!

Been loving canning with you all year – I hope Tigress does get up a version of Can Jam in 2011, too!

by RJ Flamingo on Dec 9, 2010 at 5:00 pm

16. This looks delicious. You have really inspired me to try canning. That will be one of my New Year’s resolutions. Hopefully, one I will keep:)

by Raina on Dec 9, 2010 at 10:38 pm

17. Will you please visit me and teach me your canning ways? I want to can this so I love cranberries so much!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Dec 12, 2010 at 1:19 am

18. Mmmm, looks and sounds delicious :) !

by Pretty. Good. Food. on Dec 19, 2010 at 1:46 pm

19. I made two batches of this to add to my holiday gift baskets. It is wonderful and has had great reviews from all who have tasted it so far. When put on the table with regular cranberry sauce the chutney was all gone and the cranberry sauce stayed unused. I’ll do this again next year. Thanks.

by Margaret on Dec 28, 2010 at 9:57 pm

20. I’m the founder/moderator for Punk Domestics (www.punkdomestics.com), a community site for those of use obsessed with, er, interested in DIY food. It’s sort of like Tastespotting, but specific to the niche. I’d love for you to submit this to the site. Good stuff!

by Sean on Jan 5, 2011 at 1:24 pm