Venison Chili

Venison Chili - 3

If you’re not looking for Thanksgiving leftover recipes, you’ve come to the right place. Since I didn’t host Thanksgiving this year, I have no leftovers hanging around to figure out what to do with. I do, however, still have a few pounds of venison in the freezer from a good friend of mine whose hubby hunts every year, so I wanted to share this recipe with you for venison chili if you happen to hunt or if you have a friend who does. I can’t take credit for the recipe though; I adapted it from my friend’s recipe for venison sausage. This was the first time I’ve ever cooked venison myself, and I really enjoyed it…mixed with the pork, it didn’t taste too gamy, and the extra heat from the chili helped with that as well. If you have access to venison, I hope you’ll give chili this a try!

In a medium bowl, mix together the venison, pork, salt, pepper, red pepper, hot sauce, Italian seasoning, chili powder, cumin, and nutmeg. In a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, cook the meat and onion until browned. Drain.

Venison Chili - 1

Add in the garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and beans. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the chili bubbles.

Venison Chili - 2

Reduce the heat to low, and let simmer about 20 minutes so that all the flavors will meld together. Sprinkle with cheese and serve hot!

Venison Chili - 3

Posted by on November 29, 2010.

Tags:

Categories: dinner

1. Your chili looks delicious!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Nov 29, 2010 at 10:26 am

2. It is snowing here, this chili would be the perfect meal for today!

by Maria on Nov 29, 2010 at 10:54 am

3. Awesome! We make deer chili, too – but yours looks wonderful. Not too many bloggers use venison – but they should!

by Susan on Nov 29, 2010 at 11:06 am

4. Nice. We have some antelope in the freezer. I think I’ll give this a try later this week. I had turkey soup on the menu plan, but I used all the leftovers making turkey pot pies!

by Sarah on Nov 29, 2010 at 12:16 pm

5. That sounds tasty. I think I would make it with ground bison since I have no venison in the freezer, just in the backyard.

by My Kitchen in the Rockies on Nov 29, 2010 at 12:46 pm

6. No one in my family hunts anymore (my grandfather and uncle were avid hunters) so I haven’t had venison since I was little. I was always a fan of the jerky 🙂

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Nov 29, 2010 at 1:10 pm

7. This looks delicious! …..and I’ve never even had venison!

by Jenny Flake on Nov 29, 2010 at 1:39 pm

8. Oh my Tracy. I’d rather have a big bowl of this than Thanksgiving leftovers any day.

by Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon on Nov 29, 2010 at 1:42 pm

9. The big difference with cooking with venison is that it’s so lean. In my opinion, you don’t have to add sausage to something like venison chili, but if you try to make burgers or meatloaf with venison, it won’t hold together very well because there’s so little fat. In chili, many people can’t tell the difference between venison and beef.

by Karen @ Oldfangled on Nov 29, 2010 at 2:51 pm

10. I will be sharing this with my sister-in-law! yum yum!

by Marie Baars on Nov 29, 2010 at 4:52 pm

11. We have a lot of venison around and I do NOT like it… so this recipe is just in time! Thank you!!

by Amanda on Nov 29, 2010 at 5:22 pm

12. Love the picture…Yummy!

by Ingrid on Nov 29, 2010 at 6:57 pm

13. My sister’s boyfriend is a hunter, their always looking for new recipes, will have to pass this along 🙂

by Courtney on Nov 30, 2010 at 1:30 am

14. Very luscious dish! Great for any special occasion 🙂

by bake in paris on Nov 30, 2010 at 3:01 am

15. I’ve never had venison before but it looks like it makes one delicious bowl of chili.

by Lisa on Nov 30, 2010 at 4:19 am

16. I had Venison Chili the other day at a chili cook off! It was delicious. I always like to see new and different takes on classic dishes. We are partial to goat.

by maggy@threemanycooks on Nov 30, 2010 at 9:52 am

17. WOW, no leftovers, whatever u made must be so delicious that no one could resist a second helping! Like this venison, it looks and sounds like a warm comforting meal !

by Crustabakes on Nov 30, 2010 at 10:35 am

18. I have some ground venison in my fridge right now just waiting to be used up! Awesome.

by Katrina on Nov 30, 2010 at 3:17 pm

19. What a fun take on chili! This is a version that would definitely stop me from getting bored of chili over the winter.

by Cookin' Canuck on Nov 30, 2010 at 7:46 pm

20. I have never tried venison. I would love to try your chili, though. It looks great.

by Raina on Nov 30, 2010 at 10:48 pm

21. Your chili looks great and a lot like mine. I’ve never tried it with pork before. I’ll give it a go. One big difference is that is that I dont use burger. I cube my deer’s meat into big bite size chunks which I brown on all sides with the onion, garlic and bell pepper chunks. I then cover the meat with several bottles of good ale ( Sam Adams will do for me) and simmer it for several hours until the deer is tender. I add the rest of the goodies and stew it until I can’t resist it anymore. I use some other items that you don’t, but I’ll have to try your recipe before I dare comment.
    I stumbled upon your site and it gives me a warm smile. Thanks! Tony

by Tony on Dec 1, 2010 at 6:33 pm

22. Just cooked this up for a weekend at my float house and must say it was excellent. So good I’m afraid it’s going to replace my venision stew recipe!

by Trygve on Dec 29, 2013 at 10:25 am

23. How many servings does this recipe contain?

by Bailey on Feb 8, 2014 at 11:25 am