Peppermint Bark

Peppermint Bark - 3

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I know today’s 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies post is sliding in at the last minute, but I’ve been enjoying spending time with the family and haven’t had time to sit down at the computer until now. Anyway, this week I decided to do something simple – peppermint bark! Not only is it easy to make, but you can make it even more festive by using mini Christmas cookie cutters to make Christmas shapes out of the bark rather than simply breaking it apart by hand. Once finished, the peppermint bark can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Enjoy!

Line the bottom of an 8″ baking dish with aluminum foil, making sure that some of the foil hangs over the edges of the pan. Combine the dark chocolate and 1 tsp vegetable oil in a double boiler over medium heat, and melt the chocolate. Stir in the mint extract, and then pour the chocolate into the prepared dish. Refrigerate about 30 minutes or until the chocolate has set.

Peppermint Bark - 1

Combine the white chocolate and 1 tsp vegetable oil and melt in the double boiler as well. Pour the white chocolate over the dark chocolate and spread until even. Sprinkle the crushed candies over the white chocolate. Refrigerate 30 minutes more or until the chocolate has set.

Peppermint Bark - 2

Remove the bark from the pan by lifting the edges of the foil. Cut out pieces of bark with a Christmas cookie cutter.

Peppermint Bark - 4

Posted by on November 27, 2010.

Tags: , ,

1. I’ve never made bark, but think I really need to this year. Such a great idea to use the cutters; so cute!

by Sue on Nov 27, 2010 at 4:21 am

2. I’m a huge fan of peppermint bark (or any chocolate bark for that matter). It’s super easy and delicious. Mmm.

by Katrina on Nov 27, 2010 at 7:56 am

3. Great idea with the cookie cutters 🙂

by Allison @ Novice Life on Nov 27, 2010 at 8:27 am

4. Love peppermint bark! I need to add it to my list.

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Nov 27, 2010 at 10:45 am

5. Love your peppermint bark! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Nov 27, 2010 at 12:46 pm

6. I love, love, love how you made your Peppermint Bark into adorable xmas shapes!! Absolutely brilliant! 🙂

by Avril on Nov 27, 2010 at 1:24 pm

7. I love that you cut them out with cookie cutters instead of just breakin them up. Love them
    mickey

by mickey on Nov 27, 2010 at 3:23 pm

8. So cute, Tracy! I’ve never made peppermint bark before but you make it sound so easy and simple. I will definitely have to make it for our holiday party.

by Tracy on Nov 27, 2010 at 10:11 pm

9. I have already eaten my share of this treat this year. I love it!

by My Kitchen in the Rockies on Nov 27, 2010 at 11:43 pm

10. Love your idea of cutting the bark into festive Christmas shapes. Plus, I bet it’s really nice to be able to eat the leftover scraps. I just bought some peppermint extract so I’ll have to give these a try once and for all.

by Lisa on Nov 28, 2010 at 2:51 am

11. What a great idea to cut the peppermint bark into holiday shapes! I’d probably end up eating all the broken pieces left behind while I was cutting them up. 😉

by Christine on Nov 28, 2010 at 4:21 pm

12. what a neat way to serve up the traditionally irregular bark chocolates, no to mention pretty too!

by Crustabakes on Nov 29, 2010 at 5:21 am

13. Great idea! Love the Christmas shapes!

by Ingrid on Nov 29, 2010 at 7:08 pm

14. You made this holiday favorite even cuter!!! Nice!

by Souffle Bombay on Dec 5, 2010 at 7:59 pm

15. I love peppermint bark, and I love how you shaped it with the cookie cutters! Adorable!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Dec 8, 2010 at 9:05 pm

16. I just recently discovered your blog, and love it! THANKS for all the great recipes. I’m going to try this bark this weekend. I bought melting wafers instead of real chocolate (a bit cheaper)… do you know if I would still add the oil to the melting wafers, I think maybe no?

THanks again.
    Sarah, from Nova Scotia, Canada.

by Sarah on Dec 11, 2010 at 1:47 pm

17. Sarah – I agree; I probably wouldn’t add oil to the melting wafers. Let me know how it turns out!

by Tracy on Dec 13, 2010 at 11:36 am

18. The bark looks delicious 🙂 Love that you made it into shapes!

by Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on Dec 24, 2010 at 3:13 pm

19. Is there a trick to using the cookie cutter. so it doesn’t break?

by Nicole on Dec 22, 2011 at 9:36 pm