Cranberry Sauce (Canned)

Cranberry Sauce (Canned) - 1

Last year for Thanksgiving, I made fresh cranberry sauce for the first time and absolutely fell in love with it. Not only was it surprisingly easy to make, but it’s extremely versatile, and I love that you can make it several days ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator so it’s one of those things you don’t even have to worry about on Thanksgiving day. Since I’m still canning away, I decided to look in my trusty Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving to see if there was a recipe for canned cranberry sauce – and sure enough, there was! Make this sauce and preserve it so that you can enjoy it all year round…just don’t forget to bring some along for your Thanksgiving day celebration, too!

In a large pot, combine the sugar and water and bring to a boil, and boil hard for 5 minutes. Add in the cranberries and return to a boil, then reduce the heat and boil gently until all the berries burst and the liquid begins to sheet from a metal spoon. Stir in the ginger and orange zest. When ready to can, prepare your supplies. Bring the temperature of the glass jars up by processing them in hot water for several minutes. Heat a few cups of water in a small saucepan for the lids. When the jars are ready, fill them with the cranberry sauce and place the lids and bands on top, screwing on the bands just to fingertip-tight. Place the full jars back into the boiling water and boil 15 minutes. Remove from the water and place the jars on a towel, and let the jars cool. The seals should suck down (you’ll hear a popping noise as they do). Makes 8 eight-ounce jars.

Posted by on November 24, 2010.

Categories: canning

1. I might just whip up a batch of this today. It looks easy and delicious!

by Barbara Bakes on Nov 24, 2010 at 12:03 pm

2. What a great idea to make canned cranberry sauce! I would have never even of thought of that. Not to mention the recipe sounds delicious and the cranberry sauce looks incredible! I love how the recipe uses ginger, yum.
    Have a happy Thanksgiving tomorrow!

by Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels on Nov 24, 2010 at 12:10 pm

3. Now this is canned sauce I would love:) So much better than store bought. Happy Thanksgiving!

by Maria on Nov 24, 2010 at 12:45 pm

4. Now this is the kind of canned cranberry sauce I can live with. The ginger is a lovely addition!

by Cookin' Canuck on Nov 24, 2010 at 8:14 pm

5. Homemade cranberry sauce is the best. Yours sounds great. I am so inspired by your canning. After the holidays, I am going to give it a go. I am looking forward to trying many of your recipes:)

by Raina on Nov 24, 2010 at 9:22 pm

6. This sounds SO GOOD Tracy! BTW – made your pumpkin ginger cranberry braid and blogged about it. We love, LOVE that bread. It’s special.

by Karenpie on Nov 25, 2010 at 3:17 am

7. I really need to get canning…seriously,

by Katrina on Nov 25, 2010 at 7:59 am

8. Too late for me to prepare this for Thanksgiving, but will definitely can for Christmas. Will put a decorative cloth covering over lid, decorate with greenery/bauble/sisal twine and put a label on front. Thanks for the recipe.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all.

by Judy B. on Nov 25, 2010 at 1:22 pm

9. This looks absolutely lovely! I might have to make some to give as gifts at Christmas.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Nov 28, 2010 at 12:18 am

10. What a fabulous idea! I really, REALLY need to start canning.

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Nov 28, 2010 at 10:35 pm

11. Should I use ground ginger or fresh root grated?
    Can’t wait to try this. Thanks.

by Glossy on Nov 30, 2010 at 8:05 am

12. Glossy – I used ground, but either will work – it’s just a matter of preference.

by Tracy on Nov 30, 2010 at 9:55 am

13. There you go again with your canning…I love it. I’ve been collecting mason jars so I really need to start canning. You’re such an inspiration!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Dec 12, 2010 at 12:52 am