Stollen Cookies

Stollen Cookies - 7

I picked up some fresh dates at the grocery store last week, because I wanted to practice making stollen for Christmas this year. Stollen is another one of the many Christmas goodies I had on my list to make last year but didn’t end up having enough time for, so now it’s at the top of my list for this year. My cookie deadline was coming up fast for this week though, and since I had stollen on the brain, I decided that it would be fun to experiment and to create a cookie that wraps up all the wonderful flavors of this Christmas favorite. Plus, once shaped into logs, the dough may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months – perfect for starting your Christmas cookie baking early, which is what the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies is all about. If you haven’t started your Christmas baking yet, get started today with this rich and buttery cookie version of a Christmas classic!

Recipe adapted from the sable cookie recipe in Baking From my Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan.

• 2 sticks butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 1 cup chopped dates, raisins, and cherries
  • 1 tsp orange zest

In a large bowl, beat the butter until smooth. Add in the sugars and orange zest.

Stollen Cookies - 1

Beat in the egg yolks one at a time. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Add into the butter mixture gradually, beating on low speed.

Stollen Cookies - 2

Stir in the dates, raisins, and cherries.

Stollen Cookies - 3

Gather the dough into a ball and divide it in half. Roll each half into a log about 9″ long. Wrap with plastic wrap and let chill in the refrigerator at least 2 hours.

Stollen Cookies - 4

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Dust the log with powdered sugar.

Stollen Cookies - 5

Cut 1/3″ cookies from the log and place them on the baking sheet.

Stollen Cookies - 6

Bake 17-20 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden. Let the cookies rest a couple minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. The powdered sugar around the edges won’t be very noticeable after baking, so make sure to roll the edges in powdered sugar again once the cookies have cooled.

Stollen Cookies - 7

35 Responses to “Stollen Cookies”

1. 1 JenniferA Says:
    November 19th, 2010 at 10:54 am

Oh, I love a cookie like this – easy yet festive!!

2. 2 Jenny Flake Says:
    November 19th, 2010 at 12:27 pm

These are the cutest! Looks great!

3. 3 Tracy Says:
    November 19th, 2010 at 12:30 pm

They look lovely!

4. 4 Jennifurla Says:
    November 19th, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Oh how delish, I can have dough laying around or I will eat it. Love the shape.

5. 5 Cara Says:
    November 19th, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I’ve been wanting to try Stollen too and what a great way to get it in cookie form!

6. 6 Liz @ Blog is the New Black Says:
    November 19th, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I’ve never heard of these but they look amazing!

7. 7 Ali @ Three Baking Sheets Says:
    November 19th, 2010 at 2:24 pm

So, I always see the pre-made version of this in stores (usually next to a big stack of panettone in red boxes) and it never appealed to me…until I saw your recipe. Such a festive cookie! Homemade is always the way to go.

8. 8 Ingrid Says:
    November 19th, 2010 at 5:04 pm

These look wonderful!

9. 9 Cookin' Canuck Says:
    November 19th, 2010 at 5:34 pm

This is such a simple ingredients list and I’ll bet that the taste and texture are perfect. Being able to freeze these until baking time makes holiday baking so much more manageable.

10. 10 Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker Says:
    November 19th, 2010 at 8:06 pm

These are such pretty and festive cookies! I love figs, so jealous you were able to get fresh ones, they were short-lived here this summer!

11. 11 erica @ fashionmeetsfood Says:
    November 19th, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Oh my word these cookies look absolutely amazing. I might have to make them this year at Christmas.

xo

12. 12 Lisa Says:
    November 19th, 2010 at 9:49 pm

What a creative idea for a cookie, and being slice and bake, so easy too.

13. 13 Lee Ann Says:
    November 20th, 2010 at 12:21 am

This is great! I keep running across recipes for Stollen and wanting to try it.

14. 14 marcellina Says:
    November 20th, 2010 at 3:11 am

What a wonderful way to enjoy the flavours of a Stollen in a individual bite size cookie!

15. 15 Sheena Says:
    November 20th, 2010 at 6:33 am

These cookies look so lovely! I love baking for the festive season :)

16. 16 Katrina Says:
    November 20th, 2010 at 8:50 am

Yum! I love dates in cookies. Great recipe :)

17. 17 RJ Flamingo Says:
    November 20th, 2010 at 9:07 am

What a unique concept and beautiful cookie, Tracy! I love the idea of stollen in a cookie and I’m betting the texture’s as great as the flavor. Nice!

18. 18 RJ Flamingo Says:
    November 20th, 2010 at 9:08 am

Weird. Your Comment Luv doesn’t seem to have caught up to my cookie post! But I have one – I swear I do! :-)

19. 19 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. Says:
    November 20th, 2010 at 11:35 am

These look fabulous!!

20. 20 Dimah Says:
    November 20th, 2010 at 12:47 pm

That looks absolutely amazing!

21. 21 Alicia Says:
    November 21st, 2010 at 9:26 am

I’ve never had stollen, can you believe that! I’m told I should definitely try it. These cookies look great, though. Mmm dates raisins and cherries. Sounds like my kind of thing.

22. 22 Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon Says:
    November 22nd, 2010 at 9:49 am

Tracy, your blog is hazardous to my health…or at least my waist line.

23. 23 Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) Says:
    November 22nd, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Those look delicious, and so easy :)

24. 24 Jarrelle Says:
    November 22nd, 2010 at 1:31 pm

This is the easiest Stollen cookie recipe I have ever seen!! I am definitely making these this year!

25. 25 G. Says:
    November 23rd, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Yum! These look Terrific! BTW, I was over at Tasty Kitchen and saw that Ree featured your white chocolate Pomegranate Pie!! Congrats. :)

26. 26 Sue Says:
    November 25th, 2010 at 2:19 am

As always, gorgeous photos! Stollen has always seemed like a Christmas classic to me though I have never made it. Your stollen cookies look so buttery, beautiful and delicate:)

27. 27 Joanne Says:
    November 27th, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I’ve heard very mixed reviews of stollen in general but I don’t think anyone can deny that these cookie versions look delicious!

28. 28 Christine Says:
    November 28th, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Hi Tracy!
    These cookies sound and look just divine. I absolutely LOVE Stollen, too. It has been on my to-bake list every Christmas season, but I never seem to get to it. I think I subconsciously put it off because I know I won’t be able to bake stollen anywhere near like my Oma’s stollen.

I am adding these Stollen cookies to my cookie list this year! :)

Happy holiday baking!

29. 29 Cindy Says:
    December 1st, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Bah! you cookies look so nice.. I made these for my husband and they all turned out flat as a pancake.. They taste awesome, but disappointing that they baked up very thin.. Not sure what I did wrong since I followed your recipe to the T and I’ve never had this problem before with other cookies.

30. 30 Patty Says:
    December 10th, 2010 at 6:59 pm

When I saw this recipe I couldn’t wait to try them. Today I baked up a quarter of the cookies and mine also baked up as thin as a pancake. I had the same problem as the previous person. So since I happen to have Dorie Greenspan’s book I checked the recipe for Sable Cookies which this recipe is a variation of and it states to use “2″ cups of flour not 1 cup. I wish I had read the comments and checked the book before I made the cookies. I hope this helps anyone else making them.
    Happy Holiday Baking!

31. 31 Tracy Says:
    December 10th, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Patty (and Cindy),

I’m sorry you had trouble with the recipe! The 1 cup of flour was actually not a typo – I reduced the amount of flour in the recipe since I also introduced a cup of chopped dates, raisins, and cherries that the original recipe does not have. However, if you are having trouble with the recipe then by all means give it another try with the extra flour. Hope that helps and happy baking!

32. 32 Jen @ How To: Simplify Says:
    December 11th, 2010 at 1:48 am

What a gorgeous treat!

33. 33 Patty Says:
    December 11th, 2010 at 10:33 am

I just baked the cookies again as you have written. Still spread out flat. But the taste is good and buttery. Then I tried the recipe again this morning with 2 cups of flour and they retained their shape as in your pictures. Could you please give me any tips you have on keeping the shape of the cookie using the 1 cup of flour? Are the cookies supposed to bake up flat? Thanks so much for your help. I’ve been baking for many years and when I can’t get it right as written I like to know why.

34. 34 Tracy Says:
    December 11th, 2010 at 11:11 am

Patty,

The cookies do bake up on the thin and crispy side; however I think that if they are not removed from the oven before they look like they are finished, they can easily overbake and spread out too much. I really appreciate you trying out both versions of the recipe and letting me know your thoughts! It sounds like they are best made with 2 cups of flour even with the addition of the fruits, so I am going to update the recipe to reflect that change. Thanks Patty. :-)

35. 35 Cindy Says:
    December 11th, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I also used 2 cups of flour this time, and they turned out great! =)