Stollen Cookies

Stollen Cookies - 7

I picked up some fresh dates at the grocery store last week, because I wanted to practice making stollen for Christmas this year. Stollen is another one of the many Christmas goodies I had on my list to make last year but didn’t end up having enough time for, so now it’s at the top of my list for this year. My cookie deadline was coming up fast for this week though, and since I had stollen on the brain, I decided that it would be fun to experiment and to create a cookie that wraps up all the wonderful flavors of this Christmas favorite. Plus, once shaped into logs, the dough may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months – perfect for starting your Christmas cookie baking early, which is what the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies is all about. If you haven’t started your Christmas baking yet, get started todayΒ with this rich and buttery cookie version of a Christmas classic!

Recipe adapted from the sable cookie recipe in Baking From my Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan.

In a large bowl, beat the butter until smooth. Add in the sugars and orange zest.

Stollen Cookies - 1

Beat in the egg yolks one at a time.Β In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Add into the butter mixture gradually, beating on low speed.

Stollen Cookies - 2

Stir in the dates, raisins, and cherries.

Stollen Cookies - 3

Gather the dough into a ball and divide it in half. Roll each half into a log about 9″ long. Wrap with plastic wrap and let chill in the refrigerator at least 2 hours.

Stollen Cookies - 4

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Dust the log with powdered sugar.

Stollen Cookies - 5

Cut 1/3″ cookies from the log and place them on the baking sheet.

Stollen Cookies - 6

Bake 17-20 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden. Let the cookies rest a couple minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. The powdered sugar around the edges won’t be very noticeable after baking, so make sure to roll the edges in powdered sugar again once the cookies have cooled.

Stollen Cookies - 7

Posted by on November 19, 2010.

1. Oh, I love a cookie like this – easy yet festive!!

by JenniferA on Nov 19, 2010 at 10:54 am

2. These are the cutest! Looks great!

by Jenny Flake on Nov 19, 2010 at 12:27 pm

3. They look lovely!

by Tracy on Nov 19, 2010 at 12:30 pm

4. Oh how delish, I can have dough laying around or I will eat it. Love the shape.

by Jennifurla on Nov 19, 2010 at 12:57 pm

5. I’ve been wanting to try Stollen too and what a great way to get it in cookie form!

by Cara on Nov 19, 2010 at 1:55 pm

6. I’ve never heard of these but they look amazing!

by Liz @ Blog is the New Black on Nov 19, 2010 at 2:03 pm

7. So, I always see the pre-made version of this in stores (usually next to a big stack of panettone in red boxes) and it never appealed to me…until I saw your recipe. Such a festive cookie! Homemade is always the way to go.

by Ali @ Three Baking Sheets on Nov 19, 2010 at 2:24 pm

8. These look wonderful!

by Ingrid on Nov 19, 2010 at 5:04 pm

9. This is such a simple ingredients list and I’ll bet that the taste and texture are perfect. Being able to freeze these until baking time makes holiday baking so much more manageable.

by Cookin' Canuck on Nov 19, 2010 at 5:34 pm

10. These are such pretty and festive cookies! I love figs, so jealous you were able to get fresh ones, they were short-lived here this summer!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Nov 19, 2010 at 8:06 pm

11. Oh my word these cookies look absolutely amazing. I might have to make them this year at Christmas.

xo

by erica @ fashionmeetsfood on Nov 19, 2010 at 8:19 pm

12. What a creative idea for a cookie, and being slice and bake, so easy too.

by Lisa on Nov 19, 2010 at 9:49 pm

13. This is great! I keep running across recipes for Stollen and wanting to try it.

by Lee Ann on Nov 20, 2010 at 12:21 am

14. What a wonderful way to enjoy the flavours of a Stollen in a individual bite size cookie!

by marcellina on Nov 20, 2010 at 3:11 am

15. These cookies look so lovely! I love baking for the festive season πŸ™‚

by Sheena on Nov 20, 2010 at 6:33 am

16. Yum! I love dates in cookies. Great recipe πŸ™‚

by Katrina on Nov 20, 2010 at 8:50 am

17. What a unique concept and beautiful cookie, Tracy! I love the idea of stollen in a cookie and I’m betting the texture’s as great as the flavor. Nice!

by RJ Flamingo on Nov 20, 2010 at 9:07 am

18. Weird. Your Comment Luv doesn’t seem to have caught up to my cookie post! But I have one – I swear I do! πŸ™‚

by RJ Flamingo on Nov 20, 2010 at 9:08 am

19. These look fabulous!!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Nov 20, 2010 at 11:35 am

20. That looks absolutely amazing!

by Dimah on Nov 20, 2010 at 12:47 pm

21. I’ve never had stollen, can you believe that! I’m told I should definitely try it. These cookies look great, though. Mmm dates raisins and cherries. Sounds like my kind of thing.

by Alicia on Nov 21, 2010 at 9:26 am

22. Tracy, your blog is hazardous to my health…or at least my waist line.

by Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon on Nov 22, 2010 at 9:49 am

23. Those look delicious, and so easy πŸ™‚

by Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on Nov 22, 2010 at 12:52 pm

24. This is the easiest Stollen cookie recipe I have ever seen!! I am definitely making these this year!

by Jarrelle on Nov 22, 2010 at 1:31 pm

25. Yum! These look Terrific! BTW, I was over at Tasty Kitchen and saw that Ree featured your white chocolate Pomegranate Pie!! Congrats. πŸ™‚

by G. on Nov 23, 2010 at 1:53 pm

26. As always, gorgeous photos! Stollen has always seemed like a Christmas classic to me though I have never made it. Your stollen cookies look so buttery, beautiful and delicate:)

by Sue on Nov 25, 2010 at 2:19 am

27. I’ve heard very mixed reviews of stollen in general but I don’t think anyone can deny that these cookie versions look delicious!

by Joanne on Nov 27, 2010 at 1:32 pm

28. Hi Tracy!
    These cookies sound and look just divine. I absolutely LOVE Stollen, too. It has been on my to-bake list every Christmas season, but I never seem to get to it. I think I subconsciously put it off because I know I won’t be able to bake stollen anywhere near like my Oma’s stollen.

I am adding these Stollen cookies to my cookie list this year! πŸ™‚

Happy holiday baking!

by Christine on Nov 28, 2010 at 4:18 pm

29. Bah! you cookies look so nice.. I made these for my husband and they all turned out flat as a pancake.. They taste awesome, but disappointing that they baked up very thin.. Not sure what I did wrong since I followed your recipe to the T and I’ve never had this problem before with other cookies.

by Cindy on Dec 1, 2010 at 10:50 pm

30. When I saw this recipe I couldn’t wait to try them. Today I baked up a quarter of the cookies and mine also baked up as thin as a pancake. I had the same problem as the previous person. So since I happen to have Dorie Greenspan’s book I checked the recipe for Sable Cookies which this recipe is a variation of and it states to use “2” cups of flour not 1 cup. I wish I had read the comments and checked the book before I made the cookies. I hope this helps anyone else making them.
    Happy Holiday Baking!

by Patty on Dec 10, 2010 at 6:59 pm

31. Patty (and Cindy),

I’m sorry you had trouble with the recipe! The 1 cup of flour was actually not a typo – I reduced the amount of flour in the recipe since I also introduced a cup of chopped dates, raisins, and cherries that the original recipe does not have. However, if you are having trouble with the recipe then by all means give it another try with the extra flour. Hope that helps and happy baking!

by Tracy on Dec 10, 2010 at 8:53 pm

32. What a gorgeous treat!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Dec 11, 2010 at 1:48 am

33. I just baked the cookies again as you have written. Still spread out flat. But the taste is good and buttery. Then I tried the recipe again this morning with 2 cups of flour and they retained their shape as in your pictures. Could you please give me any tips you have on keeping the shape of the cookie using the 1 cup of flour? Are the cookies supposed to bake up flat? Thanks so much for your help. I’ve been baking for many years and when I can’t get it right as written I like to know why.

by Patty on Dec 11, 2010 at 10:33 am

34. Patty,

The cookies do bake up on the thin and crispy side; however I think that if they are not removed from the oven before they look like they are finished, they can easily overbake and spread out too much. I really appreciate you trying out both versions of the recipe and letting me know your thoughts! It sounds like they are best made with 2 cups of flour even with the addition of the fruits, so I am going to update the recipe to reflect that change. Thanks Patty. πŸ™‚

by Tracy on Dec 11, 2010 at 11:11 am

35. I also used 2 cups of flour this time, and they turned out great! =)

by Cindy on Dec 11, 2010 at 2:05 pm