Pear-Apple Jam

Pear-Apple Jam

This month’s Tigress Can Jam theme was apples, pears, and quinces…and since I had just seen pears at the grocery store around the time I read the announcement, I thought it was a great pick for November. I have to admit that I’ve never seen a quince at the store before, much less eaten one – but pears and apples, I was all over that. This time though, rather than overwhelming the taste of the fruit with too many spices as I’m so apt to do in the fall, I kept it simple with just a bit of cinnamon and let the pears and apples shine. I just love the color of this jam; it’s so bright and cheery. This recipe makes 6 eight-ounce jars, but I had a couple of sixteen-ounce jars lying around, so I used them in addition to a couple of eight-ounce jars. Hope you enjoy this lovely jam!

In a large pot, combine the pears, apples, and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until softened. Run the fruit through your food processor, and then return it to the pot. Prepare your canning supplies; sterilize the canning jars by running them in almost boiling water for several minutes, and boil a few cups of water in a small saucepan for the lids. Whisk in the cinnamon and pectin until dissolved. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Add in the sugar all at once and return to a full rolling boil for one minute. Remove from the heat and skim the foam off the top. Ladle hot jam into jars, leaving 1/4″ headspace. Wipe rim and center lids on jars, and then screw down bands just until resistance is met. Place jars in canner, ensuring they are covered with water, and boil for 10 minutes. Makes 6 eight-ounce jars.

Posted by on November 17, 2010.

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: canning

1. This jam is absolutely beautiful! I love pears and apples and love how you kept this simple with just a touch of cinnamon! I can’t wait to try it…thanks!

by Jennifer @ Jane Deere on Nov 17, 2010 at 10:00 am

2. Great jam flavor!

by Maria on Nov 17, 2010 at 10:21 am

3. Love me some pears and apples!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Nov 17, 2010 at 10:27 am

4. This looks wonderful! I made my first apple jelly this year and I love the idea of a jam with pears added in. I think I will add this to my canning list for next year – thank you for sharing it!

by Pam on Nov 17, 2010 at 11:08 am

5. This looks great and you’re right, it’s so pretty! Any recommendations as to what kind of apples to use?

by Ginger Hayes on Nov 17, 2010 at 12:54 pm

6. Ginger – Thank you! I typically use tart apples in my jam to help even out the sugar content. I think I used Cortlands in this one. Good luck!

by Tracy on Nov 17, 2010 at 1:15 pm

7. Yum! What a beautiful jam recipe. You must have quite the stock of homemade jams and other lovely canned items right now!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Nov 17, 2010 at 2:21 pm

8. I love your site – I check it daily and you’re inspiring me to make some jam/jelly (It’ll be my first time). Do you eat this on toast or biscuits? The color is very happy!

by Leslie on Nov 17, 2010 at 6:14 pm

9. That really is a gorgeous colored jam. I wouldn’t mind having a jar of that around my house.

by Lisa on Nov 17, 2010 at 8:56 pm

10. I love when you post recipes like this. I’ve never canned anything before, and really want to try. I have soooo many of your recipes like this bookmarked 🙂

by Katrina on Nov 18, 2010 at 8:00 am

11. What kind of pears do you recommend, Tracy? This sounds so GOOD!

by Karenpie on Nov 18, 2010 at 12:42 pm

12. Leslie – That’s great; I hope you give it a try! I like jam on English muffins the most, but you can use it on whatever you like.

Karenpie – I used Bartlett pears, and I thought they were perfect!

by Tracy on Nov 18, 2010 at 12:46 pm

13. This jam sounds so good. I really need to get my butt going with the canning!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Nov 18, 2010 at 12:49 pm

14. Love the combination of apples and pears. This looks and sounds super delicious.

by Eliana on Nov 18, 2010 at 2:58 pm

15. Canning intimidates me. I think it goes back to ten years ago when I tried to can waaaaaay too many pears from the tree in the back yard of the house we were renting… in August… in a house with no air conditioning. But hubby wants to give a homemade canned creation to his family members for Christmas, so he bought a pressure canner. I resolve to NOT be intimidated by canning anymore! I will learn! And this jam will be on my list.

by Small Town Runner Karen on Nov 18, 2010 at 4:04 pm

16. I became obsessed with canning this summer.. I love it! This jam looks great and I love the flavors.. very different. I think I’m going to have to give it a go.. maybe some Christmas presents are in order 🙂

by Evan @swEEts on Nov 18, 2010 at 5:10 pm

17. Pear apple jelly sounds great!

by Ingrid on Nov 19, 2010 at 5:05 pm

18. How would you tweak this recipe to use with Pomona pectin? It is a citrus pectin and uses calcium to set instead of sugar. Hubby is diabetic so we go less sugar. It sounds yummy, and just the pear season now.

by Tayta on Nov 20, 2010 at 9:38 am

19. You are the jam queen. Seriously, I need to get moving on making homemade jam.

by Cookin' Canuck on Nov 20, 2010 at 5:27 pm

20. Tayta – I’m not really sure, since I’ve never tried that type of pectin before. I’d start by substituting it in the recipe directly for the powdered pectin. If you do, let me know how it turns out!

by Tracy on Nov 20, 2010 at 9:44 pm

21. That jam sounds amazing! I really need to get around to making some too!

by Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on Nov 22, 2010 at 12:53 pm

22. You can make low sugar apple-pear jam with Pomona’s Pectin. However, the recipe has to be converted to a Pomona recipe. Using a box of Pomona’s Pectin in this recipe would be way too much pectin. I would happily help convert this recipe to a Pomona recipe. Just call me on our Jamline: 413-772-6816 or email me: info@pomonapectin.com.

by Connie Sumberg on Nov 23, 2010 at 1:47 pm

23. I really need to get into canning…you’ve inspired me!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Dec 11, 2010 at 1:40 am

24. what is the best apple and pear type?
    im using this for an assignment and i would love to get an A!

by Bryany on May 17, 2012 at 12:42 am

25. Bryany – I used Bartlett pears and if I can remember correctly, Cortland apples…but you can use whatever your favorites are. Good luck!

by Tracy on May 17, 2012 at 11:43 am

26. This has a great flavor! My family loves it! the color turned out a carmael color…did I cook it too long. I love your bright yellow color. Please let me know, Thanks!

by Diana on Sep 29, 2012 at 8:08 pm

27. Hi Diana – You may have a difference in color if the fruit began to brown before you used it in the recipe. If so, you can toss the fruit chunks right after you peel and chop them with some lemon juice and water to prevent them some of the browning before you make the jam. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Oct 1, 2012 at 5:28 pm

28. i found this recipe because i had some pears and before they went bad i wanted to make a jam with them, but needed an additional fruit to make it interesting. one of my friends suggested apples and after a quick Google search for a pear-apple jam, i choose this one. i used fuji apples. this jam is so, so delicious! thanks so much for sharing.

by Charmaine on Dec 29, 2012 at 11:36 pm

29. Instead of using the 2 cups of apples can I just use 8 cups of pears with this recipe?

by Linda on May 20, 2013 at 8:55 am

30. Linda – You sure can (no pun intended)! 😉

by Tracy on May 21, 2013 at 3:51 pm

31. Fantastic…I think I will do one batch with all Pears and try one batch with the apples….Your finished product looked so wonderful so since I have 4 pear trees I think I will have enough pears to try a lot of different varieties of recipes this year
    Thanks

by Linda on May 22, 2013 at 9:48 am

32. Can you use liquid pectin instead of powder?

by Carol Gedeon on Jul 22, 2013 at 4:10 pm

33. Carol – You can! For every two tablespoons powdered pectin, use one packet of liquid pectin. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Jul 25, 2013 at 11:03 am

34. Have made 2 batches of this jam and it is delicious. Going to make somemore and adding jalapeno to it to use on crackers with cream cheese, asiago or blue cheese. Makes a fabulous appetizer or snack. Also keep my fruit a little bit chunky. Will pass this recipe on to family and friends. Thanks for the recipe.

by Cheryl on Oct 5, 2013 at 3:25 pm

35. I just made a batch! Only problem I see is I should have doubled the recipe! I used Bartlett/Gala and next time I am going to try a Northern Spy or a Granny smith!

by Peter on Sep 16, 2015 at 2:54 pm

36. This jam tastes incredible. It’s so delicate, like summer in your mouth. For the second batch I made, I used 2 cups of red peppers, 2 cups pears and 2 cups apples plus one little very hot pepper. Certo liquid worked well, adding it last after boiling hard for one minute. The pear, apple, pepper jam is phenomenal! Yummy!

by Lynda Henry on Oct 7, 2016 at 1:58 pm

37. Thanks for the lovely recipe. Easy to make and lovely to eat.

by Lynda Henry on Oct 7, 2016 at 1:59 pm

38. I like my jams chunkier so I try and use an immelsifier just a little. I will make this though.

by Linda daley on Nov 20, 2016 at 7:21 pm