Pear-Apple Jam

Pear-Apple Jam

This month’s Tigress Can Jam theme was apples, pears, and quinces…and since I had just seen pears at the grocery store around the time I read the announcement, I thought it was a great pick for November. I have to admit that I’ve never seen a quince at the store before, much less eaten one – but pears and apples, I was all over that. This time though, rather than overwhelming the taste of the fruit with too many spices as I’m so apt to do in the fall, I kept it simple with just a bit of cinnamon and let the pears and apples shine. I just love the color of this jam; it’s so bright and cheery. This recipe makes 6 eight-ounce jars, but I had a couple of sixteen-ounce jars lying around, so I used them in addition to a couple of eight-ounce jars. Hope you enjoy this lovely jam!

• 6 cups pears, peeled and finely chopped
  • 2 cups apples, peeled and finely chopped
  • 4 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 package (1.75 oz) powdered pectin
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 6 cups granulated sugar

In a large pot, combine the pears, apples, and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until softened. Run the fruit through your food processor, and then return it to the pot. Prepare your canning supplies; sterilize the canning jars by running them in almost boiling water for several minutes, and boil a few cups of water in a small saucepan for the lids. Whisk in the cinnamon and pectin until dissolved. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Add in the sugar all at once and return to a full rolling boil for one minute. Remove from the heat and skim the foam off the top. Ladle hot jam into jars, leaving 1/4″ headspace. Wipe rim and center lids on jars, and then screw down bands just until resistance is met. Place jars in canner, ensuring they are covered with water, and boil for 10 minutes. Makes 6 eight-ounce jars.

34 Responses to “Pear-Apple Jam”

1. 1 Jennifer @ Jane Deere Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 10:00 am

This jam is absolutely beautiful! I love pears and apples and love how you kept this simple with just a touch of cinnamon! I can’t wait to try it…thanks!

2. 2 Maria Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 10:21 am

Great jam flavor!

3. 3 Jessica @ How Sweet Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 10:27 am

Love me some pears and apples!

4. 4 Pam Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 11:08 am

This looks wonderful! I made my first apple jelly this year and I love the idea of a jam with pears added in. I think I will add this to my canning list for next year – thank you for sharing it!

5. 5 Ginger Hayes Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 12:54 pm

This looks great and you’re right, it’s so pretty! Any recommendations as to what kind of apples to use?

6. 6 Tracy Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Ginger – Thank you! I typically use tart apples in my jam to help even out the sugar content. I think I used Cortlands in this one. Good luck!

7. 7 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Yum! What a beautiful jam recipe. You must have quite the stock of homemade jams and other lovely canned items right now!

8. 8 Leslie Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I love your site – I check it daily and you’re inspiring me to make some jam/jelly (It’ll be my first time). Do you eat this on toast or biscuits? The color is very happy!

9. 9 Lisa Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 8:56 pm

That really is a gorgeous colored jam. I wouldn’t mind having a jar of that around my house.

10. 10 Katrina Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 8:00 am

I love when you post recipes like this. I’ve never canned anything before, and really want to try. I have soooo many of your recipes like this bookmarked :)

11. 11 Karenpie Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 12:42 pm

What kind of pears do you recommend, Tracy? This sounds so GOOD!

12. 12 Tracy Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Leslie – That’s great; I hope you give it a try! I like jam on English muffins the most, but you can use it on whatever you like.

Karenpie – I used Bartlett pears, and I thought they were perfect!

13. 13 Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 12:49 pm

This jam sounds so good. I really need to get my butt going with the canning!

14. 14 Eliana Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Love the combination of apples and pears. This looks and sounds super delicious.

15. 15 Small Town Runner Karen Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Canning intimidates me. I think it goes back to ten years ago when I tried to can waaaaaay too many pears from the tree in the back yard of the house we were renting… in August… in a house with no air conditioning. But hubby wants to give a homemade canned creation to his family members for Christmas, so he bought a pressure canner. I resolve to NOT be intimidated by canning anymore! I will learn! And this jam will be on my list.

16. 16 Evan @swEEts Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 5:10 pm

I became obsessed with canning this summer.. I love it! This jam looks great and I love the flavors.. very different. I think I’m going to have to give it a go.. maybe some Christmas presents are in order :)

17. 17 Ingrid Says:
    November 19th, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Pear apple jelly sounds great!

18. 18 Tayta Says:
    November 20th, 2010 at 9:38 am

How would you tweak this recipe to use with Pomona pectin? It is a citrus pectin and uses calcium to set instead of sugar. Hubby is diabetic so we go less sugar. It sounds yummy, and just the pear season now.

19. 19 Cookin' Canuck Says:
    November 20th, 2010 at 5:27 pm

You are the jam queen. Seriously, I need to get moving on making homemade jam.

20. 20 Tracy Says:
    November 20th, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Tayta – I’m not really sure, since I’ve never tried that type of pectin before. I’d start by substituting it in the recipe directly for the powdered pectin. If you do, let me know how it turns out!

21. 21 Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) Says:
    November 22nd, 2010 at 12:53 pm

That jam sounds amazing! I really need to get around to making some too!

22. 22 Connie Sumberg Says:
    November 23rd, 2010 at 1:47 pm

You can make low sugar apple-pear jam with Pomona’s Pectin. However, the recipe has to be converted to a Pomona recipe. Using a box of Pomona’s Pectin in this recipe would be way too much pectin. I would happily help convert this recipe to a Pomona recipe. Just call me on our Jamline: 413-772-6816 or email me: info@pomonapectin.com.

23. 23 Jen @ How To: Simplify Says:
    December 11th, 2010 at 1:40 am

I really need to get into canning…you’ve inspired me!

24. 24 Bryany Says:
    May 17th, 2012 at 12:42 am

what is the best apple and pear type?
    im using this for an assignment and i would love to get an A!

25. 25 Tracy Says:
    May 17th, 2012 at 11:43 am

Bryany – I used Bartlett pears and if I can remember correctly, Cortland apples…but you can use whatever your favorites are. Good luck!

26. 26 Diana Says:
    September 29th, 2012 at 8:08 pm

This has a great flavor! My family loves it! the color turned out a carmael color…did I cook it too long. I love your bright yellow color. Please let me know, Thanks!

27. 27 Tracy Says:
    October 1st, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Hi Diana – You may have a difference in color if the fruit began to brown before you used it in the recipe. If so, you can toss the fruit chunks right after you peel and chop them with some lemon juice and water to prevent them some of the browning before you make the jam. Hope that helps!

28. 28 Charmaine Says:
    December 29th, 2012 at 11:36 pm

i found this recipe because i had some pears and before they went bad i wanted to make a jam with them, but needed an additional fruit to make it interesting. one of my friends suggested apples and after a quick Google search for a pear-apple jam, i choose this one. i used fuji apples. this jam is so, so delicious! thanks so much for sharing.

29. 29 Linda Says:
    May 20th, 2013 at 8:55 am

Instead of using the 2 cups of apples can I just use 8 cups of pears with this recipe?

30. 30 Tracy Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Linda – You sure can (no pun intended)! ;-)

31. 31 Linda Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 9:48 am

Fantastic…I think I will do one batch with all Pears and try one batch with the apples….Your finished product looked so wonderful so since I have 4 pear trees I think I will have enough pears to try a lot of different varieties of recipes this year
    Thanks

32. 32 Carol Gedeon Says:
    July 22nd, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Can you use liquid pectin instead of powder?

33. 33 Tracy Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 11:03 am

Carol – You can! For every two tablespoons powdered pectin, use one packet of liquid pectin. Hope that helps!

34. 34 Cheryl Says:
    October 5th, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Have made 2 batches of this jam and it is delicious. Going to make somemore and adding jalapeno to it to use on crackers with cream cheese, asiago or blue cheese. Makes a fabulous appetizer or snack. Also keep my fruit a little bit chunky. Will pass this recipe on to family and friends. Thanks for the recipe.