Traditional Stuffing

Stuffing - 7

Can you believe Thanksgiving is only a couple weeks away? It seems like autumn is just flying by. Of course, it doesn’t help that the stores have had Christmas things out since before Halloween…I know it always comes early, but that seemed a bit much for me. Anyway, to help you prepare for Thanksgiving dinner this year, I’m going to be posting Thanksgiving recipes now until Thanksgiving day, with the exception of the baking (and canning) groups that I’m currently participating in. To help get the ball rolling, here is a roundup of my Thanksgiving recipes from last year, as well as a few fall recipes from this year – I hope it helps you to start brainstorming your own Thanksgiving menu!

Breakfast:

Appetizers:

Sides:

Dessert:

And now, on to the stuffing!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease an 8×11″ baking dish. Dice the celery and onion and measure out your cranberries (I love fresh cranberries in stuffing, so I added extra to mine – but you can leave them out altogether if you’re not a fan. Or, sub in raisins, walnuts, or whatever your heart desires!).

Stuffing - 1

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the onions in 2 Tbsp of the olive oil. Add in the celery, garlic, cranberries, salt, pepper, and herbs. Sauté 5-10 minutes longer. Allow to cool slightly so that the hot vegetables won’t cook the eggs when they’re mixed together.

Stuffing - 2

In a large bowl, mix together the bread, turkey stock, and eggs.

Stuffing - 4

Add the vegetable mixture to the bread mixture.

Stuffing - 5

Spoon the mixture into the baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and brush with the other 2 Tbsp olive oil. Bake until golden brown, about 15 -20 minutes longer.

Stuffing - 6

Posted by on November 8, 2010.

Categories: soups, salads, & sides

1. This is some gorgeous stuffing! Much more colorful than any stuffing I eat. Will definitely be trying this recipe.

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:45 am

2. I love the color of this stuffing! Great flavors!

by Maria on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:54 am

3. I love the addition of cranberries, saving this one for sure.

by Jennifurla on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:58 am

4. I never seem to get stuffing right. I always end up with it being gummy because I’m not sure how much liquid is enough. Grrrr.

by Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon on Nov 8, 2010 at 11:07 am

5. Love the addition of cranberries to this stuffing. It looks super delish!

by Eliana on Nov 8, 2010 at 11:08 am

6. Wow, I cannot wait for Thanksgiving! This looks fabulous!

by Jenny Flake on Nov 8, 2010 at 11:17 am

7. I’m hosting Thanksgiving so I can’t wait to check out all of your awesome ideas!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Nov 8, 2010 at 11:45 am

8. I love cranberries in dressing, but it freaks out the selective eaters of the group. To get my fix, I always bring dressing with cranberries to the office Thanksgiving potluck.

by Louanne on Nov 8, 2010 at 11:55 am

9. This recipe is perfect! It looks just like my mums 🙂

by Katrina on Nov 8, 2010 at 12:22 pm

10. That is great-looking stuffing! Love the cranberries in there. You’re really getting me in the mood for some turkey-day fun!!

by CookiePie on Nov 8, 2010 at 3:18 pm

11. Wow, this stuffing will definitely make Thanksgiving special. It looks like you have a delicious Thanksgiving holiday ahead of you.

by Lisa on Nov 8, 2010 at 3:47 pm

12. I love, love, love the recipe list! It is filled with one delicious dish after another! I also love that you add cranberries into your stuffing. I do too!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Nov 8, 2010 at 6:37 pm

13. Tracy, this looks SO so tasty! I love the addition of cranberries. Thanks for the T-day round up. I’m sitting down to write our menu tonight, and it’s going to help tremendously.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Nov 8, 2010 at 7:05 pm

14. Stuffing is my all-time favorite Thanksgiving side dish, YUM!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Nov 8, 2010 at 9:27 pm

15. This is BEAUTIFUL, Tracy!

by Kay Heritage on Nov 8, 2010 at 9:55 pm

16. I had fun exploring all your great fall recipes. Looks like you’ll be eating well for Thanksgiving!

by Barbara Bakes on Nov 9, 2010 at 12:16 pm

17. Oh YUM. This stuffing looks delicious. I’m in charge of a side dish and a salad for Thanksgiving dinner this year and am having so much fun browsing through your ideas!

by Becca on Nov 9, 2010 at 3:34 pm

18. Delish, delish! Stuffing is my favorite part of the meal and I usually end up making three types. I’m loving this traditional version of yours.

by naomi on Nov 9, 2010 at 3:35 pm

19. This looks amazing! I love that you put cranberries in it. Wow..that must give it a wonderful flavor. I like a more traditional stuffing like yours. Everyone in my family makes theirs with sausage which I am not a huge fan of. I think I will bring this to my mom’s house this year. Maybe, I can convince them there is a better way..lol

by Raina on Nov 10, 2010 at 10:04 am

20. Traditional bread stuffings are my favorite and I love the addition of cranberries to this one. Great list of Thanksgiving recipe links, too.

by Cookin' Canuck on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:56 am