Maple Butterscotch Cookies

Maple Butterscotch Cookies - 6

When I was making my grocery list a few weeks ago, I realized that I was almost out of cloves…and since it’s the season for all things pumpkin, I knew I needed to remedy that immediately. However, the tiniest, cheapest container of cloves at my usual grocery store was $7, and there was no way I was paying $7 for cloves…so, over lunch the next day at work, I drove to a nearby Aldi store. After searching around for a bit, I came upon a display of holiday baking spices, and found bottles of cloves three times the size of the one I looked at the day before for only $.99! I know, I may be compromising on quality somewhat – but for the price and how little I actually use in a recipe, it was totally worth it to me. Since I was already hanging out in the baking aisle, I decided to see what else they had – and I’m so glad I did, because I hit the jackpot: white chocolate and butterscotch baking chips that are NOT processed in a facility with peanuts/nuts! Since Hershey’s doesn’t make either of those (and if they do, they’re not sold in stores by me) and Nestle has that dreaded warning on all of their chocolate products, it was like Christmas. I may have squealed and frightened a few customers. Maybe. (For all my allergic friends, the brand is called Baker’s Corner. Love.)

All that said, the butterscotch chips I purchased were my inspiration for this week’s cookies…and what better to pair them with than pure maple syrup? The texture of these cookies are similar to butter cookies, and they are packed full of maple flavor – a perfect addition to your cookie trays. Can you believe this is week 6 of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies? I can’t – time to get started on my Christmas shopping!

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt.

Maple Butterscotch Cookies - 1

In a large bowl, beat together the brown sugar, oil, and maple syrup. Beat in the egg.

Maple Butterscotch Cookies - 2

With the mixer on low, gradually add in the dry ingredients. Stir in the butterscotch chips. The mixture will be crumbly.

Maple Butterscotch Cookies - 3

Roll the dough into 1 and 1/2″ balls, and then flatten them lightly. Roll the cookies in granulated sugar.

Maple Butterscotch Cookies - 4

Place the cookies on the parchment paper and bake for 13-15 minutes. Let cool on the pans for a couple minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes about 20 cookies.

Maple Butterscotch Cookies - 5

Posted by on November 5, 2010.

Tags: , ,

1. I’m definitely going to add these to my list. Such a different cookie than what I usually make. I love it!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Nov 5, 2010 at 10:01 am

2. Adding these to my baking list now!

by Maria on Nov 5, 2010 at 10:04 am

3. Oh my! These cookies look so soft and full of wonderful fall flavors. Great recipe, Tracy!

by Cookin' Canuck on Nov 5, 2010 at 10:11 am

4. You take such delicious photos! Everything looks so yummy on your site.

by Katie Rose on Nov 5, 2010 at 10:14 am

5. These make my heart flutter

by Katrina on Nov 5, 2010 at 10:34 am

6. yum! These look delicious! I wish we had an Aldi near us-they started marking all of their allergens which is really helpful. Glad you hit the jackpot!

by G. on Nov 5, 2010 at 10:43 am

7. These look so good and score that they are not made where peanuts are!

by Jennifurla on Nov 5, 2010 at 10:52 am

8. Looks like a little bite of heaven! Wow! Love the flavor combo!

by Rebecca on Nov 5, 2010 at 11:46 am

9. These really sound very good. I’ve got nearly all of the ingredients to make these so I know I’ll be trying them.

by Lisa on Nov 5, 2010 at 11:50 am

10. Oh yum! Love butterscotch and maple together, and they look so chunky & delicious! Thanks for sharing these – bookmarking for later this month!

by Louanne on Nov 5, 2010 at 12:17 pm

11. So jealous you have an Aldi nearby. 🙂 I don’t have one closer than 3 -4 hrs away and I remember they have lots of good bargains. Cookies look great and delicious.

by Tracy on Nov 5, 2010 at 12:47 pm

12. Love anything maple and the sprinkling of sugar just tops them off!
    mickey

by mickey on Nov 5, 2010 at 1:18 pm

13. Oh yum! They look delicious and you are right, you scored on the cloves!

by Erin @ Making Memories on Nov 5, 2010 at 1:29 pm

14. Very cute and I love the flavor combo. My problem is that here in Italy there are neither butterscotch nor white/milk chocolate chips, only dark chocolate ones. I asked a friend in the States to send me some, can’t wait to receive them.

by Dajana on Nov 5, 2010 at 2:21 pm

15. Love the look of your cookies, a nice thickness with crackly tops:) Your beautiful photographs really showcase them! YUM!
    Woo Hoo for finding a great deal on cloves…I love that!

by Sue on Nov 5, 2010 at 2:59 pm

16. Don’t you just love Aldi! I found that same display last weekend!

by Cara on Nov 5, 2010 at 3:28 pm

17. You had me at the maple and then again at butterscotch. These look amazing.

by Eliana on Nov 5, 2010 at 3:52 pm

18. Great combo! I love it. I’m sure the maple compliments the butterscotch perfectly!

by naomi on Nov 5, 2010 at 10:53 pm

19. What a great discovery! LOL. pure maple syrup and butterscotch. Winner!

by Crustabakes on Nov 5, 2010 at 11:55 pm

20. These look so amazing. I love the combination of flavors and am anxious to try them. Have a great weekend!

by Kim @ Quit Eating Out {Recipes to Make Dining Out a Choice, Not a Chore} on Nov 6, 2010 at 6:04 am

21. What beautiful cookies, Tracy, as always!

by The Church Cook on Nov 6, 2010 at 9:22 am

22. these look incredible. I love the combination

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Nov 6, 2010 at 1:44 pm

23. Being an Aldi enthusiest already, I was pleased as punch to see another baker appreciate the value of such a store…the ingredients and supplies bought there and given to friends as gifts over the holidays have always been well received and devoured just as goodies that may cost 5 X’s the amt. Love your site and can’t wait to hit Aldi’s and stock up on these and other things to gear up for my Holiday’s.

by Debi Homminga on Nov 6, 2010 at 3:11 pm

24. These cookies look picture-perfect! A great addition to the holiday baking rotation!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Nov 7, 2010 at 11:03 am

25. I stumbled on your blog via another blogger that follows you, I’m glad I found your blog. Love the yummy cookies, and the beautiful photos as well.
    I seem to have a dilemna. I wanted to grab the linky widget thru your site, and filled out correctly all the info…don’t know why my dish ended on your blog, on the linky thing. So sorry about that. Could you please remove it?…in the meantime I will try to figure out what happened. I do like it though, it makes the blog look more interesting.
    Thanks, for your help, and thanks for sharing!

by elisabeth@foodandthriftfinds on Nov 7, 2010 at 4:33 pm

26. I looked through it again…duhh!-figured out how it works…I throught all these photos were from your blog. It actually does link it to another blog. So Coool-never mind about taking my stuff off, it’s so interesting. This is the first time I came acrooss it, obviously…otherwise I would look like a “fool”…which probably am…LOL
    Great way to connect with other bloggers.
    Thanks~

by elisabeth@foodandthriftfinds on Nov 7, 2010 at 4:41 pm

27. Elisabeth,

Thanks so much; I’m glad you like my blog! Unfortunately I can’t remove your dish from the group – it’s set up through Linky Tools and I don’t control the content (if you look at other people’s blogs participating in the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies, you’ll see your dish on their blogs too). I’d try contacting April, the leader of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies group (www.abbysweets.blogspot.com) and see if she can help. Sorry about that!

by Tracy on Nov 7, 2010 at 4:42 pm

28. Great buy on the cloves! I love finding great deals like that. And so glad you found nut free butterscotch chips to make these deliicious looking cookies. They must be wonderful with those flavors in the them:)

by Raina on Nov 7, 2010 at 9:30 pm

29. These look fantastic!

by Double Dipped Life on Nov 8, 2010 at 11:13 am

30. Butterscotch? Maple? I am so there! This one’s going on my list, too!

by RJ Flamingo on Nov 8, 2010 at 1:36 pm

31. Such fun gorgeous little cookies!!

by Jenny Flake on Nov 8, 2010 at 2:39 pm

32. Oooooh. These are most definitely going on my Christmas baking list.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Nov 8, 2010 at 7:07 pm

33. I was a little hesitant about using that brand from Aldi’s I have never heard of before but they were cheap and so I experienced with them and you would never know that they are not Hershey’s!!! I can’t wait to go there and get some butterscotch chips and bake these cookies!

by Jarrelle on Nov 9, 2010 at 1:20 pm

34. Those cookies look fantastic… I can only imagine how lovely the maple and butterscotch must work together in these cookies. I’ll be adding them to my baking list!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Nov 11, 2010 at 7:14 am

35. these look good, did you get the butterscotch chips from Aldi? We have Aldi in Australia but I dont shop there much and I have never seen butterscotch chips in our other stores.

by Carolyn on Nov 12, 2010 at 12:39 am

36. This is probably one of the best butterscotch cookies blog presentations that I’ve seen posted online. Your photos are outstanding.

I’ll give the recipe a try this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

by Butterscotch Cookies on Jan 14, 2011 at 4:58 am

37. OH MY I have to try these!

by d.liff on Mar 10, 2011 at 11:13 am

38. I only had Grade A maple syrup in the house so I added some maple flavoring as well (1 tsp). What a delicious cookie! Thanks for the great recipe!

by Lauren on Nov 26, 2011 at 4:27 pm

39. Glancing at the instructions I don’t see ginger mentioned. Is that an error in the ingredient list or instructions? Since ginger has a distinct taste to it I want to make sure it is part of the recipe. Otherwise I can’t wait to make these!!

by Ally on Jul 15, 2012 at 6:45 pm

40. Ally – Looks an error in the instructions; you should add in the ginger with the rest of the spices. I’ll update it accordingly. Thanks for letting me know!

by Tracy on Jul 16, 2012 at 1:34 pm