Daring Baker Challenge: Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts

Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts - 4

The October 2010 Daring Bakers challenge was hosted by Lori of Butter Me Up. Lori chose to challenge DBers to make doughnuts. She used several sources for her recipes including Alton Brown, Nancy Silverton, Kate Neumann and Epicurious.

When I saw that this month’s Daring Baker challenge was doughnuts, I was absolutely thrilled! After falling in love with the apple cider doughnut holes I made last month, I decided to order a couple doughnut pans, and baked pumpkin doughnuts were on the top of my list of things to make. In fact, a couple of my friends also ordered doughnut pans around the same time I did…so one Saturday a few weeks ago, we decided to have a doughnut making party at my house! We each came with a recipe for a different kind of doughnut, and we had so much fun baking and chatting (and of course, sampling the doughnuts!). When all the baking was done, we we split up the doughnuts so that we all took home a few of each kind – a perfect way to spend a fall Saturday!

• 2 cups flour
  • 4 Tbsp butter, softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp buttermilk
  • 1 cup pumpkin purée
  • Powdered sugar, for rolling

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease two doughnut pans. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.

Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts - 1

In another medium bowl, cream together the brown sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs one at a time, and then the vanilla extract, buttermilk, and pumpkin. Gradually beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until combined.

Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts - 2

Fill each doughnut mold half full with the batter.

Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts - 3

Bake 8-10 minutes or until the doughnuts spring back when touched. Remove from the pan and cool completely. Roll in powdered sugar, or top with a glaze if desired. My friends also made apple, spice, and chocolate glazed doughnuts – here is a photo of all of our doughnuts together!

Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts - 5

27 Responses to “Daring Baker Challenge: Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts”

1. 1 Asha@FSK Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 2:11 pm

sounds like a fun afternoon.. Perhaps donuts baked in this cakey batter is better than yeasted dough which is what I tried… hmmm .. i suppose I would need the donut pans for it :(

Maybe, I’ll just come over and help myself to your lovely donuts then :D simpler ;-) )

2. 2 Ryan @ Ryan's Baking Blog Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I just bought a doughnut pan last week, I made vanilla bean doughnuts with it. These look great, I also like the apple cider doughnut hole post, I really want to make apple cider doughnuts in my doughnut pan.

3. 3 Jessica @ How Sweet Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 3:42 pm

You are the pumpkin queen!

4. 4 Nicola Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 5:39 pm

They look really good, I’m very impressed! I have to ask about the pumpkin purée though as this is a very American thing I think… do you make the purée yourself or is sold ready done in tins/jars?

5. 5 Jeanne Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 6:10 pm

They all look so tasty! I really wanted to try the pumpkin recipe too, but didn’t have the time. Your doughnuts look so perfect, that pan really does the trick!

6. 6 Jeannie Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Looks beautiful! And a doughnut-making party! How fun!!

7. 7 Lisa Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 9:22 pm

That doughnut making party sounds like so much fun. I’m sure everyone there enjoyed your pumpkin doughnuts. I know I would.

8. 8 Liz @ LBBakes Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I love these! The powdered sugar is a unique twist for pumpkin. :) Wait ’til you see my post for daring bakers this month, clearly we are both a little enthused by pumpkin. ;)

9. 9 Mary Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 9:35 pm

A doughnut-making party sounds fun! We had a doughnut-cooking party, which was okay too. Your doughnuts all look great, and I think I really need to try some pumpkin doughnuts!

10. 10 Jamie Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 10:01 pm

What a fun way to make doughnuts then with a bunch of friends. Your pumpkin ones look so yummy!

11. 11 Katrina Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Great donut recipe. These look amazing!

12. 12 Aparna Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 10:50 pm

YOur doughnuts look perfect. I really ned to try my hand at baked doughnuts next.

13. 13 Deeba Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Excellently done on the challenge! Wish I was at the party . Love the donut pans. WOW!!

14. 14 bake in paris Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 4:58 am

Sounds like a very fun doughnut baking party ……. could judge from the wonderful doughnuts that turned out :-)

Sawadee from Bangkok,
    Kris

15. 15 Kristie Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 9:23 am

Those look so yummy! Do you happen to have the recipes of the other donuts in the picture too? My family is trying new donut recipes each week and these all look so good and would love to try them all :-)

16. 16 Barbara Bakes Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 9:28 am

Now I’m wishing I had a donut pan. Your doughnut making party is such a fun idea!

17. 17 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 9:59 am

Wow these look incredible! Wish I had one right now with my coffee

18. 18 naomi Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Your doughnut looks crazy good! They wouldn’t last long in my house.

19. 19 Lee Ann Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Pumpkin Donuts! I’m hearing angels singing! Oh, that sounds so so good!!

20. 20 Summer Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 5:34 pm

U sure had fun with these absolutely delish donuts?!

21. 21 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 7:37 pm

You were so smart to make baked doughnuts instead of frying! I’m convinced that my house still smells like oil (even though I have scrubbed and scrubbed the kitchen!). These look lovely… and, of course, I love that they are pumpkin!

22. 22 Cakelaw Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 2:13 am

I love this pumpkin version – and being baked, it sounds like the healthy alternative.

23. 23 Raina Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 8:32 am

I really have to get one of those pans. Donuts are my favorite. Yours look beautiful and delicious:)

24. 24 Christine Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Oh, my…. I need to make these asap. For breakfast on Halloween at the latest!

I don’t know if I can wait to buy a donut pan. I may have to try this recipe in a mini bundt pan that I have. They might end a little oddly shaped, but who cares!

25. 25 Rosa Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Those look so pretty and delicious! Great job. I love that pan.

Cheers,

Rosa

26. 26 make my day Says:
    November 3rd, 2010 at 12:27 am

I love them rolled in the powdered sugar…..you have to lick your fingers after eating which makes them even more of a treat right?!! cheers kari

27. 27 pkc57 Says:
    October 11th, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Made these for probably the dozenth time this morning. Love them!