Spicy Apple Salsa

Spicy Apple Salsa - 2

I was a little bummed that this month’s Tigress Can Jam theme wasn’t apples, since I’ve been canning them like crazy – namely my apple maple butter, which is my dad’s personal favorite. Alas, the theme was chili peppers, although any fruit of the plant family capsicum was eligible for use in our recipes. I decided that it might be fun to try out another salsa since I was pretty happy with the first one I canned, and then I had another thought – why not make apple salsa? I still had a few to use up from when we went apple picking, and I thought the sweetness of the apples would nicely balance the hotness from the peppers. I adapted my recipe from one in the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, and I loved the way it turned out. It’s perfect for eating with tortilla chips, or even spreading on a bagel if you want to kick breakfast up a notch!

• 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 3 cups apples, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2 jalapeño peppers, finely chopped (remove the seeds if you want less heat)
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 1/2 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

In a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, combine the vinegar and apples. Add in the onion, jalapeño peppers, red pepper, cilantro, honey, garlic, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat. Boil gently until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.

When ready to can, prepare your supplies. Bring the temperature of the glass jars up by processing them in hot water for several minutes. Heat a few cups of water in a small saucepan for the lids.

When the jars are ready, ladle hot salsa into the jars, leaving 1/2″ headspace at the top of the jar and place the lids and bands on top, screwing on the bands just to fingertip-tight. Place the full jars back into the boiling water and boil 15 minutes. Remove from the water and place the jars on a towel, and let the jars cool. The seals should suck down (you’ll hear a popping noise as they do). Makes 2 eight-ounce jars.

31 Responses to “Spicy Apple Salsa”

1. 1 Small Town Runner Karen Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 9:41 am

Sounds yummy! I like the idea of the sweet and spicy together. My mother in law made a fantabulous peach salsa this summer. I imagine that the apple salsa would be equally as good.

2. 2 Jessica @ How Sweet Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 9:44 am

I love apples and love salsa! This sounds wonderful.

3. 3 Evan @swEEts Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 9:44 am

This sounds/looks delicious! i got into a canning kick this summer and we’re still trying to get through the jars we have in the cupboard! But I may have to break out the canning tools for this!

4. 4 Simone @HamburchBackblech Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 9:45 am

oh, i loooove your jars!
    always want to preserve fruit and vegetables, but my last pumpkin chutney is already one year ago … but love looking at your creations! sunny greetings from hamburg/germany!

5. 5 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 9:49 am

This is definitely interesting! I’ve got an abundance of apples from going picking last weekend. I’ve already made apple rhubarb chutney, so this could definitely be a good addition to that.

6. 6 maggy@threemanycooks Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 10:40 am

Wow, I think I’m in love! This looks delicious :) I went apple picking with Amber, so I think this will be in our TO DO list!

7. 7 Cookin' Canuck Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 10:41 am

What a fantastic idea! I can imagine how good this salsa would taste over a white fish or chicken.

8. 8 Maria Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 10:56 am

Great idea! I can’t wait to try this salsa!

9. 9 Susan Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 11:57 am

I could get into this! Love apple in salsa…thanks!

10. 10 Lisa Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 12:40 pm

This sounds awesome. I’ve never heard of this before but love the idea. I’m always craving spicy food.

11. 11 Michelle Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Love the adaption from the Hot Pepper Jelly that is one of my favorites for sure!

12. 12 Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Apple salsa, I would have never imagined that. Tracy, you’re a whole world of inspiration.

13. 13 Jen @ How To: Simplify Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I would love to sit down with a bag of tortilla chips and a massive bowl of this salsa. It looks and sounds absolutely incredible!

14. 14 Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 8:22 pm

I absolutely love sweet and spicy salsas, and this one sounds awesome!

15. 15 Katrina Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Great salsa recipe!!

16. 16 megan @ whatmegansmaking Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 8:51 pm

I never would have thought to make apple salsa until I saw this post. And now I can’t imagine how I haven’t had it yet! It sounds absolutely delicious :)

17. 17 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. Says:
    October 21st, 2010 at 10:49 am

Fabulous idea! I love this!

18. 18 Jennifurla Says:
    October 21st, 2010 at 11:14 am

So very inventive Tracy! I love the look of it too, now I would love to make a sweet apple salsa too for cinnamon chips! Yum, thanks for sharing.

19. 19 bridget {bake at 350} Says:
    October 21st, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I bet this is amazing!

20. 20 Cathy (breadexperience) Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 10:35 am

What a great idea! This is one I must try. I have some apples that are waiting for me to do something with them.

I was also a little bummed about this month’s challenge, but we have to think outside the box sometimes don’t we. Thanks for the recipe.

21. 21 shaaron martin Says:
    May 30th, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I decided to look online and see if there was an apple salsa recipe. I didn’t know if I’d actually find one but there were several. Yours looks and sounds the best. I’m making some now! Thanks and I’ll let you know how it turns out.

22. 22 Mary Says:
    January 29th, 2013 at 2:57 pm

how long would this last in fridge if you didn’t want t can (jar)

23. 23 Tracy Says:
    January 29th, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Mary – It should last 2-3 weeks if stored in the refrigerator.

24. 24 Mary Says:
    January 29th, 2013 at 7:12 pm

awesome thank you

25. 25 Judy Merrill-Smith Says:
    September 12th, 2013 at 10:18 pm

I’ve been blessed with a huge surplus of apples, and have been trying some unusual canning recipes. This salsa is delicious! Definitely spicy – if you want a milder salsa, skip the crushed red pepper and reduce the jalapenos. I bet it would be great with habanero peppers if you’re a super chile fiend. Thank you for sharing your discovery!

26. 26 Courtney Says:
    September 24th, 2013 at 10:52 am

Who has actually tried this? How did it turn out? was it more like a cutney or a salsa you would use on chips? Did you use tart or sweet apples? did they hold their shape?

27. 27 Adrienne Says:
    October 8th, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Courtney – I am wondering the same thing :)

I’ve also read so many concerns about adapting canning recipes, so wondering how it turned out. Just found this site, but it appears to be the only one that legitimately knows what’s going on when adapting recipes. would love to hear how people’s turned out. Thanks, Tracey!

28. 28 Tracy Says:
    October 9th, 2013 at 11:28 am

Courtney and Adrienne – It looks like the person who commented right before you tried it out. In my opinion, it’s definitely more like a salsa than a chutney, and yes it was great with chips! I used a sweet-tart variety of apple and found that the small chunks held their shape pretty well. Hope that helps!

29. 29 Andi Says:
    October 12th, 2013 at 9:25 pm

We tried this this weekend. We used two jalepnos like recommended and took the seeds out of one, left all the seeds of the other. It was a very plain and neutral salsa, nobody was really impressed with it. Probably should have kept the seeds of both jalepenos. I think my tastes would prefer a spicy and sweet salsa, so add some sugar or something. It’s probably a good recipe to start salsa with and then adjust as needed. Thanks!

30. 30 4k Says:
    May 26th, 2014 at 12:21 pm

This sounds really great! Your apple maple butter also sounds yummy, is it posted on your blog somewhere? Couldn’t find it!

31. 31 RJBridgen Says:
    September 19th, 2014 at 8:16 pm

This turned out quite good. I ended up adding some sugar because the apples I used were very tart. My husband loves it.