Spicy Apple Salsa

Spicy Apple Salsa - 2

I was a little bummed that this month’s Tigress Can Jam theme wasn’t apples, since I’ve been canning them like crazy – namely my apple maple butter, which is my dad’s personal favorite. Alas, the theme was chili peppers, although any fruit of the plant family capsicum was eligible for use in our recipes. I decided that it might be fun to try out another salsa since I was pretty happy with the first one I canned, and then I had another thought – why not make apple salsa? I still had a few to use up from when we went apple picking, and I thought the sweetness of the apples would nicely balance the hotness from the peppers. I adapted my recipe from one in the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, and I loved the way it turned out. It’s perfect for eating with tortilla chips, or even spreading on a bagel if you want to kick breakfast up a notch!

In a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, combine the vinegar and apples. Add in the onion, jalapeño peppers, red pepper, cilantro, honey, garlic, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat. Boil gently until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.

When ready to can, prepare your supplies. Bring the temperature of the glass jars up by processing them in hot water for several minutes. Heat a few cups of water in a small saucepan for the lids.

When the jars are ready, ladle hot salsa into the jars, leaving 1/2″ headspace at the top of the jar and place the lids and bands on top, screwing on the bands just to fingertip-tight. Place the full jars back into the boiling water and boil 15 minutes. Remove from the water and place the jars on a towel, and let the jars cool. The seals should suck down (you’ll hear a popping noise as they do). Makes 2 eight-ounce jars.

Posted by on October 20, 2010.

Tags: , ,

Categories: canning

1. Sounds yummy! I like the idea of the sweet and spicy together. My mother in law made a fantabulous peach salsa this summer. I imagine that the apple salsa would be equally as good.

by Small Town Runner Karen on Oct 20, 2010 at 9:41 am

2. I love apples and love salsa! This sounds wonderful.

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Oct 20, 2010 at 9:44 am

3. This sounds/looks delicious! i got into a canning kick this summer and we’re still trying to get through the jars we have in the cupboard! But I may have to break out the canning tools for this!

by Evan @swEEts on Oct 20, 2010 at 9:44 am

4. oh, i loooove your jars!
    always want to preserve fruit and vegetables, but my last pumpkin chutney is already one year ago … but love looking at your creations! sunny greetings from hamburg/germany!

by Simone @HamburchBackblech on Oct 20, 2010 at 9:45 am

5. This is definitely interesting! I’ve got an abundance of apples from going picking last weekend. I’ve already made apple rhubarb chutney, so this could definitely be a good addition to that.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Oct 20, 2010 at 9:49 am

6. Wow, I think I’m in love! This looks delicious 🙂 I went apple picking with Amber, so I think this will be in our TO DO list!

by maggy@threemanycooks on Oct 20, 2010 at 10:40 am

7. What a fantastic idea! I can imagine how good this salsa would taste over a white fish or chicken.

by Cookin' Canuck on Oct 20, 2010 at 10:41 am

8. Great idea! I can’t wait to try this salsa!

by Maria on Oct 20, 2010 at 10:56 am

9. I could get into this! Love apple in salsa…thanks!

by Susan on Oct 20, 2010 at 11:57 am

10. This sounds awesome. I’ve never heard of this before but love the idea. I’m always craving spicy food.

by Lisa on Oct 20, 2010 at 12:40 pm

11. Love the adaption from the Hot Pepper Jelly that is one of my favorites for sure!

by Michelle on Oct 20, 2010 at 1:14 pm

12. Apple salsa, I would have never imagined that. Tracy, you’re a whole world of inspiration.

by Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon on Oct 20, 2010 at 1:21 pm

13. I would love to sit down with a bag of tortilla chips and a massive bowl of this salsa. It looks and sounds absolutely incredible!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Oct 20, 2010 at 1:28 pm

14. I absolutely love sweet and spicy salsas, and this one sounds awesome!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Oct 20, 2010 at 8:22 pm

15. Great salsa recipe!!

by Katrina on Oct 20, 2010 at 8:34 pm

16. I never would have thought to make apple salsa until I saw this post. And now I can’t imagine how I haven’t had it yet! It sounds absolutely delicious 🙂

by megan @ whatmegansmaking on Oct 20, 2010 at 8:51 pm

17. Fabulous idea! I love this!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Oct 21, 2010 at 10:49 am

18. So very inventive Tracy! I love the look of it too, now I would love to make a sweet apple salsa too for cinnamon chips! Yum, thanks for sharing.

by Jennifurla on Oct 21, 2010 at 11:14 am

19. I bet this is amazing!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Oct 21, 2010 at 3:40 pm

20. What a great idea! This is one I must try. I have some apples that are waiting for me to do something with them.

I was also a little bummed about this month’s challenge, but we have to think outside the box sometimes don’t we. Thanks for the recipe.

by Cathy (breadexperience) on Oct 27, 2010 at 10:35 am

21. I decided to look online and see if there was an apple salsa recipe. I didn’t know if I’d actually find one but there were several. Yours looks and sounds the best. I’m making some now! Thanks and I’ll let you know how it turns out.

by shaaron martin on May 30, 2012 at 2:51 pm

22. how long would this last in fridge if you didn’t want t can (jar)

by Mary on Jan 29, 2013 at 2:57 pm

23. Mary – It should last 2-3 weeks if stored in the refrigerator.

by Tracy on Jan 29, 2013 at 5:00 pm

24. awesome thank you

by Mary on Jan 29, 2013 at 7:12 pm

25. I’ve been blessed with a huge surplus of apples, and have been trying some unusual canning recipes. This salsa is delicious! Definitely spicy – if you want a milder salsa, skip the crushed red pepper and reduce the jalapenos. I bet it would be great with habanero peppers if you’re a super chile fiend. Thank you for sharing your discovery!

by Judy Merrill-Smith on Sep 12, 2013 at 10:18 pm

26. Who has actually tried this? How did it turn out? was it more like a cutney or a salsa you would use on chips? Did you use tart or sweet apples? did they hold their shape?

by Courtney on Sep 24, 2013 at 10:52 am

27. Courtney – I am wondering the same thing 🙂

I’ve also read so many concerns about adapting canning recipes, so wondering how it turned out. Just found this site, but it appears to be the only one that legitimately knows what’s going on when adapting recipes. would love to hear how people’s turned out. Thanks, Tracey!

by Adrienne on Oct 8, 2013 at 10:48 pm

28. Courtney and Adrienne – It looks like the person who commented right before you tried it out. In my opinion, it’s definitely more like a salsa than a chutney, and yes it was great with chips! I used a sweet-tart variety of apple and found that the small chunks held their shape pretty well. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Oct 9, 2013 at 11:28 am

29. We tried this this weekend. We used two jalepnos like recommended and took the seeds out of one, left all the seeds of the other. It was a very plain and neutral salsa, nobody was really impressed with it. Probably should have kept the seeds of both jalepenos. I think my tastes would prefer a spicy and sweet salsa, so add some sugar or something. It’s probably a good recipe to start salsa with and then adjust as needed. Thanks!

by Andi on Oct 12, 2013 at 9:25 pm

30. This sounds really great! Your apple maple butter also sounds yummy, is it posted on your blog somewhere? Couldn’t find it!

by 4k on May 26, 2014 at 12:21 pm

31. This turned out quite good. I ended up adding some sugar because the apples I used were very tart. My husband loves it.

by RJBridgen on Sep 19, 2014 at 8:16 pm

32. I tried this and it turned out swell. I was thrilled by the idea of making a salsa that had no tomatoes and making something else out of my apples that was not sweet. I didn’t add the crushed red peppers which is good because I found it just spicy enough without them. The apples did hold their texture well and it tasted good with chips or crackers.

by Alice on Sep 11, 2016 at 8:47 pm

33. I read your view of Apple salsa & agreed that most recipes use tomatoes & like you I wanted a more pure ‘apple salsa’. I was delighted to have found your recipe & was not disappointed! It was spicy (tho I left out the jalapeno seeds), sweet & YUMMY. I opted to NOT use cumin as I find it often overpowers flavors.
    Thanks for a great recipe!

by chris owen on Oct 7, 2016 at 10:55 am