Pumpkin Bagels

Pumpkin Bagels - 8

Ever since I made pumpkin pancakes for breakfast, I’ve had pumpkin bagels on my mind. There are tons of recipes out there of course, but any other bagels I’ve made (or eaten, for that matter) just don’t hold a candle to Peter Reinhardt’s bagels (except for the bagels that one of my in-law’s neighbors brings back from his bagel shop in New York city – those come pretty darn close). When I made Reinhardt’s bagels last year for the first time, I fell in love with their chewy, crispy exterior and soft, flavorful interior, so I decided that I’d just have to adapt the original recipe for my pumpkin version. Since pumpkin has water content, there needs to be an adjustment of the moisture in the recipe, which I’ve shared below. The bagels turned out wonderfully! Not only did they taste of spices and fall, but they still had the same great texture that I love so much about them. I topped them with pumpkin seeds, but you can use whatever toppings you like. Make them today and enjoy delicious, authentic bagels!

Recipe adapted from The Bread Baker’s Apprentice by Peter Reinhart.

The Sponge

• 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 tsp malt powder

For Finishing

• 1 Tbsp baking soda
  • Cornmeal
  • Pumpkin seeds (optional)

First, make the sponge. Add the flour to a large mixing bowl, and then add the yeast. Mix until the mixture is smooth.

Pumpkin Bagels - 1

Cover it and let it rise for about 2 hours. The sponge will about double in size and will be very bubbly.

Pumpkin Bagels - 2

Next, make the dough. Mix the additional yeast into the sponge. Add 3 cups of the flour and the pumpkin, salt, spices, and malt powder. Stir until you have incorporated everything into the dough, and then add the last 3/4 cup of flour. The dough will stiffen. Now, move the dough to the counter and knead. It’ll take about 10 minutes for the dough to acquire a smooth yet firm quality. If the dough seems too dry, wet your fingertips and work the water into the dough. If too sticky, add a bit more flour. The dough should be smooth and pliable when you are done.

Pumpkin Bagels - 3

At this point, divide the dough. The recipe will yield 12 large or 24 mini bagels.

Pumpkin Bagels - 4

Cover the dough with a damp cloth for about 20 minutes. In the meantime, line sheet pans with parchment paper, and spray them with cooking spray. Shape the bagels by poking a hole in the center of the dough and gently working it out with your thumb, so that the hole is about 2 inches in diameter. Place each bagel on the pans 2 inches apart, and spray them (lightly) with cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap and let them sit for another 20 minutes.

Pumpkin Bagels - 5

Next, use the “float test” to see if the bagels are ready to be retarded in the refrigerator. Fill a small bowl with cool water and drop one of the bagels in. If it floats within 10 seconds, return it to the pan (pat dry), cover, and place the bagels in the refrigerator overnight. If the bagel does not float, keep checking back every 10-20 minutes or so until it does.

When you are ready to make the bagels, get a large pot of water on the stove and preheat the oven to 500 degrees. When the water is at a rolling boil, add the baking soda and a little bit of the malt powder. Drop the bagels a few at a time into the boiling water, and let boil for 1 or 2 minutes per side (the longer they boil, the chewier they will be). Sprinkle the parchment paper with cornmeal, and place the bagels back on the paper using a slotted spoon. Sprinkle on the pumpkin seeds (or topping of your choice).

Pumpkin Bagels - 6

When all of the bagels are topped and ready to go, place the pans in the oven. Bake for 5 minutes, then rotate the pans 180 degrees, switching racks. Bake 5-10 minutes longer before removing the pans, and place the bagels on a cooling rack.

Pumpkin Bagels - 7

Cool about 15 minutes. Enjoy with cream cheese!

Pumpkin Bagels - 9

28 Responses to “Pumpkin Bagels”

1. 1 Tiffany Says:
    October 13th, 2010 at 10:04 am

tracy these look delicious! what a yummy fall breakfast… the sprinkling of seeds makes them beautiful!

2. 2 Jessica @ How Sweet Says:
    October 13th, 2010 at 10:05 am

This is one pumpkin treat that I have never seen nor heard of! I love that you went outside the box. They looks fabulous.

3. 3 maggy@threemanycooks Says:
    October 13th, 2010 at 10:11 am

Ok, I give up. You are officially more obsessed with pumpkin than me. I am speechless! These look incredible :)

4. 4 Amber Says:
    October 13th, 2010 at 11:00 am

Girl, bagel making intimidates the hell out of me! But it looks good on you ;)

5. 5 Jenny Flake Says:
    October 13th, 2010 at 11:18 am

This looks so delish and with your step by step photos totally doable!

6. 6 Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} Says:
    October 13th, 2010 at 11:36 am

I love pumpkin bagels, yours look fantastic. I can just about smell the goodness! Love your step by step..makes it seem easy enough to try :)

7. 7 Lisa Says:
    October 13th, 2010 at 11:51 am

That’s wonderful that you were able to so perfectly adapt your recipe to make these. The results certainly look delicious. I think these could become my new favorite bagel.

8. 8 Melanie Says:
    October 13th, 2010 at 12:03 pm

I’ve never made bagels myself before. Looking at your great step-by-step instructions and pics, I think maybe I too can just go ahead and do it! Your bagels look wonderful.

9. 9 Jen @ How To: Simplify Says:
    October 13th, 2010 at 2:10 pm

You and your fall recipes…they’re all amazing! I have never had a pumpkin bagel so I can’t wait to try this recipe!

10. 10 Liz @ LBBakes Says:
    October 13th, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Oh my gosh, this is my dream bagel!!

11. 11 bridget {bake at 350} Says:
    October 13th, 2010 at 3:45 pm

You MADE pumpkin bagels. You amaze me with every post, girl!!! I am serious about that whole “showing-up-unannounced-on-your-doorstep” thing. Now more than ever.

12. 12 Paula Says:
    October 13th, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Your bagels look great. I admire you for adapting the recipe to work with pumpkin! I have never been brave enough to attempt bagels, breads yes, but beautiful round bagels such a you did…ummm no. Thanks for posting the recipe, should I ever get the courage, these will definitely be ones I try.

13. 13 Maria Says:
    October 13th, 2010 at 6:59 pm

What a great bagel flavor! Nice job on these!

14. 14 Cookin' Canuck Says:
    October 13th, 2010 at 7:12 pm

What a fabulous recipe, Tracy. I honestly can’t wait to try this! A good dose of nutmeg is a “must” in pumpkin treats like these.

15. 15 Lori Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 8:29 am

Bravo to you for making bagels. I have been wanting to make them for months but the task seems daunting.

16. 16 faithy Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 9:42 am

You’re so creative to adapt the recipe and make it to your own flavor! I would not have dared to do that since i’m not too familiar with bread. :) I LOVE bagel too..esp. with cream cheese..i have to try making them one of these days (now my to-bake list is getting longer!)

17. 17 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Just saw some pumpkin bagels today at a shop in Atlanta while I was there. Perfect time for this recipe!

18. 18 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Mmm… Yum! I have never actually made bagels, but I really should. I’m not sure what’s holding me back. These pumpkin bagels might have been the inspiration I needed. I do love pumpkin! :)

19. 19 Katy | Alphabet Soup Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. Love these!! I am going to have to try these. Most definitely!! :) I’m thinking with cinnamon cream cheese.

20. 20 karen day Says:
    October 15th, 2010 at 6:36 am

Pumpkin addicts unite! Wow! I want to make these but I have an embarressing question, what is malt powder and where do you buy it?

21. 21 Katrina Says:
    October 15th, 2010 at 7:22 am

Fun! These bagels look amazing!

22. 22 Tracy Says:
    October 15th, 2010 at 9:03 am

Karen – That’s not an embarrassing question at all! Reinhardt says that the malt powder is added to get that authentic bagel texture and flavor. It can sometimes be tricky to find…I found mine at a local specialty baking store, but I’ve also found it in the natural food section at the grocery store. If you can’t find it, you can absolutely leave it out and still make perfectly delicious bagels!

23. 23 Courtney Says:
    October 16th, 2010 at 7:57 am

Wow.. pumpkin bagels? Now I just need a cup of apple cider and I’m set! These looks and sound awesome.

24. 24 Ingrid Says:
    October 16th, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Pumpkin bagels look wonderful! Yum!

25. 25 Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker Says:
    October 18th, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Awesome adaptation of Peter Reinhart’s bagels! I love his recipe and make the originals, cinnamon sugar and egg bagels often. I am definitely going to add pumpkin to my rotation!

26. 26 Ivonne Says:
    October 18th, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Oh these are just brilliant! I’ve only made bagels once and you’ve inspired me to try again!

27. 27 Cheryl Says:
    October 19th, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Made these bagels this morning. My new favorite!

28. 28 Lindsey Says:
    February 28th, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I cannot wait to make these! I love pumpkin everything!