Farfalle with Roasted Butternut Squash, Sage, and Creamy Pumpkin Sauce

Farfalle with Butternut Squash and Roasted Pumpkin Sauce - 6

Last week, it was beginning to get a little crowded in my kitchen – I had more squash than I knew what to do with! Mostly butternut squash, but acorn and buttercup squash, too. In fact, I had to politely decline any type of squash at our CSA last week even though the fields are practically bursting with it; hubby and I just don’t go through it fast enough and I didn’t want to see it go to waste. I spent a while after that searching for sweet squash recipes, but nothing sounded good to me. So, I changed my focus and decided to listen to what I was craving…and instead of something sweet, I was craving something savory! This is one of those meals where I simply threw everything that sounded good to me into the mix, and it turned out wonderfully. It doesn’t take long to come together either, especially if you prep the squash ahead of time. Give it a try for dinner tonight!

For the pumpkin cream sauce:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Toss the squash with the chopped sage and maple syrup.

Farfalle with Butternut Squash and Roasted Pumpkin Sauce - 2

Bake about 15 minutes and then toss the squash again. Bake 15 minutes longer or until the squash is tender.

Farfalle with Butternut Squash and Roasted Pumpkin Sauce - 3

In the meantime, cook the pasta according to package directions.

Farfalle with Butternut Squash and Roasted Pumpkin Sauce - 5

To make the pumpkin cream sauce, heat the cream over low-medium heat. Stir in the rest of the sauce ingredients until thickened slightly (mine got a little thicker than I would have liked, but don’t worry, the flavor doesn’t suffer at all).

Farfalle with Butternut Squash and Roasted Pumpkin Sauce - 4

Toss the squash with the pasta and cream sauce. Serve immediately.

Farfalle with Butternut Squash and Roasted Pumpkin Sauce - 7

Posted by on October 11, 2010.

Tags: , ,

Categories: dinner

1. Now this is my kind of pasta!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Oct 11, 2010 at 9:43 am

2. I am on a butternut squash and pasta kick at the moment, this looks great! Love the sage!

by Souffle Bombay on Oct 11, 2010 at 9:49 am

3. Incredible dish!!!! I have wanted to make pumpkin sauce for pasta for a long time!

by Jennifer @ Maple n Cornbread on Oct 11, 2010 at 9:51 am

4. Wow this looks and sounds delicious. The only thing i’d change to make it skinny is use reduced-fat milk or evaporated skim milk to replace the cream. Yummy…thanks for sharing1

by nancy@skinnykitchen.com on Oct 11, 2010 at 10:03 am

5. I just printed this recipe! We have a HUGE pumpkin that we’ve been trying to find different recipes for! Thanks so much :)

by Evan @swEEts on Oct 11, 2010 at 10:19 am

6. Great sauce. I can’t wait to try this one!

by Maria on Oct 11, 2010 at 10:21 am

7. Love it! I can’t wait to give it a go. Maybe I’ll add a handful of toasted pepitas or walnuts on top! Mmmmm!

by Christine on Oct 11, 2010 at 11:46 am

8. Tracy, this would be a lovely dinner to come home to on a chilly fall day.

by Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon on Oct 11, 2010 at 12:55 pm

9. Oh my goodness…this looks like such a comforting dish. What a great fall recipe!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Oct 11, 2010 at 1:30 pm

10. The Pumpkin Cream Sauce sounds incredible!

by Michelle on Oct 11, 2010 at 2:50 pm

11. This pasta looks soooo amazing. I really need to try pumpkin sauce!

by Katrina on Oct 11, 2010 at 3:59 pm

12. This sounds incredible. So many wonderful fall flavors combined in one dish. Plus, the roasted butternut squash looks so pretty sitting on top of the pasta.

by Lisa on Oct 11, 2010 at 5:17 pm

13. I love butternut squash and this is such a great pasta dish with the addition of sage and a pumpkin cream sauce! I can’t wait to try this.

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Oct 11, 2010 at 5:31 pm

14. Lovely photos! This cream sauce sounds to-die-for, particularly with the fresh sage.

by Cookin' Canuck on Oct 11, 2010 at 6:08 pm

15. Pumpkin cream sauce is just genius! Love the look of all that pumpkin all diced up on the cookie sheet.

by marla {family fresh cooking} on Oct 11, 2010 at 9:07 pm

16. You never let me down with these delicious fall recipes! Love this one.

Oh, and I think we have the same baking sheets. Just thought I’d mention that :)

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Oct 11, 2010 at 10:26 pm

17. What a dinner! I would devour this one!

by Jenny Flake on Oct 11, 2010 at 11:31 pm

18. Wow! This looks like dinner to me. Love pumpkin, love butternut squash. YUM! :)

by maggy@threemanycooks on Oct 12, 2010 at 8:13 am

19. This looks amazing. Great recipe!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Oct 12, 2010 at 9:23 am

20. Wow, Tracy, that looks delicious! Have you thought of curried squash or pumpkin soup? That is some gooooood stuff. And it can be frozen, so you could make a lot and give it away to friends.

by Amber on Oct 12, 2010 at 10:24 am

21. You had me at cream and sage, but add butternut squash and pumpkin-I’m making this! Love it. Great Fall dish.

by naomi on Oct 12, 2010 at 1:37 pm

22. This looks great! I love the combination of pasta and pumpkin…yum!

by newlywed on Oct 12, 2010 at 7:26 pm

23. Yum!! Going to make this with some chicken sausage!

by Sarah on Oct 12, 2010 at 7:27 pm

24. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. I am licking my computer screen. *bliss*

by Wenderly on Oct 12, 2010 at 9:50 pm

25. Oh I love recipes like this, kind of sweet and savory together. Love squash in pasta – well in anything vaguely Italian! – and the luscious sauce compliments it perfectly.

by Jamie on Oct 13, 2010 at 6:48 am

26. Oooo, interesting! If you get a lot of extra squash from your CSA, you can always cook it up and puree it, and then freeze it. We did that one year with pumpkin, and it was great to be able to pull it out of the freezer and make a pie or whatever — any time of year! (How fun is it to have homemade pumpkin pie in February or April?!)

by Small Town Runner Karen on Oct 13, 2010 at 8:38 am

27. This sounds and looks delicious. You are so creative with your use of squash and pumpkin. You really have me in the fall mood:)

by Raina on Oct 13, 2010 at 9:22 am

28. MMMM… I have a love hate thing with sage, but this looks sooo good. Wish I had not pureed all of the squash I did…. but then the whole combination would dress up nicely as a ravioli dish. Butternut goo and parm on the inside, sage and garlic cream sauce on the outside…

by Nadine on Oct 13, 2010 at 6:09 pm

29. I am guessing the roasted squash would be good as a side dish on its own too. Pork, wild rice and roasted squash, then pasta the next night.

by Nadine on Oct 13, 2010 at 6:15 pm

30. I love butternut squash! This looks like on I will try!

by Ingrid on Oct 16, 2010 at 4:42 pm

31. This is seriously the perfect Fall pasta. It looks so comforting and super delicious.

by Eliana on Oct 22, 2010 at 2:36 pm

32. Hi,

I just made this tonight, and it was DELICIOUS! Thanks so much!

by Adia on Nov 11, 2011 at 8:07 pm

33. I made this the other night, and it was hands-down phenomenal. Thanks for such a great recipe! I blogged about it too :)

by Sarah @ a Dash and a Pinch on Nov 19, 2011 at 1:30 pm