Pumpkin Cornbread

Pumpkin Cornbread - 7

Even though we had a rogue 80-degree day yesterday, I’m still craving the comfort food I turn to when chillier days arrive. Soup, hot sandwiches, and chili are among my top cravings, and since I’m making chili this weekend, I thought I should experiment with some new sides ahead of time. Rather than make traditional cornbread, I thought, why not throw a little pumpkin in? A bit of molasses and a few spices later, I put a delightfully fall twist on my favorite cornbread recipe. If you’re like me and you love anything pumpkin, give this a try with your next bowl of chili!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease an 8×8″ baking dish. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, spices, brown sugar, and cornmeal.

Pumpkin Cornbread - 1

In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs, and then stir in the pumpkin, oil, and molasses.

Pumpkin Cornbread - 2

Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined, and then pour the batter into the pan, smoothing out the top as much as possible.

Pumpkin Cornbread - 3

Pumpkin Cornbread - 4

Bake 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Pumpkin Cornbread - 5

Serve warm with chili!

Pumpkin Cornbread - 6

Posted by on September 25, 2010.

Categories: breads & pastries

1. I love your twist combining pumpkin bread with corn bread. Looks moist & amazing! Wish we had some here for breakfast today.

by marla {family fresh cooking} on Sep 25, 2010 at 10:27 am

2. Hey cool idea, I will have to give this a try soon

by Jennifurla on Sep 25, 2010 at 11:08 am

3. I love pumpkin everything and your idea to add cornbread sounds wonderful!

by nancy@skinnykitchen on Sep 25, 2010 at 11:09 am

4. I really like this idea! Great combo Pumpkin and corn bread. I am sure it tastes amazing. I will make a note of it.

by My Kitchen in the Rockies on Sep 25, 2010 at 11:46 am

5. I just decided I wanted to make cornbread this morning!! I must make this.

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Sep 25, 2010 at 12:44 pm

6. What a happy combination….love this!

by Avril on Sep 25, 2010 at 1:26 pm

7. I love love love pumpkin cornbread! I made it for the first time last winter and fell in love with it, so great with chilli!

by Jennifer @ Maple n Cornbread on Sep 25, 2010 at 2:30 pm

8. I just made Chili & Cornbread the other night! Lazy way thou..due to just have to have those nights. I always doctor it up thou..This will definitely be a pumpkin recipe I must try ! Thanks for adding to my pumpkin recipes to try file!:) Love Pumpkin in everything but pie..it’s a texture thing I guess..I know weird!

by Sharon on Sep 25, 2010 at 4:11 pm

9. Fantastic recipe! I’ve been attempting to put pumpkin in pretty much everything, so I will definitely be making this pumpkin cornbread sometime soon.

by Lauren on Sep 25, 2010 at 5:50 pm

10. You are SO smart! what a great idea and it looks beautiful!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Sep 25, 2010 at 7:07 pm

11. Oh yeah, this sounds delicious! Sounds like the perfect compliment to soup and chili.

by Amanda on Sep 25, 2010 at 8:19 pm

12. Pumpkin cornbread sounds delicious. Great idea! You are so creative. You are getting me in the fall mood:)

by Raina on Sep 25, 2010 at 8:35 pm

13. This looks so great! I think I’ll try it in my cast iron skillet? Maybe…

Sounds (and looks) delicious, I’m going to give it a shot :) !

by Pretty. Good. Food. on Sep 25, 2010 at 9:26 pm

14. Wow, this sounds interesting, but in a good way! I needed some kind of bread to serve with dinner tomorrow. I think I will try this. I love anything pumpkin. Thanks for sharing.

by JENN on Sep 25, 2010 at 11:41 pm

15. Brilliant idea Tracy! Perfect for the fall and winter seasons. You are a girl after my own heart! Wonderful post!

by Renee (Kudos Kitchen) on Sep 26, 2010 at 8:33 am

16. What a fun way to change up cornbread. I’ve seen so many great pumpkin recipes lately. I need to get busy.

by Barbara Bakes on Sep 26, 2010 at 10:34 am

17. I LOVE this idea. Looks incredible!! I have bookedmarked this!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Sep 26, 2010 at 1:09 pm

18. Pumpkin and cornbread is the same sentence?! I am in love! I HAVE to make this soon! Yummy…thanks for sharing! :)

by Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen on Sep 26, 2010 at 1:15 pm

19. Yum! What a great idea for cornbread!!

by Katrina on Sep 26, 2010 at 5:23 pm

20. How cool!! You are so creative with this sort or thing, I would have never in a million years thought to do that!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Sep 27, 2010 at 8:59 am

21. I love pumpkin everything! I am positive I would love this too.

by Cupcake Activist on Sep 27, 2010 at 1:03 pm

22. This is just brilliant! I love that you use pumpkin as much as I do :)

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Sep 27, 2010 at 1:59 pm

23. This is the most unique use of pumpkin I have seen this season and I love it! Can’t wait to try this one out.

by Eliana on Sep 27, 2010 at 2:36 pm

24. I just made this and I loved it! I am going to make this again and again! Check out my blog to see my results http://eatcakefordinner.blogspot.com/2010/09/pumpkin-cornbread.html, except my picture doesn’t even compare to yours. Thanks for the recipe!

by JENN@eatcakefordinner.blogspot.com on Sep 27, 2010 at 8:40 pm

25. What a great idea! I am going to try this next week. Thanks!

by Steph@PlainChicken on Sep 30, 2010 at 10:16 am

26. i’m avoiding refined sugar, so i’m wondering if i could delete the brown sugar and up the molasses. i’m thinking that i’d need more dry ingredients to compensate for the increase in moisture. suggestions?

by jenn on Sep 30, 2010 at 1:30 pm

27. I absolutely love the idea of pumpkin cornbread! I live in LA and it’s been in the 90s and even 100s all week long. Fall seriously can’t get here soon enough! And as soon as it does, I’m making this!

by Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen on Sep 30, 2010 at 7:36 pm

28. Jenn – That sounds like a great start. You could always add in a bit more flour if you need to (whole wheat flour would be a great addition). Let me know how it turns out!

by Tracy on Oct 1, 2010 at 3:11 pm

29. I’ve made this before and it’s terrific w/ turkey chili :)

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Oct 2, 2010 at 9:31 am

30. it finally feels like fall here in the north so its time to start cooking like it!!! this is going to be so good with some chili tonight!!

by Jarrelle on Oct 2, 2010 at 9:43 am

31. I love this combo, sounds delicious! I will have to attempt this tonight! Coincidentally I just bought cornmeal. Excited!

by Alycia on Oct 2, 2010 at 8:53 pm

32. I just made this last night, I loved it! Thanks!

by Debbi Does Dinner Healthy on Nov 4, 2010 at 10:12 pm

33. Just made this recipe with a few minor changes and it was AWESOME!!! Thank you for sharing :) I am already getting excited for fall & pumpkin ‘everything’ haha!

by Maggie @ Vittles and Bits on Sep 4, 2011 at 8:19 pm

34. I’m making this tonight for with chorizo chili! I can’t wait.

by Megabite on Oct 6, 2011 at 2:26 pm

35. This recipe is wonderful! I made a batch tonight to serve with pumpkin chili. We all loved it! The kids are requesting it with honey for breakfast in the morning. This is a keeper!

by Marisa on Jan 7, 2013 at 11:51 pm

36. i only had 3/4 cup of pumpkin, so I added a 1/4 cup of homemade applesauce. I also used whole wheat flour. The corn bread was delicious!

by Ann on Feb 7, 2014 at 11:38 am