Caramel-Apple Muffins

Caramel Apple Muffins - 7

Remember when I posted about the doughnut muffins, which I decided were my new favorite kind of muffin? Well, I may have spoken a bit too soon. My baking friend Becky made these caramel-apple muffins based on a recipe from my Taste of Home Fall Baking issue, and they are so addictive, we haven’t been able to stop making them since. We haven’t been able to stop talking about them either, so much so that a mutual friend of ours was demanding that I post the recipe already! I really can’t blame her; once you take a bite and taste the spiced apples and gooey caramel, you’ll be hooked, too. And, they’re as much fun to bake as to eat, because they fill your home with the comforting smell of warm autumn treats…and after stepping inside from a rainy September day, these are the perfect way to shake off the chill!

For the topping:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a muffin pan. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, spices, and salt.

Caramel Apple Muffins - 1

In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, butter, and vanilla.

Caramel Apple Muffins - 2

Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the apples and caramels.

Caramel Apple Muffins - 3

Combine all of the topping ingredients in a small bowl.

Caramel Apple Muffins - 4

Fill muffin pan cups 3/4 full, and then sprinkle the topping over the batter.

Caramel Apple Muffins - 5

Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool in the pan 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm.

Caramel Apple Muffins - 6

Posted by on September 23, 2010.

Tags: , ,

Categories: breakfast & brunch, desserts & sweets

1. these look UNREAL! ok… story time: i once tried to make muffins with those caramels in them – the caramels just sunk to the bottom and stuck to the pans and I had a HUGE mess. gotta try yours!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Sep 23, 2010 at 9:55 am

2. Wow! These sound and look amazing! Caramel and Apple with a cinnamon crunch topping…yummy! The perfect fall muffin. Thanks for sharing and I’m already excited to try these.

by Heather @ Multiply Delicious on Sep 23, 2010 at 9:59 am

3. Oh my! I have a pumpkin apple muffin recipe that I love – I’m imagining those with that topping.

by JenniferA on Sep 23, 2010 at 10:04 am

4. Oh apples and caramel! Yum. I posted caramel apple oat squares a few days ago….now I see this!! Adding it to the list! Thanks!

by Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary on Sep 23, 2010 at 11:19 am

5. I can’t wait to make these! These little gems look delish!

by april on Sep 23, 2010 at 11:25 am

6. OMGOSH, the caramels! I am so making these.

by Jennifurla on Sep 23, 2010 at 11:35 am

7. Y’all are killing me with these recipes. The fat pants are screaming to be let out of the back of the closet. Must resist the power of these muffins.

by Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon on Sep 23, 2010 at 12:42 pm

8. I just made something similar- caramel apple cupcakes! Yours look so great.

by Liz @ Blog is the New Black on Sep 23, 2010 at 1:20 pm

9. Popped in to say hi! These look absolutely amazing.

by Blond Duck on Sep 23, 2010 at 1:59 pm

10. Those look really good…like fall rolled into a muffin!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Sep 23, 2010 at 2:13 pm

11. Caramels in a muffin. Ahhh, that just sounds so decadent.

by Lisa on Sep 23, 2010 at 2:23 pm

12. I’ve just happened upon your blog, and I’m glad I did! These muffins look amazing!

by Kathy @ The Sugar Queen on Sep 23, 2010 at 5:40 pm

13. Oh this looks heavenly! Such a great recipe. I’m so glad you shared it.

by Robyn on Sep 23, 2010 at 5:49 pm

14. These look sooooo amazing! I love the caramel addition!!

by Katrina on Sep 23, 2010 at 7:09 pm

15. Mmm… Yes, please! These muffins look amazing! Caramel is one of my favorite flavors!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Sep 23, 2010 at 9:19 pm

16. These look SO SO good!!

by Jennifer @ Maple n Cornbread on Sep 23, 2010 at 11:31 pm

17. Oh my! These muffins look amazing! You had me apple cranberry but then I discovered that pieces of caramel are in this recipe too….wowsers! YUM!

by Avrilm on Sep 24, 2010 at 9:27 am

18. Opps…I misread the name of this recipe – no cranberries in the muffins….caramels and apples! 🙂

by Avrilm on Sep 24, 2010 at 9:28 am

19. Avril – Haha, no problem…apple-cranberry would make a great combination in these muffins! 🙂

by Tracy on Sep 24, 2010 at 9:34 am

20. this is such a great recipe! Wow, I need a dozen stat!

by Jenny Flake on Sep 24, 2010 at 9:47 am

21. LOVE this recipe!!!

by Maria on Sep 24, 2010 at 9:52 am

22. Got to taste these delecious muffins….WOW…Pop them in the microwave for a few seconds and you have gooey little pockets of caramel……my favorite with a cup of coffee.

by Mom R. on Sep 24, 2010 at 12:04 pm

23. This screams fall. These look amazingly fabulous

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Sep 24, 2010 at 12:12 pm

24. WOW – thse could very easily become my favorite muffins. They look amazingly delicious.

by Eliana on Sep 24, 2010 at 12:45 pm

25. Oooh oooh oooh. These look SO good. And Cardamom! My favorite!

by Amber on Sep 24, 2010 at 12:46 pm

26. This looks fantastic! I didn’t really need more convincing other than the first picture, but the one with the caramel squares thrown in-um, that sent me over the top!

by naomi on Sep 24, 2010 at 1:04 pm

27. Hi, I am from Australia and not sure what sort of caramels you use in this recipe. Are they hard or soft…any particular brand?
    Thanks for making the world a more wonderful place by your blog.
    Regards from the land down-under.
    Angela

by Angela on Sep 24, 2010 at 3:28 pm

28. Angela – They are soft caramels; I think mine were the Kraft brand. Thanks so much! 🙂

by Tracy on Sep 24, 2010 at 3:58 pm

29. These look fantastic! I love the picture in which the caramel is added to the bowl Not sure if all those pieces would make it in my version…:) Well, would make it into my stomach…but not the muffin. 🙂

by Chris on Sep 24, 2010 at 10:15 pm

30. These look absolutely delicious!! I just need to find some similar caramels, and I’ll make them immediately!

by Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on Sep 25, 2010 at 11:52 am

31. What a great idea, love the scrumptious topping!

by Michelle on Sep 25, 2010 at 6:11 pm

32. Oh my goodness!!! THAT is a great way to start the day, and for the middle of the day, and after dinner…. YUM!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Sep 25, 2010 at 7:09 pm

33. It’s still unbelievably hot here in NYC so these are going to have to wait until proper fall weather. But damn I am so excited about making them!

by Joanne on Sep 25, 2010 at 11:23 pm

34. i bake every friday for work and now that the fall is here i am into any recipe with apples! these will be on the menu for this friday! thank you!!!!

by Jarrelle on Sep 27, 2010 at 12:24 pm

35. These look and sound fantastic! Can’t wait to try!!

by Souffle Bombay on Sep 27, 2010 at 8:27 pm

36. Awesome, awesome. Perfect for fall! Love these!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Sep 27, 2010 at 9:42 pm

37. Usually i bake every friday for work but its wine grape season here and we are all stressed and tired so i thought we all needed a little mid week pick me up . . . after hitting the gym last night i stopped by the store to grab some caramels. . . i flew in the door and although after running 3 miles my stomach was telling me to eat i had to hold off because i was so excited to make these! Thank you for a great recipe! they were a hit for hump-wednesday!!

by Jarrelle on Sep 29, 2010 at 9:59 am

38. After seeing your post on Foodgawker – I had to try them for sure. Didn’t make the topping and they were still soooo good!!

by Celine on Sep 30, 2010 at 4:12 pm

39. I just made these but added some chopped candied pecans to the topping. They are so good! My husband inhaled two. 😀

by Courtney on Oct 3, 2010 at 9:56 pm

40. I made these and absolutely fell in love with them! I loved them so much that I posted them on my blog. They are perfect for this fall weather we’re experiencing right now…my favorite kind of weather!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Oct 4, 2010 at 6:14 pm

41. My first batch is in the oven now. 10 minutes to heaven! I used little caramel balls and cinnamon chips. They smell heavenly!

by Jessica Sage on Feb 5, 2012 at 3:23 pm

42. How many muffins does the recipe make?

by Cindy on Aug 25, 2012 at 1:53 pm

43. Cindy – This recipe makes 12 muffins.

by Tracy on Aug 26, 2012 at 7:21 pm