Pumpkin Cheesecake

Pumpkin Cheesecake - 6

I have been loving the cool, crisp days we’ve been having lately (although, not the rain…I can do without that). I’m sure there are warmer days still on the way, but for now I’m enjoying the nice fall weather. This past weekend I also baked my first pumpkin treat of the season, this pumpkin cheesecake, which was a bit of an experiment. You see, I’m not a fan of pumpkin cheesecakes that have so much pumpkin in them that the cheesecakes lose their texture and taste more like pumpkin pie with cream cheese added to the mix. Instead, I like the pumpkin and spices to be much more subtle, which I think really highlights the flavor and texture of the cheesecake. Hubby and I cut into this cheesecake the following day after it had been refrigerated overnight, and we both instantly fell in love with it! It tastes like cheesecake, not pumpkin pie, but it still has a perfectly pumpkin and spice fall flavor. I’ll definitely be making this again – probably for Thanksgiving dinner!

For the graham cracker crust:

• 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 2 tsp ginger
  • 6 Tbsp butter, melted

For the filling:

• 2 pounds cream cheese
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp cardamom
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin purée

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Crush 2 cups worth of graham crackers into a medium bowl. Stir in the ginger, and then stir in the melted butter so that the mixture becomes moist.

Pumpkin Cheesecake - 1

Press the crust into the bottom and slightly up the sides of a 9″ springform pan. Stick the pan in the freezer while you make the cheesecake batter so that the butter will firm up the crust.

Pumpkin Cheesecake - 2

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the sugars and spices. Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the sour cream and pumpkin.

Pumpkin Cheesecake - 3

Pour the batter into the graham cracker crust and smooth out on the top.

Pumpkin Cheesecake - 4

Bake 15 minutes, and then open the oven door and lower the temperature to 200 degrees. Close the door and continue baking for about an hour longer or until the edges of the cheesecake are set but the center still wiggles when the pan is shaken. Cool the cheesecake on a rack and then refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.

Pumpkin Cheesecake - 5

Serve drizzled with warm caramel sauce.

Pumpkin Cheesecake - 7

53 Responses to “Pumpkin Cheesecake”

1. 1 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 9:36 am

Tracy, This looks amazing!!!

2. 2 Jessica @ How Sweet Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 9:37 am

That cheesecake looks perfect! Not a crack in sight – I’m so impressed. And I must admit – this is my favorite way to eat pumpkin!

3. 3 Jamie Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 9:44 am

Gorgeous cheesecake! I just saw the first pumpkin at my fruitseller’s and so want something like this!

4. 4 Prerna@IndianSimmer Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 9:44 am

Hey thr,
    Just stumbled upon your blog, Thanks to twitter! Love the recipes. Guess you’ve got a frequent visitor now :-)

5. 5 Megabite Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 9:45 am

Wow! This is the most perfect looking cheesecake ever. I love the addition of the pumpkin sauce too.

Can you believe that just yesterday at work we were discussing how pumpkin cheesecake > pumpkin pie? Maybe I’ll make this for Thanksgiving.

6. 6 Megabite Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 9:46 am

I meant carmel sauce. :)

7. 7 Jennifer @ Maple n Cornbread Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 9:48 am

*drool* one of my Autumn favorites!!!! I am loving the cooler temps too, best time of year!

8. 8 Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 9:49 am

Absolutely gorgeous cheesecake, and what a perfect way to welcome the fall season!

9. 9 Lindsay Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 9:50 am

That looks so wonderful! Yay for fall!!

10. 10 Amber Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 10:02 am

That is one BEAUTIFUL cheesecake! I think you need to make a visit to New Jersey with that thing when our hot tub is delivered. You can have a soak, and I can have the cheesecake. Deal?

11. 11 My Kitchen in the Rockies Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 10:21 am

Wow, that looks like the perfect cheesecake recipe for me. I have never made a pumpkin one. I will take the recipe to try. Thanks for sharing.
    Have you heard of the canned pumpkin shortage? Only one store in out town still sells it. All the others are already out and customers are told there won’t be any more.

12. 12 Eliana Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 10:36 am

This looks perfect in every way. I’m so ready for get knee deep into baking with Fall flavors. I’m going to buy all the pumpkin I can find at my supermarket this weekend so that I don’t have to deal with any possible shortages!

13. 13 Sandy Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 10:48 am

I’m so making this – and I love how it doesn’t use a lot of pumpkin so you can conserve it :D

14. 14 DessertForTwo Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 11:12 am

Yay for the first pumpkin recipe! It’s officially time for fall recipes! Yay :)

15. 15 Avrilm Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 11:14 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Pumpkin Cheesecake! I make it every Fall for our out of town guests who come to our local Pumpkin Festival. Can’t wait to make it this year….going to use your recipe!

16. 16 Rebecca Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 11:15 am

That looks so much easier than my pumpkin cheesecake recipe that I use every fall. It involves draining the pumpkin puree over a cheesecloth or paper towel. Must try yours!

17. 17 Jennifurla Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 11:29 am

I made your cinnamon appple cheesecake last year, fantastic – so this goes on my list for thanksgiving as well.

18. 18 Cupcake Activist Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 11:51 am

I love this time of year just so I can eat pumpkin desserts again! Pumpkin Cheesecake is my favorite dessert to make at Thanksgiving!

19. 19 Laura Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 11:54 am

Oh delicious! I will so be making this! We have a bakery nearby that makes a pumpkin cheesecake but it is like you said, more like pumpkin pie. My S-I-L would love this cheesecake!
    blessings
    ~*~

20. 20 Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 11:57 am

Damn girl, that top is perfectly set without a single crack. Excellent job.

21. 21 G. Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I knew sometime soon you’d be posting some pumpkin recipes! :) I’m totally going to make this. I, too am not fond of the “too pumpkin-y” cheesecakes. Last time I made a cheesecake, I used gluten-free ginger snaps for the crust and it turned out nice. They might taste good with this recipe too.:)

22. 22 april Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Oh, this looks delicious!! and perfect for the cooler weather we have been having.

23. 23 Kulsum@JourneyKitchen Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I don’t really like pumpkin. But cheesecake is another story.
    And this looks so fabulous, I don’t know what to do!

24. 24 Crystal Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Yum!!

25. 25 Amy (Sing For Your Supper) Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 6:32 pm

I just happen to have lots of cream cheese and a can of pumpkin!!! Hooray!! I’ll be trying this for sure!!

26. 26 Anna Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 7:12 pm

My family and I love pumpkin cheesecake! Yours looks absolutely perfect, not even a crack!

27. 27 Courtney Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Oh yes!! Bring on the fall recipes! Yay! :D Looks delish!

28. 28 Samantha Says:
    September 14th, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I plan to make a brownie cheesecake dessert for Thanksgiving with a pumpkin cheesecake filling. I will have to try it with this recipe, it sounds delicious!

29. 29 Jessica Says:
    September 15th, 2010 at 1:40 am

Oh yum! And what a beautiful picture! I can not wait to try this recipe! Come on Fall!

30. 30 Katrina Says:
    September 15th, 2010 at 8:11 am

This looks so good for fall. I WILL make this asap. Yum!

31. 31 Michelle Says:
    September 15th, 2010 at 10:00 am

This is definitely on my agenda this week! So ready for pumpkin this year!

32. 32 Jenny Flake Says:
    September 15th, 2010 at 10:11 am

Cheesecake Heaven!! Gorgeous!

33. 33 Christine Says:
    September 15th, 2010 at 11:56 am

I LOVE pumpkin cheesecake!!! I’m the same demanding way about my pumpkin cheesecake. It has to be a true cheesecake… none of this mushy pumpkin pie with cream cheese in it. Oh no, ma’am.

I’ve been making a pumpkin cheesecake from an issue of Everyday Food magazine from a few years ago that I LOVE. I only make it once a year though… usually for Christmas and always when I’m expecting company. Otherwise my teen and I would eat the whole thing in a week!

I’m bookmarking your recipe and will give it a try this year! :D

34. 34 torviewtoronto Says:
    September 15th, 2010 at 3:56 pm

delicious flavours

35. 35 bridget {bake at 350} Says:
    September 15th, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I LOVE the picture of that slice! Perfection!

And “2 pounds cream cheese”…how can it be *bad*?!? With that much cream cheese, it has to be good!

36. 36 Maria @ Scandifoodie Says:
    September 16th, 2010 at 3:20 am

Delicious! I’ve never tried pumpkin cheesecake before but I’m already convinced!

37. 37 shelly (cookies and cups) Says:
    September 16th, 2010 at 7:18 am

Pumpkin cheesecake??? YUM…there is no way that this CAN’T be good!

38. 38 Nina Crupiti Says:
    September 16th, 2010 at 10:27 am

This recipe looks great!! I looooove cheesecake, but my body has a hard time processing high-fat dairy products. Does anyone know if I can still make this cheesecake using reduced fat sour cream and cream cheese? Thanks!

39. 39 Tracy Says:
    September 16th, 2010 at 10:51 am

Nina – I actually used both fat free sour cream and 1/3 reduced fat cream cheese when I made this cheesecake. Happy baking! :-)

40. 40 Jen @ How To: Simplify Says:
    September 16th, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I can’t even begin to tell you how much I’m in love with this recipe…and the photo. Everything about this screams fall…and I LOVE it. Love, love, love it.

41. 41 Delishhh Says:
    September 16th, 2010 at 3:12 pm

OH fantastic – i was just going to do a pumpkin cheesecake this weekend to kicoff fall :) And this recipe looks fantastic. Love the blog. You have a new follower.

42. 42 Nina Crupiti Says:
    September 16th, 2010 at 11:13 pm

YAY! GREAT!

43. 43 Maria Says:
    September 17th, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Perfect for fall!

44. 44 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    September 17th, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Your cheesecake looks perfect! Mine never turn out that well, but I’m willing to give it a try anyway :)

45. 45 Kristine Says:
    September 21st, 2010 at 9:56 am

This looks amazing! I just made some homemade caramel sauce and it would go perfectly with this cheesecake.

I just found your blog and look forward to reading more. :)

46. 46 Nicole Carey Says:
    September 22nd, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Okay, everyone has me worried about not having enough pumpkin, so I bought 5 cans! Plus I made this cheesecake last night and it was delish! Everyone at work loved it.

47. 47 Cookin' Canuck Says:
    September 23rd, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I completely agree with you about having a cheesecake with a subtle pumpkin flavor. You can tell from the photos that you achieved the perfect texture!

48. 48 Kathryn Says:
    September 24th, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Oh my gosh, I love pumpkin ANYTHING! I’ll have to try that recipe ASAP!

49. 49 Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) Says:
    September 25th, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Oh Tracy that cheesecake looks wonderful. Even though I’ve never tried a pumpkin cheesecake!

50. 50 Tricia Says:
    September 30th, 2010 at 10:30 am

I made this cheesecake and tried a piece last night. It was very good! I ate it without the caramel and loved it by itself! Thank you for this great recipe to add to my fall collection.

51. 51 Alexandra Says:
    October 10th, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I made this cheesecake for our Thanksgiving dinner tonight, and tried a slice today after a full nights refrigeration. The taste is wonderful – subtle pumpkin, and pleasently mellow spices. However, it seems slightly undercooked. I baked it for the full cooking time, even adding in about eight minutes. It was still very soft and almost mushy in the centre. I’m not sure if it was supposed to be like that, but it didn’t seem firm enough, even for a creamy cheesecake. Next time, I would increase the baking time and just put foil over top so it doesn’t brown too much.

Also, one more thing, this is seriously one of the prettiest cheesecakes I’ve ever made. No cracks whatsoever, and the spices dotted throughout look great! Thanks for a wonderful recipe.

52. 52 michelle Says:
    October 11th, 2010 at 10:12 am

I made this yesterday and followed the recipe completely- I found that I had so much filling that I had to leave aside atleast a third of it and I found the crust was too thick and somewhat dry- not sure if im the only one this has happened to but other than the measurements the filling was fantastic- next time i make it im definatley adding more butter to the crust or using less graham crumbs.

53. 53 Jenny Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 11:16 pm

I made this cheesecake tonight and it came out perfect just like yours pictured! It made a 9 inch pan quite full, so its thick like a new york cheesecake, and I ended up baking it for 15mins at 450, and then about 1hr and 40 mins at 200. This baking method is the best way to do cheesecakes, and a full pan will usually take that long. It sure is good though! I’m using some warmed up Dulce de Leche as my drizzle.

Oh, I also left my graham cracker crust plain (no ginger) and substitued 1/4t ground clove, and 1/4t ground ginger for the 1/2t cardamom, which I didnt have.

Thanks for this recipe!