Doughnut Muffins

Donut Muffins - 5

You may or may not have already seen these muffins circulating around the Internet, but I just had to share them with you. I was first introduced to them in all their doughnut-y glory by Jen of How to: Simplify at the Big Summer Potluck (the original recipe can be found here). Sitting on the table of goodies in a big, inviting basket, I was drawn to them by some sort of inescapable gravitational pull. Not that I wanted to escape, mind you. These spiced, fluffy muffins are coated with cinnamon-sugar, and they really do taste like doughnuts! I made them the weekend after the Big Summer Potluck for family staying with us, just to have around for breakfast…and by the end of the weekend, all but one had been devoured. If you haven’t tried these yet, make them this weekend…even better if there’s company around to share them with!

For the topping:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a muffin pan with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices.

Donut Muffins - 1

In another medium bowl, stir together the oil, sugar, egg, and milk.

Donut Muffins - 2

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined.

Donut Muffins - 3

Spoon the batter into the muffin pan and bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Donut Muffins - 4

While the muffins are baking, melt the butter. In a small bowl, whisk together the cinnamon and sugar. When the muffins are done, carefully remove them from the pan. While they are still warm, dip each one first into the melted butter, and then in the cinnamon-sugar to coat. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving.

Donut Muffins - 6

Posted by on September 10, 2010.

Categories: breakfast & brunch

1. I keep seeing these floating around the Internet – yours look so good. Perfect for this time of year, too!

by Liz @ LBBakes on Sep 10, 2010 at 8:29 pm

2. I made these a little while back too. They’re fabulous!

by Barbara Bakes on Sep 10, 2010 at 8:52 pm

3. yes please, can I have the last one! THis look so super good.

by Jennifurla on Sep 10, 2010 at 9:02 pm

4. I still haven’t made these muffins… but I really need to! I just need to find an occasion when there will be other people to eat them so that I don’t eat the entire batch (which I would do, I’m ashamed to admit).

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Sep 10, 2010 at 9:20 pm

5. I want to make these little treasures ASAP!!! I can practically taste the yumminess of these muffins through through my computer screen! :-)

by Avril on Sep 10, 2010 at 9:58 pm

6. Oh these look so yummy! Wish I could reach out and take a bite :)

by Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} on Sep 11, 2010 at 1:53 am

7. Yum! They look wonderful. I wish I had one to go with my tea right now:)

by Raina on Sep 11, 2010 at 7:29 am

8. I’ve always wanted to make donut muffins, but have never gotten around to it. These look so good, I’ll have to try them asap!

by Katrina on Sep 11, 2010 at 7:49 am

9. I want to make these so bad. But I know I would eat them all!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Sep 11, 2010 at 8:10 am

10. I made these a few weeks ago, and they are a huge hit… my kids, my kids friends, and their parents ask for them all the time! :-)

Tasha

by ThatsSoYummy on Sep 11, 2010 at 8:49 am

11. A friend of mine made these and brought them over….they were delicious!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Sep 11, 2010 at 8:58 am

12. Those look delicious!!

by Jenni on Sep 11, 2010 at 10:08 am

13. These things in the morning, coffee, laptop? come-on. I’m excited!!!

by Defunk on Sep 11, 2010 at 10:56 am

14. Well, I got an email from kiddo’s school saying they need muffins for a teacher breakfast. Hmm….guess what I’ll be bringing? Thanks, once again, for the delicious inspiration!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Sep 11, 2010 at 12:56 pm

15. beautiful blog! All of your pictures are so inviting. Adding you to my RSS!

by Trisha on Sep 11, 2010 at 4:38 pm

16. Today I wanted to make baked doughnuts but i hadn’t doughnut pan so those muffins seems like a wonderful idea

by debby on Sep 12, 2010 at 3:56 am

17. Tracy – These are so good and so easy to make. Like Jen says, the only problem is having them around the house. My husband actually took one out of the freezer and ate it before it defrosted! Here’s a new twist…put a dollop of jelly in the middle of the filled muffin cup, cover with about a teaspoon of batter and smooth over so the jelly can’t be seen. Jelly doughnut muffins!!!

by Nancy-The Sensitive Pantry on Sep 12, 2010 at 7:05 am

18. I’ve never seen these before, but man they look good! Definitely making these this week!

by Patty on Sep 12, 2010 at 9:38 am

19. Omg yum! These rock!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Sep 12, 2010 at 11:20 am

20. Wow these are so cute and look to die for!!

by Jenny Flake on Sep 13, 2010 at 9:53 am

21. Great breakfast treat!

by Maria on Sep 13, 2010 at 10:03 am

22. Ahhh! These look delicious! I can’t make them because I’m afraid I’ll eat them all!

by Cupcake Activist on Sep 13, 2010 at 1:52 pm

23. I loved these when Jen posted them, and yours look awesome! I need to make time to make these!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Sep 13, 2010 at 3:46 pm

24. A friend of mine make Doughnut Muffins and they are so good!

by Michelle on Sep 13, 2010 at 8:21 pm

25. I was one crazy person who actually didn’t grab one of these at the Potluck! My loss, darn it. I am having company this weekend – how far ahead do you think I could bake these and have them still be great on Saturday morning?

by JenniferA on Sep 13, 2010 at 9:51 pm

26. I’ve seen them around.. this confirmed the temptation must turn into a realization. I need to make these! :)

by Courtney on Sep 13, 2010 at 10:54 pm

27. Doughnut muffins are the best! My favorite part is the cinnamon sugar coating. So delicious. Yours look perfect :)

by Eliana on Sep 14, 2010 at 10:41 am

28. I’m so happy that you made this recipe, Tracy! Your doughnut muffins look absolutely wonderful! That’s great to hear that they were a huge hit with your visitors!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Sep 14, 2010 at 12:57 pm

29. I was just thinking about these muffins these other day. I’ll take your post as a sign that I need to make them asap.

by Cookin' Canuck on Sep 14, 2010 at 11:33 pm

30. I keep seeing these around.. really need to get around to making them. They look wonderful!

by Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on Sep 15, 2010 at 12:01 pm

31. These look delicious–and so easy!

My German grandmother used to make homemade donuts that I think would be reminiscent in flavor and texture to these. But yours are baked and not fried!! I must try it!

by Christine on Sep 15, 2010 at 12:39 pm

32. Those look amazing! Would I be a terrible mother if I fixed donuts for dinner?

by Kim on Sep 17, 2010 at 3:35 pm

33. These are SO worth a lifetime on the hips…. Yummo!!!

by Tiffany @ Mine Are Spectacular! on Sep 20, 2010 at 8:12 am

34. Oh, I’ve gotta try these! I love cinnamon sugar donuts and your little muffin bites look amazing. Now my mouth is watering!

by Amanda on Sep 24, 2010 at 1:29 pm

35. My husband just brought me a jug of cider, which is one of my FAVORITE things, and these muffins sound like the perfect thing to go with it. I think I’ll make them this week!

by Bee on Sep 27, 2010 at 10:18 pm

36. They look yummo! My hubby is a donut fiend so I’m definitely going to have to make these.

by Marisa on Sep 30, 2010 at 10:10 am

37. I found your blog on Tasty Kitchen and I am already hooked! I can’t wait to make quite a few recipes already.

by Alicia on Oct 1, 2010 at 8:57 am

38. Oh wow….those look fantastic!!! and so easy too :) thanks for sharing. I hadn’t come across them yet.

by Danielle on Oct 3, 2010 at 3:22 pm

39. These are by far the best muffins I have ever made! They were all gone in under a minute. : ) Thank you so much for sharing this!

by Jessica on Dec 3, 2011 at 4:59 pm

40. These came out AMAZING! My husband loves them.

by Joslin on Dec 22, 2011 at 10:21 pm

41. i just made these with my friend, and they are delicious! my friend has already eaten 2 and they’re still warm!

by kristen y on Feb 16, 2012 at 11:37 pm