Roasted Beet, Artichoke, and Sweet Corn Salad

Roasted Beet, Artichoke, and Sweet Corn Salad - 3

I have to (shamefully) admit that before this salad, I’ve never eaten beets before. And, despite the fact that they’ve been abundant at our CSA every week this summer, I’ve avoided them. Finally, last week I decided that I needed to face my fear of beets…so I turned to my friends on Twitter and asked for beet recipes. The response was overwhelming! But even more than that, I couldn’t believe how great all of the recipes sounded. Full of new inspiration, I threw together this salad based on several different recipes and what I had on hand in my pantry. I couldn’t believe how full of flavor it was and what I’ve been missing by avoiding beets…I certainly won’t be avoiding them anymore!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a small baking sheet with foil. Peel the beets and chop them into small chunks. Place on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and garlic powder. Bake 30-40 minutes or until tender.

Roasted Beet, Artichoke, and Sweet Corn Salad - 1

Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the ears of corn just until tender, 3-4 minutes. Remove from the water and let cool before cutting the corn off the cob. Quarter the artichoke hearts.

Roasted Beet, Artichoke, and Sweet Corn Salad - 2

Toss together the beets, corn, and artichokes. Sprinkle with the basil and goat cheese.

Roasted Beet, Artichoke, and Sweet Corn Salad - 4

Posted by on September 5, 2010.

Tags: , , ,

Categories: soups, salads, & sides

1. This salad looks so good! I bookmarked it 🙂 Thanks for the recipe!

by Katrina on Sep 6, 2010 at 8:42 am

2. never had beets! I am in shock – this looks superb

by Jennifurla on Sep 6, 2010 at 1:13 pm

3. Great fall salad! I have to admit I have never cooked with beets either, maybe they are just not an east coast thing. You have convinced me to try them, though..thanks:)

by Raina on Sep 7, 2010 at 8:44 am

4. I have been avoiding them like the plague forever. Looks like I need to start getting over my silly fears.

by Eliana on Sep 7, 2010 at 3:31 pm

5. That looks lovely! Last year I gave all of the beets from our CSA to my mom because I didn’t want to deal with them. This year, I’ll have to give them a try.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Sep 7, 2010 at 9:33 pm

6. What a gorgeous gorgeous salad! AND it looks sooo yummy too! I look forward to making it myself. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

by Avril on Sep 9, 2010 at 5:11 pm

7. My husband and I loved it! Thank you for this great recipe!

by Diana Swedlund on Mar 1, 2011 at 9:10 pm