Noir Bars

Noir Bars - 8

Note: This post was originally published March 30, 2009. I’ve modified the recipe since then (and I’ve also updated the photos). Enjoy!

First things first; fall is here! If you don’t know me by now, you know that fall is my absolute favorite season. Yep, I’m that crazy person who starts putting fall decorations up around the house in mid-August, much to my husband’s chagrin (although I do wait to put the fall wreath up on the door until September 1st, so that our neighbors won’t know how crazy I am. Sad, but true). I also wanted to point out that a good friend of mine, Heather, has updated my header for the season – and I’m in love with it (see, I waited to put it up until today!). If you’re looking for any kind of graphic design work, check out her site and shoot her an e-mail. And now, on to the post!

Sometimes, when you’re having a really bad day (or week), you know the only thing that’s going to make it a little bit better is chocolate.  A simple candy bar isn’t going to do it, or even a pint of good chocolate ice cream. I’m talking a really bad day here, when what you need is the “you’re-probably-going-to-gain-5-pounds-after-you-even-look-at-this” kind of chocolate. Well, this is that kind of chocolate. They’re called noir bars since “noir” means “black” in French, and there are three layers of chocolatey goodness – a layer of ganache, which tops a layer of chocolate cheesecake, which tops a layer of chocolate cookie. Just remember to cut yourself a small piece – it’s so rich, one little square is enough!

Chocolate cookie base:

Chocolate cheesecake filling:

Ganache:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a medium-sized bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Combine the rest of the cookie base ingredients and stir until well-blended.

Noir Bars - 1

Spread the cookie dough in the bottom of a greased 13×9″ pan and bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove from the oven and cool completely (about 30 minutes).

Noir Bars - 4

In the meantime, melt 2 Tbsp of the butter and 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips in a sauce pan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Set aside. Using an electric mixer, cream the remaining 6 Tbsp butter with the cream cheese in a large bowl. Beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla, and then beat in the cooled chocolate mix.

Noir Bars - 2

Spoon the filling over the cooled cookie base. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, approximately 2 hours.

Noir Bars - 5

For the ganache, heat the cream, chocolate, and instant coffee over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth.

Noir Bars - 3

Cool until lukewarm and then pour over the filling.

Noir Bars - 6

Refrigerate uncovered until set, about 2 hours. Store covered in the refrigerator.

Noir Bars - 7

Posted by on September 1, 2010.

Tags: , ,

1. I definitely need to make these!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Sep 1, 2010 at 1:15 pm

2. I love Fall too. Soups, stews, roast dinners, and that crisp in the air that means cooler temperatures but not snow – yet. I just sent this recipe to my husband. He’s a chocolate fiend. He said one word: WANT.

by Amber on Sep 1, 2010 at 1:15 pm

3. Love the fall banner. And these look insanely delicious!!

by JenniferA on Sep 1, 2010 at 1:17 pm

4. Fall is my absolute favorite time of year! I should start decorating NOW to get the full enjoyment out of the season. I always feel that fall gets shortchanged since most of us decorate for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving when fall doesn’t really end until Dec 21st! I might NEED some of this dessert too. Looks scrumptious! Thanks.

by CJ on Sep 1, 2010 at 1:46 pm

5. Your poll was difficult. I would have voted for everything except football. :p

by CJ on Sep 1, 2010 at 1:47 pm

6. Great pics, great food – love the header too! Now I want to change mine!

by Jennifurla on Sep 1, 2010 at 2:00 pm

7. I almost want to fight people who don’t say Fall is the best!
    Your banner I noticed right away and had a good stare 🙂
    Stared at something else here awhile too 😉

by phyllis on Sep 1, 2010 at 2:12 pm

8. OMYumminess!!!! I WANT one of these bars RIGHT NOW!!! I serious do.

Love your honestly about your Fall decorating….along with the fact that you don’t put a Fall wreath on the door until 9/1 – even though the house INSIDE is decorated in Fall! Would love to see your Fall decor…post some pic’s! 🙂

by Avril S. Miller on Sep 1, 2010 at 2:21 pm

9. Wow, that looks and sounds amazing! I don’t know that the batter would even make it to the final product. It looks sooooo good!

by Cupcake Activist on Sep 1, 2010 at 2:39 pm

10. Loving the fall header 🙂 Also loving the sounds of these bars! But… not quite sure they are on my wedding diet!

by Rebecca on Sep 1, 2010 at 3:51 pm

11. WOW! Everything I love in one little bite! I need to make these! Lovely!

P.S. Fall is my favorite season too! Love it!

by Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary on Sep 1, 2010 at 3:54 pm

12. Oh my word, this looks so delicious! I think I’ll make these for our Labor Day get together.

Robyn

by Robyn on Sep 1, 2010 at 4:21 pm

13. Ummm…yum?!!! That middle filling looks divine in the bowl. I love fall too- I just wish the weather would catch up with the season!

by Heather @ Side of Sneakers on Sep 1, 2010 at 4:55 pm

14. I’ve had a rough week. These bars are all I need.

by Katrina on Sep 1, 2010 at 5:57 pm

15. These look so rich and smooth. What a great chocolate treat!

by Maria on Sep 1, 2010 at 7:18 pm

16. I’m not gonna lie, I’m a fall girl myself. I tried to hide all the pumpkin I ate all summer from my roommates but eventually gave up. They think I’m crazy, but if it means i can eat pumpkin to my heart’s desire, I’m okay with that.

This chocolate dessert looks dreamworthy. That would make the worst of worst days amazingly awesome! Delicious.

by Joanne on Sep 1, 2010 at 10:10 pm

17. wow! I got to give this one a try! Thanks for the recipe

by Nicole on Sep 1, 2010 at 10:26 pm

18. These bars look absolutely wonderful! I will have to make them. Also, you are not alone with the whole fall thing. It is also my favorite time of year too. Whats not to love.

by Brook on Sep 2, 2010 at 12:10 am

19. Oogey, Gooey and Chewy!!! Love the photos!

by Michelle on Sep 2, 2010 at 1:18 am

20. I love fall too, there is just so much to enjoy! Holidays, family, weather, I can’t wait. This recipe looks absolutely decadent and delicious! Look forward to trying it! Will share this link with my friends. Thanks for sharing.

by D. Archer on Sep 2, 2010 at 1:20 am

21. These look utterly amazing! I love anything having to do with chocolate and cheesecake, so I would polish off this whole pan!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Sep 2, 2010 at 8:04 am

22. Um.. Yes, please! Two of the greatest words in the English language – triple chocolate. Mmmm. Thanks for the recipe – and the photos are gorgeous!

by Kelly on Sep 2, 2010 at 9:11 am

23. That first picture is doing bad bad things to me…like making me want to make it. Real bad. Wow! That just looks so good!

by Elizabeth on Sep 2, 2010 at 11:57 am

24. These look so good!

by Lori on Sep 2, 2010 at 6:50 pm

25. Tracy, Tracy, Tracy…how could you do this to me?! There is no conceivable way that I am going to be able to resist making these. Wow!

by Cookin' Canuck on Sep 4, 2010 at 4:46 pm

26. Do you actually add butter to the ganache as specified in your directions? You do not have that as an ingredient under ganache. If you do, how much?

by Teresa on Sep 5, 2010 at 1:11 pm

27. Oh my yum! These look soooooo good! Great photos, looks so easy I can’t wait to try it.

by Pretty. Good. Food. on Sep 5, 2010 at 9:27 pm

28. Teresa – Nope, there is no butter in the ganache – sorry for the typo! (And thanks for letting me know!) 🙂

by Tracy on Sep 6, 2010 at 12:48 pm

29. Goodness gracious! I swear it, I’m going to show up on your doorstep one day!!! I MUST make these! MUST!!! Thank you!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Sep 6, 2010 at 9:14 pm

30. Chocolate ganache, cheesecake and cookie-yeah, I’m there! I will be making these babies, good day or bad day, I will make it an eating day! Love it.

by naomi on Sep 7, 2010 at 2:45 pm

31. I do have to admit seeing this recipes and its accompanying photos made me thing two immediate things. 1) WANT NOW! and 2) I simply CANNOT throw out my hand mixer! Look at how adorable those hand mixer swirls are! You may have just saved a hand mixers life…

by Heather on Sep 7, 2010 at 5:29 pm

32. Love your site! just found you on FoodGawker! Wow!

by Alison Lewis on Sep 7, 2010 at 6:21 pm

33. This is just wrong… but so right! I need fall to arrive faster so that I can eat these and then hide under a bulky sweater 🙂

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Sep 7, 2010 at 8:47 pm

34. I just recently found your site and oh wow these look delicious! They are at the top of my list of things to make!
    I have one question though, is the instant coffee brewed? Or the powder stuff straight from the jar/can?
    Thanks so much for sharing all of these delicious recipes!

by Kate on Oct 29, 2010 at 6:24 pm

35. Kate – I used the powdered stuff straight from the jar. Enjoy! 🙂

by Tracy on Oct 31, 2010 at 9:36 am

36. I made these last night for some friends, and EVERYONE asked for the recipe. They were delicious! 🙂

by Monica on Nov 18, 2010 at 12:55 pm

37. What a decadent chocolate recipe! I used a small, square cutter, dipped in hot water to make them like petite fours. Then I took Betty Crocker ready-icing and made ornate designs on them and dusted them with edible gold powder. I put them in gold foil muffin tins, and voilà, a million dollar dessesrt, thanks to you!

by Diana Swedlund on Mar 1, 2011 at 9:06 pm

38. I just found your website, and it looks great! These look amazing!

by Kathy @ The Sugar Queen on Mar 29, 2011 at 11:51 am