Noir Bars

Noir Bars - 8

Note: This post was originally published March 30, 2009. I’ve modified the recipe since then (and I’ve also updated the photos). Enjoy!

First things first; fall is here! If you don’t know me by now, you know that fall is my absolute favorite season. Yep, I’m that crazy person who starts putting fall decorations up around the house in mid-August, much to my husband’s chagrin (although I do wait to put the fall wreath up on the door until September 1st, so that our neighbors won’t know how crazy I am. Sad, but true). I also wanted to point out that a good friend of mine, Heather, has updated my header for the season – and I’m in love with it (see, I waited to put it up until today!). If you’re looking for any kind of graphic design work, check out her site and shoot her an e-mail. And now, on to the post!

Sometimes, when you’re having a really bad day (or week), you know the only thing that’s going to make it a little bit better is chocolate.  A simple candy bar isn’t going to do it, or even a pint of good chocolate ice cream. I’m talking a really bad day here, when what you need is the “you’re-probably-going-to-gain-5-pounds-after-you-even-look-at-this” kind of chocolate. Well, this is that kind of chocolate. They’re called noir bars since “noir” means “black” in French, and there are three layers of chocolatey goodness – a layer of ganache, which tops a layer of chocolate cheesecake, which tops a layer of chocolate cookie. Just remember to cut yourself a small piece – it’s so rich, one little square is enough!

Chocolate cookie base:

• 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 1 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 cup semisweet baking chocolate, melted

Chocolate cheesecake filling:

• 3/4 cup dark baking chocolate, cut into chunks
  • 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese
  • 1 stick butter, divided (2 Tbsp + 6 Tbsp)
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Ganache:

• 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2 Tbsp instant coffee or espresso

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a medium-sized bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Combine the rest of the cookie base ingredients and stir until well-blended.

Noir Bars - 1

Spread the cookie dough in the bottom of a greased 13×9″ pan and bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove from the oven and cool completely (about 30 minutes).

Noir Bars - 4

In the meantime, melt 2 Tbsp of the butter and 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips in a sauce pan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Set aside. Using an electric mixer, cream the remaining 6 Tbsp butter with the cream cheese in a large bowl. Beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla, and then beat in the cooled chocolate mix.

Noir Bars - 2

Spoon the filling over the cooled cookie base. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, approximately 2 hours.

Noir Bars - 5

For the ganache, heat the cream, chocolate, and instant coffee over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth.

Noir Bars - 3

Cool until lukewarm and then pour over the filling.

Noir Bars - 6

Refrigerate uncovered until set, about 2 hours. Store covered in the refrigerator.

Noir Bars - 7

38 Responses to “Noir Bars”

1. 1 Jessica @ How Sweet Says:
    September 1st, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I definitely need to make these!

2. 2 Amber Says:
    September 1st, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I love Fall too. Soups, stews, roast dinners, and that crisp in the air that means cooler temperatures but not snow – yet. I just sent this recipe to my husband. He’s a chocolate fiend. He said one word: WANT.

3. 3 JenniferA Says:
    September 1st, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Love the fall banner. And these look insanely delicious!!

4. 4 CJ Says:
    September 1st, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Fall is my absolute favorite time of year! I should start decorating NOW to get the full enjoyment out of the season. I always feel that fall gets shortchanged since most of us decorate for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving when fall doesn’t really end until Dec 21st! I might NEED some of this dessert too. Looks scrumptious! Thanks.

5. 5 CJ Says:
    September 1st, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Your poll was difficult. I would have voted for everything except football. :p

6. 6 Jennifurla Says:
    September 1st, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Great pics, great food – love the header too! Now I want to change mine!

7. 7 phyllis Says:
    September 1st, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I almost want to fight people who don’t say Fall is the best!
    Your banner I noticed right away and had a good stare :)
    Stared at something else here awhile too ;)

8. 8 Avril S. Miller Says:
    September 1st, 2010 at 2:21 pm

OMYumminess!!!! I WANT one of these bars RIGHT NOW!!! I serious do.

Love your honestly about your Fall decorating….along with the fact that you don’t put a Fall wreath on the door until 9/1 – even though the house INSIDE is decorated in Fall! Would love to see your Fall decor…post some pic’s! :-)

9. 9 Cupcake Activist Says:
    September 1st, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Wow, that looks and sounds amazing! I don’t know that the batter would even make it to the final product. It looks sooooo good!

10. 10 Rebecca Says:
    September 1st, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Loving the fall header :) Also loving the sounds of these bars! But… not quite sure they are on my wedding diet!

11. 11 Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary Says:
    September 1st, 2010 at 3:54 pm

WOW! Everything I love in one little bite! I need to make these! Lovely!

P.S. Fall is my favorite season too! Love it!

12. 12 Robyn Says:
    September 1st, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Oh my word, this looks so delicious! I think I’ll make these for our Labor Day get together.

Robyn

13. 13 Heather @ Side of Sneakers Says:
    September 1st, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Ummm…yum?!!! That middle filling looks divine in the bowl. I love fall too- I just wish the weather would catch up with the season!

14. 14 Katrina Says:
    September 1st, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I’ve had a rough week. These bars are all I need.

15. 15 Maria Says:
    September 1st, 2010 at 7:18 pm

These look so rich and smooth. What a great chocolate treat!

16. 16 Joanne Says:
    September 1st, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I’m not gonna lie, I’m a fall girl myself. I tried to hide all the pumpkin I ate all summer from my roommates but eventually gave up. They think I’m crazy, but if it means i can eat pumpkin to my heart’s desire, I’m okay with that.

This chocolate dessert looks dreamworthy. That would make the worst of worst days amazingly awesome! Delicious.

17. 17 Nicole Says:
    September 1st, 2010 at 10:26 pm

wow! I got to give this one a try! Thanks for the recipe

18. 18 Brook Says:
    September 2nd, 2010 at 12:10 am

These bars look absolutely wonderful! I will have to make them. Also, you are not alone with the whole fall thing. It is also my favorite time of year too. Whats not to love.

19. 19 Michelle Says:
    September 2nd, 2010 at 1:18 am

Oogey, Gooey and Chewy!!! Love the photos!

20. 20 D. Archer Says:
    September 2nd, 2010 at 1:20 am

I love fall too, there is just so much to enjoy! Holidays, family, weather, I can’t wait. This recipe looks absolutely decadent and delicious! Look forward to trying it! Will share this link with my friends. Thanks for sharing.

21. 21 Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker Says:
    September 2nd, 2010 at 8:04 am

These look utterly amazing! I love anything having to do with chocolate and cheesecake, so I would polish off this whole pan!

22. 22 Kelly Says:
    September 2nd, 2010 at 9:11 am

Um.. Yes, please! Two of the greatest words in the English language – triple chocolate. Mmmm. Thanks for the recipe – and the photos are gorgeous!

23. 23 Elizabeth Says:
    September 2nd, 2010 at 11:57 am

That first picture is doing bad bad things to me…like making me want to make it. Real bad. Wow! That just looks so good!

24. 24 Lori Says:
    September 2nd, 2010 at 6:50 pm

These look so good!

25. 25 Cookin' Canuck Says:
    September 4th, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Tracy, Tracy, Tracy…how could you do this to me?! There is no conceivable way that I am going to be able to resist making these. Wow!

26. 26 Teresa Says:
    September 5th, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Do you actually add butter to the ganache as specified in your directions? You do not have that as an ingredient under ganache. If you do, how much?

27. 27 Pretty. Good. Food. Says:
    September 5th, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Oh my yum! These look soooooo good! Great photos, looks so easy I can’t wait to try it.

28. 28 Tracy Says:
    September 6th, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Teresa – Nope, there is no butter in the ganache – sorry for the typo! (And thanks for letting me know!) :-)

29. 29 bridget {bake at 350} Says:
    September 6th, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Goodness gracious! I swear it, I’m going to show up on your doorstep one day!!! I MUST make these! MUST!!! Thank you!

30. 30 naomi Says:
    September 7th, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Chocolate ganache, cheesecake and cookie-yeah, I’m there! I will be making these babies, good day or bad day, I will make it an eating day! Love it.

31. 31 Heather Says:
    September 7th, 2010 at 5:29 pm

I do have to admit seeing this recipes and its accompanying photos made me thing two immediate things. 1) WANT NOW! and 2) I simply CANNOT throw out my hand mixer! Look at how adorable those hand mixer swirls are! You may have just saved a hand mixers life…

32. 32 Alison Lewis Says:
    September 7th, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Love your site! just found you on FoodGawker! Wow!

33. 33 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    September 7th, 2010 at 8:47 pm

This is just wrong… but so right! I need fall to arrive faster so that I can eat these and then hide under a bulky sweater :)

34. 34 Kate Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I just recently found your site and oh wow these look delicious! They are at the top of my list of things to make!
    I have one question though, is the instant coffee brewed? Or the powder stuff straight from the jar/can?
    Thanks so much for sharing all of these delicious recipes!

35. 35 Tracy Says:
    October 31st, 2010 at 9:36 am

Kate – I used the powdered stuff straight from the jar. Enjoy! :-)

36. 36 Monica Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I made these last night for some friends, and EVERYONE asked for the recipe. They were delicious! :)

37. 37 Diana Swedlund Says:
    March 1st, 2011 at 9:06 pm

What a decadent chocolate recipe! I used a small, square cutter, dipped in hot water to make them like petite fours. Then I took Betty Crocker ready-icing and made ornate designs on them and dusted them with edible gold powder. I put them in gold foil muffin tins, and voilà, a million dollar dessesrt, thanks to you!

38. 38 Kathy @ The Sugar Queen Says:
    March 29th, 2011 at 11:51 am

I just found your website, and it looks great! These look amazing!