Pumpkin Ice Cream

Pumpkin Ice Cream - 5

With the summer winding down and cooler weather beginning to arrive, I finally decided it was time to get out my ice cream maker and make some ice cream. Why it took me this long I’m not really sure, although perhaps it had something to do with my newfound addiction to canning everything in sight. In any case, I thought it fitting to bring the two seasons together by making pumpkin ice cream, which I’ve had on my list of things to try ever since I saw it on David Lebovitz’s blog. And since apple picking season will be underway soon, I’ll be looking forward to trying out a scoop of this ice cream on top of a slice of warm apple pie.

Recipe adapted from The Craft of Baking by Karen DeMasco & Mindy Fox and David Lebovitz.

Make an ice bath by filling a large bowl with some ice and cold water. Set a smaller bowl in the bath, and place a mesh strainer on top.

Pumpkin Ice Cream - 1

In a medium bowl, stir together the milk, cream, granulated sugar, spices, and salt. Pour the mixture into a sauce pan, and over medium-high heat, heat just until it begins to boil.

Pumpkin Ice Cream - 2

In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Gradually whisk in a third of the warm milk mixture, stirring constantly. Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan with the rest of the milk mixture and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon (a thermometer should read between 160-170 degrees). Immediately pour the mixture through the strainer and into the bowl in the ice bath. Mix in the brown sugar and then chill thoroughly.

Pumpkin Ice Cream - 3

Whisk in the vanilla, rum, and pumpkin puree, and then press the mixture through a mesh strainer once again. Churn in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.

Pumpkin Ice Cream - 4

Makes about 1 quart.

Pumpkin Ice Cream - 5

Posted by on August 24, 2010.

1. YUM!!!!

by Nicole Underwood on Aug 24, 2010 at 10:35 am

2. This is my favorite ice cream flavor! SO excited for Fall.

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Aug 24, 2010 at 10:35 am

3. I discovered pumpkin ice cream last year! Now only the weather could start feeling like fall over here…

by Dorothy on Aug 24, 2010 at 10:40 am

4. I just LOVE LOVE pumpkin, I am ready for fall!

by Jennifurla on Aug 24, 2010 at 10:53 am

5. Oh man oh man oh man – this recipe is just like my favorite pumpkin cake recipe. So I wll be making this ASAP!

by Eliana on Aug 24, 2010 at 11:58 am

6. I’ve always wanted an ice cream maker and my mom just found hers in her basement and she never uses it so, she’s going to send it to me. I can’t wait! I’ll have to try this one. I wonder how it would taste with chocolate chips in it?

by G. on Aug 24, 2010 at 12:12 pm

7. I love pumpkin ANYTHING–sweet or savory. Pumpkin ice cream is one of my and my daughter’s favorites. This recipe sounds SO delicious. I bet the rum adds nice depth to the flavor.

If it makes you feel any better, I haven’t gotten out the ice cream maker all summer either! 😉

by Christine on Aug 24, 2010 at 2:46 pm

8. this looks wonderful! I can’t wait to try it!

by Cara on Aug 24, 2010 at 3:04 pm

9. YUM! I love everything pumpkin – nice to have a little fall flavor at the end of summer 🙂

by Christina @ Bon Appetit Beantown on Aug 24, 2010 at 3:51 pm

10. I’ve never thought of pumpkin as ice-cream..you put a whole new perspective for me on pumpkins..i never really like pumpkin but as ice-cream, i might like it! 😀

by faithy on Aug 24, 2010 at 9:43 pm

11. Pumpkin Ice Cream….sign me up!!! I am SO ready for pumpkin season. This is a good way to start when it’s still 98 degrees outside!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Aug 25, 2010 at 7:00 am

12. How great..a fall flavor in an ice cream..best of both 🙂

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Aug 25, 2010 at 8:31 am

13. That sounds wonderful..the perfect fall treat. And putting it on top of apple pie would be fantastic:)

by Raina @ The Garden of Yum on Aug 25, 2010 at 8:34 am

14. This is so awesome! Look at that gorgeous color! Can’t wait to try this 🙂

by Jenny Flake on Aug 25, 2010 at 9:43 am

15. Great fall dessert, I think I will dive in early though. I can’t wait til fall..ha!

by Maria on Aug 25, 2010 at 10:02 am

16. LOVE pumpkin ice cream and such a great photo!

by Michelle on Aug 25, 2010 at 10:37 am

17. YAY! So excited to start to see pumpkin recipes crop up! I’m totally ready for fall and I will be sure to have a batch of this in the freezer for my apple desserts!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Aug 25, 2010 at 12:49 pm

18. I love pumpkin flavored treats! I’ll have to give this recipe a try! It’s perfect since fall is right around the corner!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Aug 25, 2010 at 5:52 pm

19. I made pumpkin ice cream about 4 years ago for Thanksgiving, but never since. I can still taste it, it was that good! What a great way to kick off fall! It’s still 100° degrees here every day, not to mention we don’t really get a fall season, but I pine for it, as it is my favorite season of the year!

by Kitty on Aug 25, 2010 at 6:05 pm

20. This ice cream is such a pretty color and I can imagine that it tastes just like autumn.

by Cookin' Canuck on Aug 25, 2010 at 11:49 pm

21. The more you get to know me, the more you will find….I LOVE PUMPKIN EVERYTHING! I literally can’t wait to make this pumpkin ice cream 🙂 I love seeing how all the recipes on blogs are sort of hinting at the arrival of Autumn, my favorite season 🙂

by Maggy@ThreeManyCooks on Aug 27, 2010 at 7:29 am

22. Oh how I love pumpkin ice cream! I haven’t ever tried making it myself, but there’s a first time for everything. Definitely trying it this year!

by Katie @ goodLife {eats} on Sep 1, 2010 at 10:51 pm