Rum Peach Butter

Peach Butter - 4

I’ve been wanting to make some type of preserves with peaches ever since summer first hit, so when the grocery store began overflowing with them, I went for it. I really wanted to find a place to pick them, but I figured that since we had already picked strawberries and cherries this year (and apples are coming up soon!) it’d be better to just snag some locally grown peaches from the store. I decided that instead of spicing up the butter with several of my favorite fall spices like I normally do, I’d add in some spiced rum and let the magic happen. Don’t worry, the alcohol cooks down as the peaches simmer…but the taste that’s left behind really augments the flavor of the butter. Plus, I just love the gorgeous color! It’ll be a cheery reminder of summer when I’m popping open a jar this winter.

First, pit and coarsely chop the peaches.

Peach Butter - 1

In a large sauce pan, combine peaches, water, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until peaches are soft, about 20 minutes.

Peach Butter - 2

Run the peaches through a food processor and then a food mill to puree the peaches. Measure 8 cups of peach puree.

Peach Butter - 3

In a large sauce pan, combine the peach puree, spices, and sugar. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently. Add in the rum. Continue boiling gently until the mixture thickens and holds its shape on a spoon, about 30-40 minutes.

When ready to can, prepare your supplies. Bring the temperature of the glass jars up by processing them in hot water for several minutes. Heat a few cups of water in a small saucepan for the lids. When the jars are ready, fill them with the butter to 1/4″ headspace and place the lids and bands on top, screwing on the bands just to fingertip-tight. Place the full jars back into the boiling water and boil 10 minutes. Remove from the water and place the jars on a towel, and let the jars cool. The seals should suck down (you’ll hear a popping noise as they do). Makes 5 eight-ounce jars.

Posted by on August 21, 2010.

Categories: canning

1. This sounds so good. I think I’ll make it this weekend.

by Melissa on Aug 21, 2010 at 2:19 pm

2. Sounds and looks tasty!! I’m going peach picking early next week! I’ve got peach recipes racing through my head like crazy– I can’t wait!

Enjoy! 🙂

by Christine on Aug 21, 2010 at 3:49 pm

3. WoW! My mouth is watering.

by meghan on Aug 21, 2010 at 3:59 pm

4. So THAT’S why the rum is gone 😛

by Laura on Aug 21, 2010 at 5:02 pm

5. Yum! Tracy I think you should bring me some of this so I have it for breakfast tomorrow. 😉

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Aug 21, 2010 at 6:02 pm

6. This sounds wonderful. A great way to use peaches for sure:)

by Raina @ The Garden of Yum on Aug 21, 2010 at 9:23 pm

7. This sounds wonderful!!

by Ingrid on Aug 22, 2010 at 12:39 am

8. What kind of Rum did you use? White, dark or spiced?

by Tracey Kuzemczak on Aug 22, 2010 at 4:55 pm

9. Tracey – I used Captain Morgan spiced rum. 🙂

by Tracy on Aug 22, 2010 at 5:46 pm

10. this looks deliciously wonderful!!! oh my… i am absolutely including rum in my next batch of butter! i love it!

by Tiffany on Aug 22, 2010 at 10:45 pm

11. I have a raging case of canning envy. Maybe my next house will have enough space for canning gear and canned goods. Maybe. Hopefully.

by Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon on Aug 23, 2010 at 8:40 am

12. This peach butter looks divine! I would love some of this slathered on a warm piece of buttery toast. YUM! Talk about starting a morning right 😉

by Maggy@ThreeManyCooks on Aug 23, 2010 at 9:29 am

13. WOW…peaches and rum sound delicious and such a gorgeous color too!

You have the same food mill I do and I just love mine!

by Michelle on Aug 23, 2010 at 9:48 am

14. I have to make this before peach season is over!

by Maria on Aug 23, 2010 at 9:51 am

15. Wow, this is gorgeous, need some on toast right now!!

by Jenny Flake on Aug 23, 2010 at 10:24 am

16. This sounds so good! I would love to cover a couple slices of toast with this! Yum!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Aug 23, 2010 at 11:46 am

17. You had me at the rum!

by Eliana on Aug 23, 2010 at 4:38 pm

18. Oooh la la… rum peach butter sounds beyond amazing!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Aug 23, 2010 at 6:24 pm

19. Rum and peaches? I am definitely going to have to make this.

by Cookin' Canuck on Aug 25, 2010 at 11:21 pm

20. Oh, delicious!

by Sandy on Aug 29, 2010 at 5:25 pm

21. Yummy I have about 10# of peaches i am going to make this!

by Kristina on Aug 31, 2010 at 11:19 am

22. Ooh… That looks LOVELY! I am a big fan of rum, and I can imagine how amazing this must be with all of those lovely spices.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Sep 1, 2010 at 9:05 pm

23. I hate it when people leave a message of all the changes they made to a recipe, but I think I misunderstood a couple things. I use a scale all the time and I had 12 lbs of fresh peaches and planned to make a couple different things with them, one being this recipe. When I measured my rum, I had exactly 1 cup so decided to double this recipe. After removing the pits and peelings from my 12 lbs, and doing the initial cook and mash, (I used an immersion blender since I don’t have a mill), it took the entire 12 lbs to yield the 16 cups of puree. On looking back at the pictures, perhaps the peelings were not removed, but it doesn’t seem like that would make such a difference. My peaches were straight from the orchard and had very little waste. I think I should have let them cook down a little more since the batch is not nearly as thick as apple butter, even tough I ended up putting the pan in the oven at 250 for 3 hours since I couldn’t watch if carefully. I plan to not add the water next time. Total yield was 7 pints and 6 half pints from the double recipe. Any suggestions?

by Verona Barrows on Aug 13, 2013 at 9:52 am