Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Maple Glaze

Sour Cream Coffee Cake - 5
While packing for the Big Summer Potluck this past weekend, I spent most of my time thinking about what kind of snack or dessert to bring. Even though we weren’t required to bring a dish to share, I decided that I just couldn’t attend an event with “potluck” in the title and not bring something along! However, since I had several hours in the car and I was also leaving on Friday, I needed something that didn’t require refrigeration and that would make it there in one piece. The first idea that popped into my mind was cookies, but I couldn’t decide on what kind to make! I had just changed my mind and had settled on making some kind of quick bread when I remembered the coffee cake I’d made earlier in the week. It stays perfectly moist wrapped in aluminum foil at room temperature for up to 3 days, and it’s easy to transport – sold!

This recipe makes one loaf, but you can double it to make two loaves or one 10×4″ bundt cake.

For the coffee cake:

For the glaze:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×5″ loaf pan. Cream the sugar and butter together in a medium bowl, and then beat in the egg and vanilla.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake - 1

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat into the butter mixture alternately with the sour cream just until combined.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake - 2

Whisk together the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Spread a fourth of the batter into the loaf pan and sprinkle with 1/4 of the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Repeat the layers 3 more times.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake - 3

Bake 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. While the cake is cooling in the pan, make the glaze. Stir the maple syrup into the powdered sugar gradually until the glaze is thick and smooth. (You can add additional maple syrup if the glaze is too thick.)

Sour Cream Coffee Cake - 4

Remove the cake from the pan and let cool on a rack. Drizzle with the glaze while still warm, and then again once cooled completely.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake - 6

Posted by on August 11, 2010.

Tags:

Categories: breakfast & brunch, desserts & sweets

1. Ok, this is the most gorgeous coffee cake I have ever seen! YUM!

by Jenny Flake on Aug 11, 2010 at 9:42 am

2. I’m totally drooling. I need this now.

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Aug 11, 2010 at 9:42 am

3. I wish I would of eaten breakfast before reading this post. I want it NOW!! My oatmeal just won’t taste good..ha!

by Maria on Aug 11, 2010 at 9:47 am

4. Ah, so YOU’RE the culprit. Pam sent me home with some slices after she saw how much I enjoyed them. I had them for dinner the night I arrived home. And then I swore I would get even with whoever made that evil concoction.

Of course now that I know it’s you, although I said I wanted to get even, what I really want to do is to say thank you and give you my mailing address so you can send me more. 🙂

by ivoryhut on Aug 11, 2010 at 9:47 am

5. Mmm maple syrup 😀

by Sandy on Aug 11, 2010 at 10:13 am

6. Mmmmm…I am sipping a cup of coffee right now and would love a slice of this along side it! Delish

by foodies at home on Aug 11, 2010 at 11:29 am

7. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! Although I didn’t’ get a chance to try some, I’ve only been hearing amazing things about this cake. Now I can make it at home! Yay!

It was also wonderful and amazing to meet you. You have a sweet disposition that I love. Hope our paths cross again soon.

by Alice on Aug 11, 2010 at 12:14 pm

8. I love, love, love coffee cake, and this looks fabulous!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Aug 11, 2010 at 12:52 pm

9. WOW….I’ve not made Sour Cream Coffee Cake in YEARS. The added Maple Glaze sounds just wonderful!

by Michelle on Aug 11, 2010 at 2:42 pm

10. It looks absolutely perfect – especially with that glaze on top. Wish I had a thick slice of this right now.

by Eliana on Aug 11, 2010 at 3:40 pm

11. This looks like something i would love! The glaze looks wonderful too! Great shot too!

by faithy on Aug 12, 2010 at 4:33 am

12. Wow, looks fantastic! I can’t wait to try. Coffee cake is my weakness.

by Claudia's Cookbook on Aug 12, 2010 at 10:57 am

13. Oh how pretty, the inside look divine

by Jennifurla on Aug 12, 2010 at 11:25 am

14. Sounds wonderful and looks amazing! Definitely the perfect dessert to bring to any occasion:) I wish I had some now with my coffee.

by Raina @ The Garden of Yum on Aug 12, 2010 at 12:09 pm

15. I’m in love with this recipe! It looks perfect!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Aug 12, 2010 at 5:50 pm

16. this looks like just the perfect brunch bread! my family will love this! pretty picture… like it’s waiting for me.

by Tiffany on Aug 12, 2010 at 9:28 pm

17. This coffee cake was really the best I’ve ever had – so moist and cinnamony and sweet!

by Maggy@ThreeManyCooks on Aug 12, 2010 at 11:50 pm

18. This sounds so good! I am going to a luncheon/picnic on Thursday and I am totally going to make this to bring 😉

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Aug 13, 2010 at 1:25 pm

19. I am literally drooling!! It looks wonderful. Bookmarked!

by Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on Aug 14, 2010 at 12:29 pm

20. Oh my! This coffee cake looks so moist and I’m certain that maple glaze is addictive.

by Cookin' Canuck on Aug 14, 2010 at 7:00 pm

21. I love coffee cakes (especially because the name indicates, to me at least, that they can be eaten for breakfast!)… I’m sure the sour cream makes this super moist!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Aug 15, 2010 at 9:02 pm

22. Anything with maple glaze has my vote!!! This looks SO delicious!

by Amy (Sing For Your Supper) on Aug 16, 2010 at 12:15 pm

23. Oh this looks so good! I’m making it this weekend. I think I may even add bacon to it. I love bacon with maple syrup. Thanks!

by Karen W on Aug 19, 2010 at 10:31 am

24. I saw your recipe featured on Tasty Kitchen today and had to check it out. I have the same recipe on my site too. Same name but different quantities on the ingredients. http://katiescooking.com/breakfast/sour-cream-coffee-cake-with-maple-glaze/

I have always made mine in a bundt cake pan but I think I will try it your way next time. This recipe is always a crowd pleaser with my family! : )

by Katies Cooking on Aug 19, 2010 at 3:18 pm

25. Katie, that’s so funny! I’ll have to try out your version; it looks amazing too!

by Tracy on Aug 19, 2010 at 4:46 pm

26. *sigh*…the coffee cake *sigh*…your gorgeous pictures.

I’m so glad I “met” you. Your blog always makes me very happy….and fat.

by bridget {bake at 350} on Aug 20, 2010 at 8:49 pm

27. The maple glaze sounds super yummy! Great way to top it off!

by Ingrid on Aug 22, 2010 at 12:43 am

28. This looks delicious! I’m always looking for twists on the coffee cake and the maple glaze sounds delicious.o

by Russell van Kraayenburg on Sep 1, 2010 at 11:24 pm

29. This was fabulous…got gobbled up fast…

by Zoe on Nov 9, 2010 at 8:12 pm