Big Summer Potluck

Big Summer Potluck 2010

Photo courtesy of David (aka Mr. Three Many Cooks) and Erika

This past weekend, I attended the Big Summer Potluck hosted by Pam, Maggy, and Sharon of Three Many Cooks and Erika of The Ivory Hut in Bucks County, PA. After being so disappointed about other food blogging conferences always being held on the West coast, I nearly fell out of my chair with joy when I received an e-mail from Maggy inviting me to this event. At first I wasn’t sure I’d be able to go, but in the end it worked out perfectly – the hubby was already going to be down in Lancaster, PA for another event…so Friday morning, I drove there to meet up with him for dinner and to check into our hotel. The next morning, both nervous and excited, I drove 2 hours over to Bucks County. When I finally stepped out of my car to see a steady stream of people arriving, my stomach was in knots. Was I crazy to drive all this way to meet up with people I’d met online? But when I stepped in the door and saw Maggy’s smiling face, I was immediately put at ease.

Big Summer Potluck - 2

The day started off with a lovely breakfast, complete with the amazing Donut Muffins brought by Jen of How to Simplify (seriously - they’re addicting). But I had to laugh, because instead of grabbing a plate and digging in, we all pulled out our cameras and starting clicking away. Only at a food blogging event…I felt right at home!

Big Summer Potluck - 1

After breakfast and mingling, we started with a session on how to make a recipe your own by Pam Anderson herself, monthly columnist for USA Weekly, contributing editor to Fine Cooking, and author of several beautiful cookbooks. Her session was followed by a cooking demo by Abby Dodge, baking expert and author of The Weekend Baker, which I’ve had on my shelf forever. I couldn’t believe I was actually meeting them both!

Big Summer Potluck - 3

After Abby had us all drooling over a delicious four-ingredient dessert from her new book, we had another session by Pam on how to write your own recipes. She compared two recipes; one at the beginning stages of writing and testing, and the second version which had been further tested and edited, and it was so helpful to me that this was one of my favorite sessions. We then had a session led by food stylist Melissa DeMayo, where she taught us some tricks of the trade for making our food look irresistible.

Big Summer Potluck - 4

Following Melissa’s session was a lovely photography session with Erika in which I took copious notes, especially during the part of her lesson on post-processing. We had a break for lunch afterward, where I ate one of the best sandwiches I’ve ever tasted…and after more mingling and chatting, we heard from Jason and Christina from Auritt Communication Group, followed by a session with our keynote speaker, Alice of Savory Sweet Life. And what a wonderful session it was! Alice spoke about blogging from the heart and being true to yourself, and I couldn’t have enjoyed it more. Plus, I got the chance to chat with her during the tea time afterward (where the goodies everyone made were brought out) and she really is a perfectly genuine, talented, and generous person. What a joy to have her there to speak to us!

Big Summer Potluck - 12

After tea time, we all crowded around Sharon for an open forum, where we asked questions and discussed anything blogging-related that was on our minds.

Big Summer Potluck - 6

As the last session came to a close, there were cocktails and snacks to enjoy, and Maggy started off the raffle. A variety of items were raffled off, including tons of great things from KitchenAid, and I couldn’t believe it when I was the second person picked to win one of the items!

Big Summer Potluck - 5

I of course went for the Keurig coffee maker donated by Green Mountain Coffee, due to my massive coffee addiction. And as if that weren’t enough, we were each given a bag filled with goodies from various sponsors (and these adorable cookie favors brought by Jen of My Kitchen Addiction!), which included a copy of Pam’s new cookbook that will come out next month…and let me just tell you, you’re in for a real treat – I drooled over it all the way home!

Big Summer Potluck - 7

All in all, I am so very glad to have attended the Big Summer Potluck! Each blogger I met is a wonderful and talented person, and of course we all couldn’t have asked for better hostesses who put so much heart and hard work into putting on this event. I loved the small setting of this event – and even more, I loved that it was on the East coast so that I could attend! Thanks so much to Pam, Maggy, Sharon, Erika, and each of the men and women who helped to  put on such an amazing event!

Here are some more photos from the day…I only wish that I’d had more time to chat and take pictures with everyone!

Big Summer Potluck - 10

Big Summer Potluck - 8

Big Summer Potluck - 9

Big Summer Potluck - 11

For many more photos of the Big Summer Potluck, check out Erika’s photos here!

25 Responses to “Big Summer Potluck”

1. 1 Jessica @ How Sweet Says:
    August 10th, 2010 at 9:56 am

It looks like so much fun! I really wish I could have gone!

2. 2 Jenny Flake Says:
    August 10th, 2010 at 9:57 am

Oh my gosh, how fun!! I wish I could have been there to have fun with all of you beautiful ladies! Great re-cap! Look at those raffle prizes too! Fun!

3. 3 Kristin @ The Dinky Kitchen Says:
    August 10th, 2010 at 10:14 am

Beautiful photos!! You really captured the day! How’s the Keurig treating you?

4. 4 Beth @ 990 Square Says:
    August 10th, 2010 at 10:17 am

Hey, you’re standing next to my friend Wendi from Bon Appetit Hon in the first picture! Looks like a great event!

5. 5 The Nifty Foodie Says:
    August 10th, 2010 at 10:18 am

Oh my gosh! I wish we had events like that near me! Totally jealous of the fun you had. Looks like a blast!

6. 6 Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon Says:
    August 10th, 2010 at 10:19 am

I can’t wait for Big Summer Potluck – The Sequel. Your photos really captured the spirit of the day. Looking at the one of Pam and Abby, you can just feel the fun.

7. 7 Wenderly Says:
    August 10th, 2010 at 10:21 am

Very fun! Loved reliving the day through your post! I so enjoyed meeting in the flesh!

8. 8 Tara @ Smells Like Home Says:
    August 10th, 2010 at 10:26 am

Great recap and beautiful photos, Tracy!

9. 9 Tickled Red Says:
    August 10th, 2010 at 10:36 am

I love your post. I had so much fun meeting all of you but it did go entirely to fast. I needed two more days so that I could talk to all of you. It was such an inspiring warm event and I am grateful that we were able to finally meet. xoxo

10. 10 Heather Says:
    August 10th, 2010 at 10:40 am

Oh my goodness looks like you had an awesome weekend :) Photos are gorgeous too!

11. 11 JenniferA Says:
    August 10th, 2010 at 10:41 am

What a nice roundup of the day. Your photos are lovely! I agree with Tickled Red – I wish there was even more time to get to meet and chat with every person there. Congrats on the Keurig!

12. 12 Amber Says:
    August 10th, 2010 at 10:42 am

Tracy, what a great post! Like Wendy said, that photo of Abby and Pam captures the spirit of the day. I love it when Pam gets the giggles – when I first met her she burst into a fit of those and we all laughed for like an hour straight. An infectiously lovely person.

In fact, each and every one of the food bloggers at this event was an infectiously lovely person. I couldn’t have asked for a more wonderful Saturday. And I’m so glad that you and I have bonded over this Keurig! Next thing you know, I’ll have you convinced you need their milk frother so you can make your own lattes without a capaccino machine. *insert evil laughter here*

13. 13 Bee Says:
    August 10th, 2010 at 11:42 am

Looks like a great weekend! :)

14. 14 G. Says:
    August 10th, 2010 at 2:11 pm

How fun! You took some really great pictures, too. That is so great that Alice was the keynote speaker. I would have loved to hear her. I make her recipes a lot! Glad you had a great time. Have fun with your new Keurig! :)

15. 15 Jennifurla Says:
    August 10th, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Looks fantastic! What a great time

16. 16 Eliana Says:
    August 10th, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I really want to try to make it next year. Looks like you guys had loads of fun.

17. 17 Kara Says:
    August 10th, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I know everyone’s already said it but that picture of Pam and Abby… it’s just perfect. Weren’t they both the most fun and genuine people you’d met?

I’m so glad we had a chance to chat, albeit too short… thankfully we have these wonderful blogs (some of which are updated more frequently than others… speaking of none other than myself) to keep in touch!!

18. 18 Kristin Says:
    August 12th, 2010 at 1:15 pm

How fun! I grew up in Bucks County. Such a beautiful place. Glad you were able to go!

19. 19 Tracy Says:
    August 12th, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Kristin – The Keurig is wonderful! How about your shiny new KitchenAid?? :-)

20. 20 Christine Says:
    August 13th, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Sounds and looks like everyone had a great time. I had to laugh out loud when you said that everyone started photographing the food instead of eating it straight away! It shouldn’t come as a surprise given the people in attendance, but it still made me laugh. :lol:

21. 21 Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) Says:
    August 14th, 2010 at 12:33 pm

This looks like soo much fun!! Wish I could attend too. Ofcourse, I would have chosen a KA!

22. 22 Cookin' Canuck Says:
    August 14th, 2010 at 6:59 pm

What a fantastic event! It looks as though you had a ball and met all sorts of wonderful bloggers.

23. 23 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    August 15th, 2010 at 8:35 pm

What a lovely recap of the day! It was so fun to meet you… We’ll have to do it again sometime soon. Hooray for East Coast blogging events!

24. 24 Catherine Says:
    August 16th, 2010 at 12:36 pm

This looks like so much fun! Look at all those goodies in the raffle, I’m so jealous! :D

25. 25 Cassie Says:
    August 16th, 2010 at 2:15 pm

That sounds like so much fun!!!! Congrats on your win!