Kale Chips

Kale Chips - 3

When I got kale from our CSA a few weeks ago, I was pretty excited about it since I had never tried it before. I didn’t really know what to do with it though, so I asked one of the owners of our CSA. She said that she likes to make kale chips, so I decided to give them a try with the freshly picked kale as soon as I got home – and boy, was I surprised! I didn’t think they were going to be that good, but they were wonderfully crisp and crunchy. Plus, they’re a much healthier snack than potato chips. If you’ve never tried them before, you should definitely add them to your list. They’re simple, inexpensive, and best of all, healthy!

Here are the only things you need:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Rinse the kale and pat it dry.

Kale Chips - 1

Remove the stems. Cut the leaves away from the center rib in large pieces. Toss the pieces with the olive oil in a small bowl, and then sprinkle them with the salt.

Kale Chips - 2

Lay out the leaves in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes or until crisp.

Kale Chips - 3

Posted by on August 5, 2010.

Tags:

Categories: appetizers

1. the kale chips seem to be a trend lately. I’ve seen them on a lot of blogs. I think I will have to try them. I love cooked kale so I’m sure I’ll love it this way, too!

by G. on Aug 5, 2010 at 9:09 am

2. I just dont know…..maybe one day I will try them – not a kale lover myself. Lovely pics

by Jennifurla on Aug 5, 2010 at 12:37 pm

3. I have never had kale chips before but they look and sound delicious. Can’t wait to try them for myself.

by Eliana on Aug 5, 2010 at 1:29 pm

4. I got a recipe for kale chips in my organic co-op’s newsletter over the winter and I have it pinned on my refrigerator but still haven’t tried it. I always end up simply sauteing the greens in olive oil and garlic. I will try this one day!

by Christine on Aug 5, 2010 at 1:52 pm

5. My daughter-in-law has been after me to make these. I have a big bag of fresh kale in my fridge…today may be the day. Thanks for the nudge.

by Jane @ Sweet Basil Kitchen on Aug 5, 2010 at 3:01 pm

6. I just recently made beet chips from my csa produce and I’m thinking that Kale chips may be my next project. Your chips look delicious!

by erin @ Naturally Ella on Aug 5, 2010 at 3:04 pm

7. I eat Kale Chips probably 2-3 times a week! They are my favorite. I’m glad you enjoyed them! Try them with a little red pepper flakes for some heat! I haven’t gotten Kale in my CSA yet… my farm says they aren’t growing a ton but I am so addicted to these chips that I get Kale from another farm. I’m craving them now! And yes, much better than potato chips!

by Lizzy on Aug 5, 2010 at 4:21 pm

8. This looks really good! I have never tried Kale. Do you just get it at your local grocery store?

by Dee on Aug 7, 2010 at 5:40 pm

9. LOVE Kale and have some growing in the garden so will be trying this – yep, seems like several blogs are talking about kale, but I think that’s absolutely fine!

by SMITH BITES on Aug 8, 2010 at 7:48 pm

10. I have yet to try this, but every time I see it I think about how much I want to. Sadly we missed out on our CSA this year, and also the farmer’s market for this week (I was instead at an out-of-the-way house in PA with some pretty fabulous people, people who win Keurigs and have lovely smiles), but I’ll make a point to grab some at next Saturday’s market. I can’t resist Kale chips any longer!

by Amber on Aug 9, 2010 at 7:39 am

11. Dee – I got this kale from my CSA, but my grocery store also sells it, so you should be able to find it there. 🙂

by Tracy on Aug 9, 2010 at 12:49 pm

12. Mmmmmm Im so gonn ask mom to get some kale!!! These look soooo good!! and they seem really easy to make too!!!

by Laura on Aug 9, 2010 at 5:50 pm

13. I have made these before and they were way better than I expected….I burnt a batch, but the others came out great!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Aug 11, 2010 at 9:34 am

14. Any suggestions for storing kale chips. I have tried tupperware, plastic bags, etc. and they are always soft – having lost their crispiness by the next day 🙁

by Wonder on Oct 18, 2011 at 12:39 am

15. I know I’ll be trying these! For those of you who dislike the taste of raw kale, let me tell you that cooked, appropriately seasoned kale is a whole new world! Tasty, very inexpensive, and packed with nutrients!

by noliah on Jan 18, 2012 at 4:20 pm