Cheddar Chive Muffins

Cheddar Chive Muffins - 5

Upon receiving a whole bunch of chives from our CSA over the past few weeks, I put my mind to work thinking of ways I could use them other than as a garnish. No sooner had I decided that I wanted to bake something than these savory muffins sprang to mind! These are very unlike your standard sweet breakfast muffin, but in a good way – and although I did enjoy a few of these for breakfast, I enjoyed them more often with dinner; I think they would be the perfect companion to soup or chili. Either way, they were refreshingly different, and they were the perfect way to make a dent in my abundance of fresh chives. Feel free to experiment with other herbs as you like – rosemary (my personal favorite) is next on my list!

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a muffin pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

Cheddar Chive Muffins - 1

Stir in the shredded cheese and chives.

Cheddar Chive Muffins - 2

Stir in the egg, milk, and butter.

Cheddar Chive Muffins - 3

Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Pour the batter into the muffin pan.

Cheddar Chive Muffins - 4

Bake 20-25 minutes. Serve warm.

Cheddar Chive Muffins - 6

Posted by on July 20, 2010.

Tags: , ,

Categories: breakfast & brunch

1. I think I need to add some bacon. 🙂

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Jul 20, 2010 at 9:49 am

2. What a fabulous use of your abundance of chives! I have a ton of chives in the garden right now that I need to use, these sound down right perfect!

by Jennifer @ Maple n Cornbread on Jul 20, 2010 at 10:29 am

3. I love savory muffins/scones. Yours looks scrumptious. Rosemary sounds wonderful.

by Erica Lea {Cooking for Seven} on Jul 20, 2010 at 10:41 am

4. Ohh they look delicious! savory muffins are so good 🙂

by Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} on Jul 20, 2010 at 1:50 pm

5. great idea, I agree with soup/chili this is a total homerun…you could always add bacon bits too! ha

by Jennifurla on Jul 20, 2010 at 2:12 pm

6. Cheesy muffins, cheesy scones, I love them all – especially warm from the oven with melting butter.

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Jul 20, 2010 at 3:47 pm

7. This appeals to me ten times more than a cookie or piece of cake. I love savory.

by Chaya on Jul 20, 2010 at 4:42 pm

8. I think adding sour cream or buttermilk into the recipe would be really tasty with the cheese and chive flavor profile.

These looks very delicious. I definitely have to try this recipe. They kind of remind me of the cheddar bay biscuits from Red Lobster that people tend to be so crazy about. So garlic would go well with these, too.

by Allyson N. Jason on Jul 20, 2010 at 8:03 pm

9. What a perfect way to use chives. I agree with Jessica – some bacon would have taken these over the top.

by Eliana on Jul 20, 2010 at 8:56 pm

10. These look so good! Love savory muffins.

by Maggy@ThreeManyCooks on Jul 21, 2010 at 8:54 am

11. Gorgeous muffins!! I could eat a half dozen of these bad boys!!

by Jenny Flake on Jul 21, 2010 at 10:09 am

12. I’ve been wanting to make savoury muffins for some while, but your recipe made me really curious. The combination of chive and cheese sounds divine! And they look scrumptious!

by Sarka on Jul 21, 2010 at 12:08 pm

13. Oh my goodness. I’m sure you know about my love for muffins…and, well, these just look and sound fabulous!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Jul 21, 2010 at 4:09 pm

14. Love the chives and cheddar in there!

by Maria on Jul 21, 2010 at 4:54 pm

15. Gorgeous muffins! I love cheddar and chive carbs 🙂

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Jul 21, 2010 at 8:11 pm

16. What a perfect way to use chives. I can imagine dipping these into a bowl of soup.

by Cookin' Canuck on Jul 21, 2010 at 11:23 pm

17. Hi, just found your blog via Tasty Kitchen. I was looking for new recipes to use up my tons of zucchini and found your Dark Chocolate Zucchini Cake. Terrific blog! I’m going to add you to my reading list right after I go check out all your scrumptious recipes! Glad I found you! Lisa

by Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary on Jul 22, 2010 at 11:14 am

18. It looks yummy. How much is 1/4 stick of butter in grams?

by mili on Jul 22, 2010 at 12:37 pm

19. Mmmmmm, I’ve got a ton of chives growing in my backyard…looks like they’re about to get a new home! LOL

by Fuji Mama on Jul 23, 2010 at 6:00 am

20. I’ve never made savory muffins before…I think I need to make these!

by Taylor on Jul 30, 2010 at 12:10 am

21. I made some this afternoon to give hand out at an artist’s studio tour, but I had to have one myself. They are delicious!

by Katherine on Apr 15, 2011 at 6:41 pm

22. I used garlic chives from my garden to make these and they were great! My family loved them.

by Tara on Aug 6, 2013 at 1:24 pm