Bread & Butter Pickles

Bread & Butter Pickles - 3

After my first pickling experience, I was pretty sure I was never going to pickle anything again. I just didn’t enjoy the process – it was messy, everything smelled like vinegar all day, and I really didn’t know what to do with pickled carrots (I still don’t). It wasn’t until a camping trip we took with friends that I got excited about pickling again, because one of my friends had brought along her grandma’s bread & butter pickles. I don’t even like pickles, and I fell in love with these! She told me that her grandma’s secret was that she threw in some summer squash along with the cucumbers. So, that’s exactly what I did for this month’s Tigress Can Jam challenge, which was cucurbits. I used the recipe for bread & butter pickles from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, and made my modifications from there…and this time, I turned the fan on over the stove and opened every window in the house, which kept the vinegar smell to a minimum. Instead of pint-sized jars, I used eight-ounce jars – the perfect size for a picnic basket!

In a glass bowl, combine the cucumbers, squash, onions, and salt. Mix well, then cover with cold water and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours.

Bread & Butter Pickles - 1

Transfer to a colander, rinse with cool water, and drain thoroughly.

Bread & Butter Pickles - 2

When ready to can, prepare your supplies. Bring the temperature of the glass jars up by processing them in hot water for several minutes. Heat a few cups of water in a small saucepan for the lids.

In a large pot, combine the vinegar, sugar, mustard and dill seeds, and turmeric. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Stir in the vegetables and return to boiling.

When the jars are ready, pack the vegetables into the hot jars to within 1/2″ at the top of the jar. Ladle hot pickling liquid into the jars to cover the vegetables, leaving 1/2″ headspace.

Bread & Butter Pickles - 4

Place the full jars back into the boiling water and boil 10 minutes. Remove from the water and place the jars on a towel, and let the jars cool. The seals should suck down (you’ll hear a popping noise as they do). Makes 5 eight-ounce jars.

Posted by on July 17, 2010.

Tags: , ,

Categories: canning

1. I love pickles and homemade bread and butter pickles must taste wonderful. The idea of adding the summer squash sounds great. Those will sure be delicious on a sandwich:) I have to try canning one of these day; you have inspired me.

I also wanted to tell you that I made your BBQ chicken and pineapple quesadilas. They were delicious. Everyone in my family loved them, and believe me, that is not an easy thing to accomplishment. I will be blogging about them eventually. Could not get any pics this time..gobbled up too quickly. Thanks again.

by Raina @ The Garden of Yum on Jul 17, 2010 at 8:31 pm

2. Raina – I hope you do try canning; it becomes quite addicting! ;-) And, I’m so glad to hear that everyone loved the quesadillas – they’re definitely a new favorite in our house, too!

by Tracy on Jul 17, 2010 at 9:06 pm

3. YUM! They scream summer!

by Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} on Jul 17, 2010 at 9:10 pm

4. Those pickles look amazing. I too am new to pickle admiring, having never developed a taste for them, so it is great when the sight of some colourful jars makes me want to have a taste. You are inspiring me to make some.

by Gloria on Jul 18, 2010 at 6:45 am

5. I purchased a jar of squash bread and butter pickles at a farmers’ market and I’ve been planning to make some myself ever since. They’re great when you want bread and butter pickles in a sandwich without the crunch of a cucumber pickle. The softness of them also keeps you from pulling a pickle out of the sandwich when you take a bite like sometimes happens with a cucumber pickle. Sometimes you want crunch and sometimes you don’t!

Can’t wait to make these!

by Michelle on Jul 18, 2010 at 12:07 pm

6. Pickling can be quite the long fuss but so worth it! your pickles look So good!

by Jennifer @ Maple n Cornbread on Jul 18, 2010 at 3:29 pm

7. these are really beautiful—love the color the turmeric gives them! i had a failed attempt at pickling cucumbers myself, but love pickling other stuff. maybe i’ll give it another try. great photos, too!

by the cosmic cowgirl on Jul 18, 2010 at 6:24 pm

8. What gorgeous colors and a fabulous looking recipe, love it!

by Jenny Flake on Jul 19, 2010 at 9:45 am

9. I’ve never made pickles! I want to now!

by Maria on Jul 19, 2010 at 10:13 am

10. These look so pretty, I love yellow courgette but you don’t see it in the UK very often.

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Jul 19, 2010 at 10:15 am

11. Is it bad that whenever I see pickles my mouth immediately begins to water? I would love to have one of those pickles right now!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Jul 19, 2010 at 3:00 pm

12. Everyone says that pickling is so worth it. From the looks of this creation, it seems so.

by Eliana on Jul 19, 2010 at 3:43 pm

13. Bread and butter pickles are my favorite! I am excited to start canning this year and I think I am most excited for pickles!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Jul 19, 2010 at 7:37 pm

14. I love pickles! These look fantastic. What a great photo too!

by Maggy@ThreeManyCooks on Jul 19, 2010 at 8:48 pm

15. I can eat these…many of these! :)

by Ingrid on Jul 19, 2010 at 9:47 pm

16. Aww these remind me of home so bad! I love making pickles!!

by Katrina on Jul 20, 2010 at 1:32 am

17. I’m not a fan of pickles, either, but we have a lot of cucumber plants this summer! (No cucumbers yet, though, because we planted very late.) Hubby loves pickles, so I’m hoping to find a recipe I like, too. Maybe this is the one!

by Small Town Runner Karen on Jul 20, 2010 at 10:10 am

18. I love the addition of summer squash in these pickles. Bread and butter pickles are popular in my house and our summer squash will be ripe soon.

by Cookin' Canuck on Jul 21, 2010 at 4:39 pm

19. These pickles look lovely! I love that you added summer squash… I’ll have to try that with my next batch!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jul 22, 2010 at 9:23 pm

20. Ok, I haven’t hauled out my canning equipment in a couple of years now, but you may have just provided the impetus for me to do so! These looks SO good.

by Fuji Mama on Jul 23, 2010 at 6:33 am